Containment zone: the Klinnsman / Donovan fault line

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Dec 2, 2018.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Maybe I should have said “try to play”

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    fair enough but what exactly set us back a decade?

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You wanted Klinsmann out and didnt care about what that meant. Very naive! Enjoy this sh!t show.

juveeer repped this.
  4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He destroyed our locker room and left us leaderless and soft without any improvements in our identity as a soccer nation.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean you wanted him to stay? (Tips cap).

6. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    This thread is back??!!

Oh snap, Canada broke the forum.

appwrangler and TOAzer repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You must not have been paying attention then.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    moved

please move moderator-on-moderator action to this thread! I've got popcorn for the rest of us.....

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who were the leaders who would have emerged but for Klinsmann?

juveeer repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Absolutely! Especially knowing the alternatives.

He wasnt a good coach but had many strengths. I believe those strengths are what we needed at the time and still need. People rambled on and on about tactics. Arena and Berhalter were supposedly good tactical coaches. What we need is quality players. Klinsmann had an eye for talent, was a great recruiter, and wouldnt let the players get complacent.

If you actually paid attention, you would be able to separate the good from the bad. There were definitely rocky patches, but he also was capable of turning thing around. People like you go on and on about the 2015 GC (where we implementing a lot of new players) or the Argentina loss with no shots (with multiple key players out) but ignore that the team put on the most complete performance of any tournament in the Copa prior to the semis.

Maybe it is a coincidence, but that Copa came after he was supposedly to be fired. He also turned things around in 2013. So based on history, how we played Mexico and CR in the first half, and additional talent coming through, I completely think we would have qualified for the WC if he wasnt fired. I also think he would of integrated a bunch of young players and we might have gotten out of our group.

The only thing that has set us back is the reaction to the ridiculous outcry against him. I hope you enjoy watching all these MLS players who happen to play the position of more talented players playing in Europe.

juveeer and btlove repped this.
  11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess not.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy. It's like driving by a horrible car crash. I want to look away and keep driving. I really do.

Agree.

Disagree.

Because they are important.

Agree.

German talent.

For Germans.

Except for the Germans.

Oh boy.

Agree. His entire tenure and thereafter as a result.

Didn't say anything about that, but okay go on...

Didn't say anything about that either, but okay go on...

Agreed.

I don't enjoy watching players playing poorly for the USMNT...as I stated before.

As you so elegantly put it:

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You've only given generalities about what he's done. If he's evicerated the program and left it leaderless, there must be a swath of players who were harmed (ie, they would have been better players and leaders if Klinsmann wasn't coach).

who are the players that could even fall into this category?

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every player who played for him.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is clear you werent paying attention. You sound immature and emotional.

Tactics are important but not more than player selection. They arent his strength, but he knows that. That is why he always had a tactician on his staff for WCs. Confident players who have a good understanding of the game would apppreciate a coach letting them to decide how to play.

It wasnt jus Germans. He gave a bunch of Mexican/Americans a shot. He gave the guy from Norway a shot. He played Beckerman who had been ignored by prior coaches.

He had rocky patches it wasnt his whole period. There were quite a few highs too. The team set multiple records under him. It was pretty nice beating Ghana after the two previous coaches were knocked out of the tournament by them with LD.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It was just the soft ones. Many of players have gone on record sharing their appreciation for what he did for them.

juveeer repped this.
  18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy. Stopped reading after this. Blocked.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That is all they do after making wide sweeeping claims.

I got an idea. The next time coco puffs makes an outlandish claim in another thread, i will respond that i disagree and tag you. You can then move coco puffs post here.... because you are good at that. Hopefully that works for you?

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you could move your response here....

21. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is so :ROFLMAO:. But I understand why you do it;)

22. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    JK wasn’t a very good coach. USMNT has never had a very good coach. But to say he set the program back 10 years singlehandedly is beyond dramatic.

JK had some brutal lows. But the highs we experienced under him are almost NEVER talked about in relation to his tenure.

GGG is a far worse coach. At least under JK we occasionally had things to cheer about. I’ll say it again, JK wasn’t a good coach but some people act like he was sabotaging the program.

We were losing youth tournaments. It was obvious this generation was going to be bad. We are seriously going to blame that all on JK? Lazy.

Nobody has set the program back except the program itself.

juveeer, USA-Zebuel and bsky22 repped this.
  23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not much to disagree with here. Nice to see some balanced criticism.

Nice dog btw. What is its name?

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on how you classify a good coach.

Do you want a concepts dweeb? Pep is the prototype. A tactical innovator? Pick Carlo Ancelotti? Do you want a relate-able player motivator? Klopp or Zinedine is your man. A stern respected statesman? Sir Alex fits that bill.

Klinsmann is in the Klopp/Zinedine quadrant. We all recall the stories about ZZ's lack of tactical preparation and nous.

Many in US Soccer believe that a good couch is one who will come in and "teach" players how to play with detailed tactical lessons. Well that is why we got Berhalter, right. How is that working out?