Conrad says he's "on the outside looking in"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by subbuteo, Apr 26, 2006.

1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.goal.com/en-US/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=42444

Probably not a huge surprise to anyone, but interesting to think he has always thought of himself as an "outsider."

2. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad mindset and public stance to have. It might also make him hungrier. Personally, he ranks better than Pope for me...

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That's a relief.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    it's fairly obvious who arena likes centrally...onyewu, gibbs, bocanegra and pope

the bigger question is whether berhalter or conrad would both be alternates...

given the need to have one on case a top 4 guy goes down is difficult

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's a fine player, but he would seem to be exactly where he should, the fifth or sixth center back. If BA planned to play a lot of 3-5-2 or 5-4-1, he'd have a shot, without injury. Not sure that he does now.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Maybe Jimmy should try and tackle the runaway train that is Aaron Pitchkolan.

As it were, Jimmy treated him like Ronaldo.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If Arena takes 5 centerbacks then Conrad goes imo.

1. Gooch
    2. Dolo
    3. Pope
    4. Lewis
    5. Gibbs
    6. Boca
    7. Albright
    8. Conrad

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    that's your analysis of Pitchkolan's game winner?

seriously?

you make no comment on the fact that there was a miscommunication between EJ and Burciaga Jr., and a signficant lack of sustained hustle/effort on both of their parts. and on top of that the desire by Pitchkolan and a lucky bounce to spring him.

Conrad was not positioned to provide supporting cover on that play, but that is in no way saying he failed to tackle Pitchkolan. the attacker had a 2-3 stride lead on him on that play.

of course, this is not a defense of Conrad and his skills and an argument for his inclusion in the WC roster.

he's done well to go from relative obscurity to being a top 6 central defender for the US.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I don't know how many CB's Arena is likely to bring. but for eight defensive spots, i'd suggest that Arena still perfers both Hejduk and Berhalter to Albright and Conrad. and to keep a balance of 4 CB's and 4 outside backs (as Arena has stated his strong preference for the 4-man backline), i'd venture that Arena perfers Albright to Berhalter.

and that is probably why Conrad justifiably feels he's on the outside looking in.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Conrad's an alternate, but in my mind he's the 5th centerback, before Berhalter, and with Bocanegra's injury he has a chance.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Seriously.

Jimmy takes a bad angle and just jogs along ... in added time, he better do a flying dive and tackle like Brian Urlacher than give a guy a clear shot from 20.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pope, Gooch, Gibbs and even Bocanegra would have made that play -- though the guy really got a good head of steam going.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    if it was possible for any of those guys you mention to make such a play (or perhaps position themselves better to not have to make such a recovery), I doubt Arena is basing his final decisions on CB's, and Conrad specifically, on the play at the end of that FCD/KCW match.

or maybe Arena is that thorough.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that anybody's inclusion comes down to ONE play, Conrad included. Just an observation about what I think is the athletic superiority of those guys over Conrad, pure speculation.