Convey/Hahnemann: Reading v. Leeds, 10-19 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Oct 19, 2004.

1. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    This is true, every game he's played in no one's saying he can't play or he played poorly and they are winning, the coach even said he's not gonna change a winning lineup and bobby said he doesn't blame the coach for not starting him because they're winning without him starting. The reality at this point is he's not going to start unless someone drops down dead because what reading has right now works, why would you change something that works?

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How did you do that?

3. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a thread on a Reading hobnob site that is discussing the value for the money of their players.

Obviously Convey is one of the players that brings up more discussion than others. So far, the majority are still willing to wait on him, as it's still too soon to come to a conclusive judgement.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you know where they see him playing? do they think his future with the club is out wide, central or back on defense? or are they still trying to figure out just what they have?

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

867-5309

6. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They see him on the left, for sure. For the time being, it's as a wing or fullback, but there are some who'd like to see what he could do at forward this weekend, as that's the position that the fans aren't too pleased with right now. And, yes, they're still waiting to see more of him before the jury can come to a final decision. They know he's a bit undersized, and are hopeful that he can put on some muscle over the next year. The overall sentiment seems to be to remain patient with him. The tone is still very positive.

In terms of fan support, Bobby's in a good spot IMHO. He just has to keep working hard when he gets his opporunities. If he were to score a couple of game winners, then he'd really endear himself.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I don't think the fans really want to see him at forward.
    I just can't imagine that being his strong suit... midfield yes... defense possibly...
    Granted he may end up being a fine forward, but I don't see those skill sets in his game.

Good the fans are still positive... then again, with the clubs current position in the table...it's easy to be positive.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Damn you, Tommy Tutone!

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby has never been a great player, and to be honest, will never be a great player. He has been decent with DCU at times, but never outstanding. In the relatively little time he's played at Reading, he has done pretty well. Reading should have known what they were getting -- a hardworking midfielder who can't score but can pick out teammates at times and run his socks off.

10. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Why do BC convey threads never end without someone saying he can't play or he's not that good. If he couldn't play and he wasn't that good he wouldn't be over in England now, even if it is just first division stuff. He shouldn't be a forward though, forwards score goals that's their job, bobby takes shots and every now and then they're on target. He's best in the midfield, they can try him up front if they want but it just seems kina weird.

11. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 21 years old. I know it seems like he is older than that because he has been around for so long, but he is still a pup.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I don't like that word, "never," particularly here. You're dealing with a kid with a lot of the raw tools. He hasn't put them together (and right now, can't finish a lick), but you can't predict when he could have a bust-out.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Of course, anyone who is on a first division squad is a good player... no doubt. But is he international class? Is he or will he be a solid to excellent top division player? I think that's the question. Look, many here had him starting for Tottenham a year ago, now, with every advantage to be in the starting 11, he's having a hard time cracking it on a much smaller team a division below. So, yeah, some are going to say, see, we never thought he was very good -- not meaning saturday morning league good, meaning top euro division good. Yiou can count me in that camp. He still has time, but in my view to date he hasn't shown the set of skills needed to play at that level.

14. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Well of course he was never gonna start for Tottenham they just had to hype it all up like they did for reading. He's not exactly international class but he has the potential to be, he has the potential to be a lot of things, he just needs someone to push him to that level which I guess is what he's getting at reading but still.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He was very very good with the U-19 as the playmaking mid. I think he'll develop into a pretty decent winger or central midfielder if given a chance.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's not competing for a spot against poor players, and that's a point that needs to be made. Little and Sidwell are both high quality players, both experienced and successful at this level (man city offered burnley $5 million for little a couple years ago and burnley rejected it) and sidwell is considered one of the very best in the CCC. Brooker (who is the player who actually has taken what would be convey's spot), is a very solid professional, and at 28 the sort of player who understands what it takes to succeed here much better than a first season, 21 year old. reading doesn't have much depth, but their first 11, and 18, are very solid, and should continue to push for auto promotion this year.
    This isn't an excuse for Convey. for that money, Reading should have bought an immediate starter. but they bought Convey. Maybe if he actually improves with the competition and reaches what most would say is an impressive potential (which he has shown for Reading, just in spits and spurts, not consistently (which, I know, is his problem)), he'll be well worth the money over time. In any case, it's way too early to call him a flop.

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And, he's playing very well (from the highlights) in the reserves, playing the ball very quickly and finding nice bits of space with first touch passes. Maybe he just does need a little more time.

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well THAT bears repeating