Contenential Championships are always more important than olympics

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by persiantiger, Sep 10, 2003.

1. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I got a handjob in Tijuana in 2001. It was good stuff and only cost twenty bucks. And in case one is wondering, no, I am not joking.

I personally like the Asian Cup. It's a fun tournament, as Asia is loaded with talent. I tend to root for Hong Kong, as that's who I always used to play as in Sidekicks for the Neo Geo as a boy.

Let us all pay tribute to Wesley Willis.

2. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, the Asian Cup has some International merit, as the winner of the Asian Cup gets a spot in the FIFA Confederations Cup, which is a good tournament.

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I believe the Asia Cup is a more respected tournament than the Gold Cup and Copa America. In those two tournaments, the national sides are usually made of only local players and usually all Euro based players are left off the squads.

I don't the Asia Cup will ever be as big as the European Championships because there are not the natural rivalries like there are in Europe. The Asia Cup winner will get a nice boost in the FIFA rankings and some well deserved praise. I think Japan showed the world how far they have come by winning in 2000. I believe there will be a lot of full national sides participating in AC2004.

4. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    you're absolutely right and that is THE reason why some Koreans are starting to value Asian Cups more nowadays.

HOWEVER

"Asian Cup winner => takes a spot in Confed Cup"

that equation didn't happen until Confed Cup 2001.

So all Asian Cups before that didn't have that merit.

5. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    you have a good point about how Asian Cups will never be as big as Euro championships.

The truth is that not all continental championships are that much valued.

Other than the Euro Cup and the African Nations Cup(and I'm not even sure about this one), which other continental championships truly field their full sides?

Let's look at S.America's continental championships. The Copa America 2001 didn't even have Argentina participating and some other countries didn't call up the Euro leaguers anyways.

6. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    say that to any non-AFC people and they'll laugh.

actually, say that to most Korean footy fans and they'll laugh too.

7. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I like the way you put it.

It's a choice between being a big fish in a small pond or going out to the ocean for more challenges.

8. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    sarcasm would not justify lack of accomplishments.

9. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    hahaha the dog & cat fight is now heating up a little bit. i am not sure why some of these stupid people spend their sorry days to justify whether asian cup is worthwhile to win. it really does not matter, the only thing that matters for all of you is to know that you will be sucking your thumbs when it is over.

10. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    well, considering that there were a LOT more IMPORTANT accomplishments that were aready made, I don't even know if that would even be part of an "accomplishment." ;)

When you rock at level A and B, you know winning in level D doesn't mean much.

11. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

nah you're going too far. when you rock at level A and B, you should also rule at level D. If you dont rule level D, that means that you've got lucky playing at level A and B.

12. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I must the Asian Cup has more to it than the olympics by footballing standards, as it is not an U-23 competition.

Anyhow, quick question, kind of off beat......Israel is in Asia, not Europe, so why is it that they are designated as part of UEFA instead of AFC?.

thanks,
    Sebastian

13. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sebastian, becuase most of the Middle-Eastern countires would refuse to play against Isreal, and it is not particularly safe for the Isreali NT traveling to strict Islamic countries.

Good point junjun about the A, B and D teams.

14. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    What Gen-Max93 said was right, it's because since the other muslim countries wouldn't play against them, and it wouldn't be safe either even if they did... it'd be very hostile.

Oh, and Israel WAS in the AFC at one point, as a matter of fact. They were in the finals of the first two Asian cups I believe. Then they moved to Europe at some point in the 70's or 80's for the reasons stated above. Kazahkstan was once in AFC as well up until 2000 or so (but they're now currently in UEFA)

15. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    i hope we get to play iran and japan in the tourney

sorry.. but i do have to ask... is that a pic of u giving kermit a BJ?

16. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    who's "we"? what country?

you must really want to get beat badly if you wanna play Iran that bad :D well, gt ready buddy, we are coming.

Here we COME, Here we ROCK!

17. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

dont get too nervous after finding out that the "we" refers to korea

18. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    ahhhh, that's kinda boring. I was hoping for real competition lol ;)

19. crom80

crom80 New Member

Jan 4, 2002

im from east timor

20. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    lol this should be your signiture! You always find a way to use the word "ROCK." (although almost always it won't turn out that way in big tournaments ;) )

21. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    cool, hope we get to play you. btw, without being ignorant, is this the first tine East Timor is participating in Asian Cup?

22. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Yes sir. East Timor was officially designated it's own country in 2002.