Copa America 2021 - Final - Brasil x Argentina - 7/10/21 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    No it not and its the same critical mistakes were repeated in the copa final as in bel vs. bra game in 2018. tite has shown he lacks critical thinking in important games.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Belgium and Argentina combined for 3 goals against Brazil, and 1 of these was an own goal. That's hardly 7-1.

If your argument is that Tite is so outdated that keeping him makes it likelier Brazil will lose by 6 goals again, then that'll have to wait until the final whistle of Brazil's last match at the 2022 World Cup for substantiation. Until then, it's a pessimistic prognostication fed by your biases.

But if you wish to make an argument Tite made mistakes against Belgium which he repeated against Argentina, that's closer to the heart of the matter insofar what transpired during 90 minutes in Kazan and in Rio de Janeiro. That however is a completely distinct and separate issue altogether from the probability of another 7-1, which neither you nor even someone like Romário can prove.

Releasing him now would be utter foolishness and as I wrote earlier, a reflection of the "fire the coach when things go sour" mentality. Tite made Brazil better by leaps and bounds from his first match in September 2016 to the 2018 World Cup. There have been setbacks since that tournament, but Brazi has won far more than it has lost and the way Brazil has dominated against South American opponent is not only reminiscent of the Brazil of the early 1960s; Brazil is even BETTER in the sense that Brazil's longest streak of clean sheets during the heyday of Pelé was 5 matches.

Tite is staying, and that's a good thing.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
  4. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    lol my biases, south america football is so degraded that it won't win another world cup for long time. the other teams in south america are even more mediocre then Brazil at this point. We'll see in 2022.

5. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Brazil is just little less mediocre then the rest of them.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A summary of your arguments:
    1. Tite is so bad it's going to be likelier Brazil has another 6-goal defeat.
    2. When told Tite's 5-year record shows 3 goals in 2 (competitive) matches and 1 of them an own goal, you state Tite made the same mistakes.
    3. When told your statements in 1 and 2 are different and that you want Tite due to your biases, you expand to "South American football" as a whole being "so degraded that it won't win another world cup for long time" and that "the other teams in South America are even more mediocre then Brazil at this point."

You're jumping from one position to another, and the only correct statement you've made is that Brazil is better than the rest of South America.

If you've got no real argument besides "with Tite a 7-1 is more probable," then there's nothing else left to say. Enjoy the rest of WCQ. I know I will as Brazil will win more than it will draw or lose, and Tite will have a role in that.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Brazil is just a little less mediocre than Venezuela or Bolivia?

8. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    being less mediocre then the rest of south america, doesn't help Brazil win the World Cup against European teams.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You're jumping to another argument. ;)

10. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    isn't the goal to win the World Cup?

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is a long-term problem and it contradicts your suggestion that a coach can come in and fix it. A coach can't fix that on his own.

I agree with this one point of yours: that SA football is "degraded", I don't agree it is so degraded it won't win a World Cup for a long time, but I do think it becomes more difficult every year.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but I want to encourage discussion that has a bit more substance behind it and less hyperbole, as well as consistency.

12. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Since 2006!

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #63 Ombak, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Yes, and? This response does not address the fact you are sabotaging your own argument and unable to stay consistent. I'm not trying to pick on you. Again, I just want good conversations.

14. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    definitely it won't fix everything, but it just the start. Brazil needs to revamp the whole structure of it game at this point or it will fail miserably coming next year and years to come if it doesn't do anything right now.

15. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    four world cups have been won by Europe since and probably next year too.

16. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    How many failures will be necessary for appropriate change to happen?

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the creation of a more organized league by clubs will help. The potential revenue can help bring back strong players and even foreign players and we need that competition. But there are also wider economic factors.

And there is also coaching. Coaches need stability in order to help players learn and adapt. Without that, there is no reason for young players to stay and gain experience in Brazil. I think the way you talk about replacing Tite is a symptom of this Brazilian problem and attitude towards coaches. You're right that things need to change, but you are also calling for something that makes it more difficult to change.

The tendency for coaches to be fired for just a few bad results forces Brazilian coaches into a very conservative mindset that harms the development of the game in Brazil. Clubs should build long-term projects that support specific styles, but instead, clubs just buy who is available and fire after a few defeats or one big defeat.

What failure? Losing to Belgium? To Argentina? Those are failures for fans.

