Conservation parks for Mars

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/technovel_mars_041130.html

A proposal for conservation parks on Mars.

I think certain areas should be preserved, but these did not make these conservationists lists. I think all the landing sites to this date on the moon and Mars should be roped off a preserved as historical parks.

The authors favored instead preserving the entire north polar cap and Olympus Mons, because they are unique in some way. From my view, because they are unique in some they should be exploited. The north polar cap has volatile chemicals that will be useful and Olympus Mons is a logical spot for a space station being near the equator and at high altitude.

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Mars has a global warming problem.

I blame Halliburton.

3. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    That's actually extremely significant. If two planets have global warming problems, that points to a potential source outside the environment of just one.

4. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Both planets have human-manufactured spacecraft in common...

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    How about the Earth's moon? No 'global warming' there. No atmosphere either...

6. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In seriousness, about a year ago, during the Mars Mania caused by the rovers, some serious left wing pundit wrote a column claiming that Halliburton was planning on drilling for oil on Mars.

The facts were that NASA asked for assistance in developing a drill bit to be used on future Mars rovers. And when looking for drill bits, who has more experience than oil drillers. So a representative of a Halliburton subsidiary went to a meeting to discuss how to drill down on Mars.

This was morphed by the lefty-nuts into Halliburton was drilling for oil on Mars.