Convey dodges a bullet

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by geordienation, Sep 21, 2003.

1. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    First he may have been fortunate to get playing time due to injuries. He is unfortunate to play for a coach that can not develop young players. He needs to get away from DCU. He is also unfortunate to have the middle of the field clogged by the Wretch. Convery does not get playing time at A-Mid where he belongs. Do not expect him to get much better with little to no playing time at the position.
    I cant tell you how he did on the 17's but I can tell you he dominates the 20's.
    Give him to the Metro's and Bradley will show you what kind of player he is.

2. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Personally, I think you should go to hell, but I'll try and stick to the business at hand.

We had plenty of patience with Convey, and he was kicking ass at the beginnning of the season. The fact that he was away from active duty for as long as he was has been a detriment to his play. He was in a groove and he was jolted out of it by the whole Sp*rs business. He does need to work his way back to his old form, and I don't think he'll reach his best again until next season, quite frankly. We still have patience with him, but he's not at his best right now, and at this stage of the season, we can't afford to have him underperforming, even as a substitute.

Boo-hoo...we had no patience with Albright. Albright is shite, he always has been, he always will be. I don't care what fcuking Rob Stone or Ty Keough say, because I can't stand them either. Albright was under a very youth-friendly coach in Rongen and he still sucked with us. Albright is nowhere near as gifted as people give him credit for; to date, I haven't heard any international transfer speculation or conjecture mentioning him at all. And I never will.

As for Quaranta, he entered the league almost at the same time as Bobbito, but shows none of the consistency that Convey has. He doesn't have the work ethic that Convey does; or at least he doesn't show it. When he wasn't injured, he was really only impressive in flashes, and in his low points, he was all but invisible.

Players under 23 shouldn't be molly-coddled just because they're so young. They're playing professional soccer, goddammit. I'm 23 myself, and if I were in the position of playing pro footy at my age or younger, I wouldn't want to be babied just because I have raw talent (which I don't). The only way you're going to be a better professional is to be coached like a professional and act like a professional. If they can't hang, screw it...go play in a rec league. Young talent isn't coddled in any other sport.

And BTW, what's really pathetic is a Dirtcakes fan in Wisconsin who thinks he knows everything about United's player development.

3. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Exactly. I must have with the amount of personal insults I got otherwise insults are not necessarily to prove anything. I never said was an expert with DC players but I haven't said anything outragously wrong.

If Justine Mapp is good enough for Chicago, he should be good enough for DC. Chicago is a better team than DC. Where is the patience?

Albright already has the skill and physic tools to succeed in MLS. His U21 performance which had Euro scouts drooling was a not fluke. That problem is that he lacks flair. I don't believe he lacks skill or technique. Yeah they weren't exactly Jaime Moreno level, but they were above average. Since he lacks creative flair, he is way too predictable and easy for defenders to mark and shut down. That problem should have been addressed and moving to right wing does not solve the problem. He has learn totally new things at the wing. He has defensive assignment on the wing and the off the ball runs are different. He has to learn a decent cross and learn to tackle. That is enough distraction to ruin his professional development.

Quaranta seems like a forward to me. Although he doesn't finish well yet, he has a nose for the goal. He scored 4 in his rookie year when he was 16 and tons in U17. How many of you can do that? Now you want to move him to the wing too? If LA moved Clint Mathis to the wing when he didn't finish well, and SJ move Donovan to the wing, US will never product quality strikers. Making them learn new positions when they didn't do extremely well right away is like telling them that they are failures and must move to the wing and a step closer to the door. It wouldn't exactly help their confidence or motivate the player. Flair is one attribute that can be obtained. One move Cobi had none 2 years ago, but now he can make defenders miss at well. Also DC could have tried to make him a target player, but they don't play that system I guess.

Convey has made decent progress in last three years. Given DC's track record at youth development, I am guessing he does that on his own. DC coaching staff does very little to help him and he was just determined to become good on his own time. It's just a guess but there's a good chance that it's a correct one. Okay maybe not. It's just a flame bait. Actually I just want you DCU fans to admit your organization are no good for young talent, and coaches and fans have no patience. I hope Fred Adu plays for Dallas or go to Europe.

Flame on!

4. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib Member

Sep 16, 2001
    Sietch Tabr
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he were born in one of the four, he'd be even better than he is, because he would have been playing year round in a pro environment with more competition and better coaching since he was 12 or 13, and playing year-round for fun before that.

Venezuela? PLease. Chino could start for Venezuela.

5. Decent Guy

Decent Guy New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Outside NY
    Yeah, an "idiot" who set Chelsea on the path they are on today, who turned Southampton into a side challenging for UEFA and Champions League, who led England to a 10w/3d/2d record (and got sacked for his religious beliefs), got Swindon promoted, and turned Spurs from a boring relegation candidate to an often entertaining mid-table club with potential.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he got fired for his religious beliefs? how is that?

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Re: Convey dodges a bullet

Dema Kovalenko has done so much more for this team than Justin Mapp would have this year.

One of the best offseason moves in the League for both teams in my opinion.

8. In 1999 Hoddle, who is a born-again Christian, made some incautious comments in a newspaper interview to the effect that people with disabilities were paying for their sins in past lives. Basically the uproar that followed cost him his job as England manager. Although the team's faltering qualification for Euro 2000 had already led to murmurs of discontent, he has the dubious distinction of being one of the few international coaches sacked for non-footballing reasons. I think its fair to say he was sacked not because of his religious beliefs as such, but because it was simply not acceptable for someone in his position to express such opinions publically.

Check out this link for more details
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/270194.stm

9. cdunnington

cdunnington New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Not to start a debate, but...

Hoddel may think of himself as being Christian, but, referincing the article, the belief in past lives is not a mainstream Christian belief. The lady mentioned as his 'faith healer', Eileen Drewery, would actually be called a psychic healer in this country. She may have her own spiritual beliefs, but a little research, guided by Google, would hardly classify her as Christian either.

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    All I want to know is that if Convey can dodge bullets, can he really leap a tall building in a single bound? :rolleyes:

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Won't work. Metro doesn't have any hairy-chested Bulgarians to deal in trade.

But we do have a 6-foot Pole. Maybe we can do business after all.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you so much for the information, and yes, i do agree with you. I don't think he was so much sacked for his beliefs as for his perceived "insensitivity" to the infirmed ........

13. soczoo

soczoo New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Chattanooga, TN
    I used to think that DCU had the best fans in the MLS until I read this thread. Man, why would anyone want to play for "fans" like this?

14. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Because we are louder.

If we didnt care, then we wouldnt be complaining of what we think is best for DC United.

15. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: Re: Convey dodges a bullet

ROFLOL! That's one of the most hilarious things I've heard all day. Remind me which top-flight team in Europe Albright is playing for? Inter? Celtic? ManU? Bayern Munich?

Oh, the LA Galaxy, the ninth place team in MLS. Yep. Sure is a picture of success.

16. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Because our club is actually worth a damn. But I guess you wouldn't understand that, with your affiliation and all. We ARE the best fans in the league, and I defy the supporters of any other MLS team to try and defeat us.

17. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United