Content Analysis of O'Reilly Factor Finds Spin to be a Factor

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chicago1871, May 2, 2007.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commentator uses name-calling more than once every seven seconds in 'Talking Points Memo'
    The breakdown of the study entitled Villains, Victims and Virtuous in Bill O'Reilly's 'No Spin Zone': Revisiting World War Propaganda Techniques

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Baconian, rational examination of the irrational, passionate, talk-show cable media environment sway anyone, one way or the other? I think not. It's a misplaced mechanism for understanding the phenomenon, itself based on irrational, illogical locations of the discourse.

It's like trying to overlay Einstein on Hobbes. Those that embrace O-Reilly are fearful, and embrace Leviathan, regardless. Does he exacerbate? Yes. But he does not create. He simply gives voice.

And, in the end analysis, has only the potency all of us, together, give him.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe the dude was able to sit through 115 episodes.

4. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Proof that a key right wing value is "playing the victim." Poor angry white man....

Next two are "whining" and "making shit up and then acting morally outraged about it."

Two more PhD theses in the making!

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Honestly, the two greatest certainties in life are that anything that claims to be against spin is a spinner, and that in sport anybody who complains about a lack of class is a classless jerk.

6. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    the only time i ever watch O'Reilly is in december when he starts up his annual "christmas is being destroyed" brouhaha. god i love that stuff.

7. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That was my first thought.

8. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I know. It is like the guy from "SuperSize Me." I wonder if this guy's doctor was following the decline in his intelligence and the increase in his moral outrage.

9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    O'Really?s current blurb on fox.com is about name calling. It isnt yet translated to type and I wont watch their video so Im not sure of the details. Ill bet hes whining about 'the nutty Left' calling real people names.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Here........ Apparently, it's all Soros' fault. :rolleyes: And he really does sound like a tinfoilhat merchant.......

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Spin to be a Factor for Media Matters?

"OSI's donations to Tides were earmarked for several specific programs, and Media Matters was not included on this list."
    Quid pro quo? OSI donates to Tides, which reallocates money to MM? Standard practice in politics.

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my first thought. That guy deserves some sort of medal.