Control Issue

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, Jun 9, 2009.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was wondering how you would control a really fast moving ball coming at you on the ground but u want to be able to get it on the run and continue on without stopping. I tried with the inside of my foot and it just popped straight up. So plz tell me how you control a really fast ball coming at you (eg. someone takes a shot and ball ricochets off a leg and comes flying back (ground level) at you) and you want to be able to get it on the run and be able to start dribbling instantly

2. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not neccessarily what part of the foot you use its more about getting your body shape right then think about what part to touch it on. You need to get down the line of the ball and then get on the half turn (if you want to go that way) then get on your toes so that if it is a heavy touch you can get on it quicker. When set up use the inside of the front foot (foot that is closest to the ball) then use your instep to flick it in the opposite direction making sure that you dont whack it to far.

3. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    also, you want to think about what part of the ball you touch. if the ball pops straight up, it means you got your foot under the ball.

4. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

So basically the technique is to lean over the ball?
    should the leg be loose or stiff, and should ur body be over the ball (assuming you and the ball are heading directly towards each other)

5. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    what i mean is that, if the ball pops up, it means you got your foot on the bottom half of the ball. so, you want to get your foot on the top half of the ball.

your leg should be somewhat firm (which will cause the ball to bounce a little bit away from you), but this is what you want. you almost never want to stop the ball dead at your feet. you want to lay it off a bit so that you can step through your pass/shot. so, ball approaches, you touch the ball to direct it (either in front of you or to one side), then step to the ball and pass/shoot.

a good exercise to do with a friend is to stand about 10 yards apart and pass to each other. keep your passes firm, hard and on the ground.

try using 1 touch.

then try using 2 touches. but be quick. the rhythm should be trap-step-pass, trap-step-pass, trap-step-pass. often, people get lazy and their rhythm is more like trap-pause-step-pass, trap-pause-step-pass, trap-pause-step-pass. (this lazier rhythm can hurt you in a game because you usually will not have time for the pause.)

6. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    dunno don't try to overthink it, i juts the tip of my fingers for running long distances and for short distance+ better control use the laces in your shoe (font part maybe)
    this may sound easy but its actually very hard, it took me about a year to have a good ball control.