On a professional level failure is defined by more than the surface. For real progress to happen you need to have pre-defined criteria for success that you can measure.

Does CBF have defined criteria that Tite needs to meet in order to not be fired? If they do, I doubt that "lose in the Copa América 2021 final" is one.

Again, you say Brazilian (and South American) soccer is falling behind. I agree. Your call for Tite to be fired because you fear another 7x1 is the kind of thing that makes us fall behind, not that kind of thing that helps us improve.

Century's Best repped this.
  18. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    What's more valuable than winning Trophies in Football, if losing isn't a failure then what it is?

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    More valuable than winning trophies: long-term planning that increases the chances of winning the right trophies.

Failure: not learning lessons from defeats and victories, and not planning ahead. Being reactive and thinking in the short-term is a failure.

As I said before (maybe in this thread, maybe another one): there is no way to guarantee a win in a knockout tournament, but I would trade all 3 of our Confederation Cup wins in the 2000s if it guaranteed one more World Cup win since 2002.

20. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    That's the point all along, Brazil needs to do critical changes to it's game to be successful in the future.

21. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    How many failures will be necessary for appropriate change to happen?

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What do you think is "appropriate change"? Because I said above what I think it is.

It is clear we agree on the general idea that change needs to happen for Brazilian and South American soccer to stop falling behind. It is even clearer that we both disagree on what kind of change we need to see.

What change do you want, besides "fire Tite" since we already know that is a point of disagreement.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    People think that Pep would do well with Brazil just because of the titles he has won but I think most ignore that Pep's style of playing is not historically a match for Brazil. Most Brazilians still want players attacking and dribbling with the ball and giving the creative player(s) lots of freedom to improvise. Pep is a coach that likes to control most everything that happens on the pitch. Create situations in which he can have predictable scenarios and results as much as possible .. and lots of passing. The 94 team IMO, believe it or not, had some elements of that and most everyone hated it. It was not as brilliant as Pep's team but it was possession heavy with lots of side passing.

I don't think Tite is and should go anywhere. The Renattetes can't even push that narrative because he is taking over Flamengo. And what's left in Brazil ? Bring someone like JJ ? Big gamble. Perhaps we overrated Tite because of what he did leading up to WC 18. Perhaps he got the team so right back then because he used some players he knew at Corinthians that he is now having trouble to replace. But he had a very good team back then IMO. A team I felt pretty confident had a shot at the title. While beating France was going to be hard, I still maintain that the reason we didn't player better and got farther was because of (1) Neymar not fully fit, (2) Casemiro missing from Belgium game, (3) Renato Augusto injury ... and then we concede an own goal when TS almost scored off a corner just minutes earlier. That's the reality of WC ... you need a few factors to go in your favor that is not always in the hands of the manager or even the players.

24. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    #74 Brazil_1500, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    One of the first things that should be done is revamp

- Youth development needs better investment and use scientific method in effort with local confederation
    - Use AI for game development and tactics.
    - Change State championship as qualification for National Championship and name it Copa do Brasil and State championship should run on points and National championship should be mata-mata. After all Brazil is it own continent.
    - and many other things that I can't go in detail.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Paul Breitner gave ESPN Brasil's Bola da Vez TV show an on-the-air interview in which he said Brazil fell asleep after 2002 and that while Germany retooled and rebooted, Brazil got stuck in time. This interview was done in April 2013. In hindsight, it was prophetic.

Breitner stated that a mistake Germany made in the 1990s that Brazil had been making since 2002 was that they thought they were the best and needed to learn nothing from others and needed to pay attention to nothing that others did.

However, what is of note in that same interview is that Breitner stated that the idea of bringing Guardiola to be Brazil's coach was "ridiculous." Breitner further said "you (Brazilians) do not need to change your national football team. You need to change your football."

So yes, changes are necessary. Ombak is right. And Brazil_1500 is right insofar there is a need to stay alert and to be aware of what is happening in the world of football. But the irony is that Brazil_1500 wants change (outside blood, i.e Guardiola) and he's demanding it through a quintessentially Pacheco-ist method: fire the manager now. And this is why this is ironic: to fire the manager is totally Brazilian in terms of football culture... as is the mentality that there's nothing to learn from outside.

Tite studied and observed foreign managers. In that sense, Tite is way ahead of many other Brazilian managers.