Converted a Eurosnob

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by okcomputer, May 20, 2007.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I work with this guy who is a soccer fanatic. His favorite sport is soccer and that is pretty much the only sport he cares about. His parents are from South America and he loves La Liga and South American world cup qualifying, copa america, etc. He always wears a Boca jrs. jersey. So I tell him about the game on saturday night with Columbus against Red Bull and he goes on to say that "the league is a joke and the level of play stinks. I checked it out in 96 when it started and it was unwatchable.". So I tell him Schelotto just signed with Columbus and Angel just signed with NY. Then he gets interested and says it reminds him of a River/Boca battle. I tell him if the game is bad I'll reimburse you for your ticket and then he says " I'll go." So we go to the game and he loved seeing Schelotto in person and he loved the game. He was shocked at how much better the quality of play in the league had gotten and says he wants to go to all the games going forward and he will tell all his friends that he plays soccer with every Sunday afternoon in the park and he'll get them to go. After seeing this, I can't help but think if you could get these people to come back and give the league another look 12 years later that you could get some of them to stick around this time. The DP's can potentially draw back these people and maybe get some of them to stay this time because the league is so much better now then it was 12 years ago.

2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the new convert. Hopefully, it'll stick.

I just don't see how anyone who calls himself a soccer fan can ignore a professional league right under his nose. Those types tend to be less concerned about soccer than their own self-image.

3. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know couple Eurosnobs too. Maybe I should take them to a MLS game. Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. :)

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DP's may draw them back, but it is the improvement of the regular players and overall team play that will get them to stay. MLS had the equivalent of DP players back in 1996, but they didn't have "teams".

- Paul

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I've converted a couple of Eurosnobs recently, but I have trouble making them stick. In other words they won't go to the game or follow the team unless I'm there to instigate.

They apparently are already overloaded with Champions League, EPL and playing Winning 11 on XBox.

I've found it easier to convert non soccer fans. But they too don't stick because there's nothing in the mainstream media to remind them of an upcoming game.

The easiest recruitment tool that I've had best results with is the supporter sections. It's not hard for me to convince my friends to start their Saturday evenings with a little tailgating, a 2 hour game followed by a night on the town. They always enjoy it and I have no problems getting 5-10 non MLS fans to come to a game with me on a weekend.

The problem again has just been keeping them interested on their own. To this day they still view DC United as a charming curiosity where they can stand, drink beer and curse for 2 hours. The actual team doesn't rub off on them because there's nothing on their usual TV/radio/newspaper/internet sources that keeps them hooked.

6. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it helps that we're a team which plays attractive football. Metro '96 was shite compared to Metro '07. Arena has a well-oiled machine which can break a defence down with smart tactical play and precision passing. Our formation allows us to attack down the flanks, or up the middle. On defence, players swarm the ball, giving the opposing side little to no time on the ball. Angel improves this team in so many ways, same with Mathis and Freeman. It's a fun night out when the local side is pretty damn good*

*It's about damn time too.

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing what 12 years of progress will do.

8. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    You know, this would have been a good year to have a big international friendly like Barcelona's last year. The idea is you have to get these people out to see the new team. If a tree falls in a forrest.....

9. USMNT

USMNT New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm not sure that's fair. I'm a football fan also. If I moved to Germany, I'm not sure I could get into the WFL and the Rhein Fire.

When you've spent your whole life watching Marino, Elway, Montana, Sanders and Manning, it's not easy to turn it down a few notches. In '96, it was many notches below where it is today and certainly where it will be tomorrow. The crowds will grow with time, but there has to be a focus on cultivating a game experience for diehard fans.

10. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it's fair. I'd understand if a fellow moved from Barcelona to Kansas City and had a little trouble adjusting at first, but we're talking about American Eurosnobs who don't even hold a US passport.

I've flown to Europe to see live matches. I own Newcastle, FC Bayern, and Boca Juniors jerseys. I record EPL matches every weekend. But day in and day out, it's MLS that holds my attention from April to November. In the closet, my DCU Olsen #14 shirt is right next to my NUFC Shearer shirt. I have DCU decal on one car and a DCU license plate frame on the other.

If I moved to Helsinki next week, you better believe I'd be at HJK matches most weekends and I don't know shit about the team.

(I'm such a sucker for this topic. I should stop now.)

11. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he's a troll. For the life of me, I'm not sure why he hasn't been banned..unless he's a mod's sockpuppet.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of NFL fans also watch an inferior level of football on Saturdays.

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I agree with you 100%. I am what a lot of you guys call a EuroSnob (maybe not the snob part) but I do believe that there is virtually no comparison between MLS and the Premier leagues of Europe. (ie. Premier League, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A and the Spanish 1st division).

Having said that, I have had season tix to the Colorado Foxes of the ASL then the A-League then had season tix to both the Colorado Foxes and the Rapids in 1996. I have been a season ticket holder for the Rapids since day 1 and have Balboa's autograph on the game ticket I have from the very first game the Rapids played in Denver. I would compare it to watching College B-ball as opposed to Professional B-Ball. A ton more mistakes, players are not nearly as polished, finishing is horrifying at times, but that doesn't take away from the excitement. I love the sport and having lived in Europe until I was 18, I've experienced the passion and love for the sport. I will always be an MLS fan and the quality of play has increased dramatically from 1996. (Especially the Rapids quality of play. "quality" is not justified for the way the Rapids played in 1996... That team was hard to stomach).

Anyway, I rant. Sorry for that but I love this sport.

Side-note:
    As for those who believe that the NASL was quality, I hope that ESPN classic plays some of those games for you guys so that you can compare them to the MLS. I think you will be suprised at the quality of the MLS in comparison.

14. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, sir, are not a Eurosnob at all. Not even close. :) Just a pure soccer fan.

15. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is htis guy's name Sean Wheelock?

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, I've taken some action, but you really should report trolling posts to make my job a little easier.

17. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    absolutely. I can only imagine what these same people say to Portuguese people who follow their domestic league. Are they dumb for following their home clubs even though the league in Spain is MUCH better? Of course not.

There is just a massive, retarded logic disconnect with SO many soccer fans in this country. I mean, you have a league you can watch live and in person for many people, week in and week out. support it.