Considering a trip to NYC and a Metrostars game

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Kevin in Louisiana, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I'm considering a trip up to NYC from May 5th-9th and the Metros are hosting San Jose on the 7th. I was wondering what mass transit was like to and from the games. Apparently there are busses from Manhattan. How much do they cost? And how long of a ride is it (assuming I've Mapquested things right, it shouldn't be too long, although traffic in NYC can be hell, of course). Any other info I'd need to know about seeing the Metrostars play?

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bus costs $7 round trip from Port Authority Bus Terminal which is located on 8th Av between 40 and 41st streets. Make sure you say Giants Stadium - soccer game. And ask for the gate number. Also ask the bus driver to be sure that your bus is indeed going to Giants Stadium. The non-stop ride is a minimum 15 minutes. But add in time to get tickets and waiting for the bus to leave. I like to get to PA about 1 1/2 hours before kickoff. When you get to Giants Stadium, go over to lot 16-A and ask a Metro supporter about getting an ESC ticket for section 101. Or if you do not want to sit in the supporters section, just go to a ticket window.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Just a quick post script to the good advice above:

You want the south Port Authority building -- between 40th and 41st. on 8th Ave. Go to the New Jersey Transit ticket windows, well inside the building. Don't be afraid to ask directions.

The NJ Transit bus should take you to the bus stop near Gate D and The Bubble (it's like a huge tent). Walk past Gate D to Gate C. Lot 16A is by Gate C; look for a clutch of fans in Metro Jerseys in the lot, grilling food and quafing brew. Just walk up, say Hi and can your get a ticket at the ESC window. You'll get help, don't worry.

4. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    The actual bus ride will be anywhere from 15-40 minutes tops.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    But certainly no more than 65 minutes. Honest.

Well, 75 minutes, surely.

It depends on which part of Absecon your bus driver decides to get lost in.

The buses are pretty simple and dependable. Except, when they're not.

6. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    On a similar topici know up here there are bus trips that you can take for like 80 bucks to go down to NYC and see a yankee game or giant....ect. Is there any one that goes to the metro games since there is none up here. I always seem to be the dd :(

7. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm actually going to be going next month, but I'm sure I'll be in New York at some point within the next year or two and I'll keep your advice in mind.

8. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    Jamison,

Are you referring to the Absecon in Atlantic County (outside A.C.?) Grew up right near there! If so, then that was a really lost bus driver!

9. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Note to all posters, please use one of these ( ;) ) whenever appropriate. Afterall, it is one of the things that are free on this message board and can help avoid confusion.

;)