Connecticut

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by MickeyHeath, Oct 29, 2003.

1. MickeyHeath

MickeyHeath New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    London
    Hello all

I'm a Gooner from London but in a years time I might be going to the Central Connecticut State University (New Britain, CT) on a study exchange programme from my current uni-Hertfordshire. Anyway what I would like to know is are there any pubs that show English footy around that area and is there any sort of Arsenal fan contingent in the area?

Cheers
    Mike

2. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Hey Mike,good to hear we'll have another Gooner here. I'm not sure there are many of us here to be fair, although the world-famous(well, the Big Soccer World)Jeff Lancaster told me he has family along the sound I think(correct me if I'm wrong) and there's a few of us posting here and coming on the Arsenal America Roadtrip in December(when are you heading over if you do?) Anyway there is some bar downstate but that's out of the way for me. There's an Irish bar called the Half Door kinda near where you'll be in Hartford that advertises showing Premiership matches Saturdays and Sundays but I'm not sure-I need to check it out myself. Best bet is getting on a train, bus, or in a car and heading down to New York and going to Nevada Smith's, 74 3rd Ave(might be Street)in Manhattan. It's a Manc bar but not when the Gooners are there. Fantastic. And it's New York after you head out of the bar. Keep us informed on if you're headed over. Look forward to seeing you...any cute sisters?

3. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    I'm with Marting regarding the New York thing, it's the best bet with no cover. Nevada Smiths if you want an experience, Clancy's if you want peace and food in your stomach. Anyways, Anna Liffey's here in New Haven claims to be showing EPL Sundays, but you can never talk to anyone there who can answer with a definite yes or no.

4. MickeyHeath

MickeyHeath New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    London
    Thanks for the info guys. If (and hopefully when) I come over it would be September 2003 or 2004 in the second or third year of my course here. I could also go to Kansas State or Sydney, Australia but I want to go to Connecticut partly because its quite close to New York(89 miles I think) and also as a bit of a basketball fan I wouldn't mind watching the UConn basketball team go for the NCAA title :) The New York option sounds the best for watching the games, I'll have to check out Nevada'a when I get to America. If while I'm over there any of you ArseAm members will be very welcome to 'borrow' my Ticket Registration number to get tickets for games.

Sorry Martin....I don't have any cute sisters!

5. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
  6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I would think that any time at all spent in Manhattan, Kansas, would be like jail.

7. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
  8. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    But I've heard that all of that isolation from the outside world has turned K-State (and KU as well) into quite the party schools. So yeah, you might be in the middle of nowhere but if you like partying, this might be for you.

But then, I've partied with Aussies before and I'm pretty sure a University in Sydney could hold it's own.

9. MickeyHeath

MickeyHeath New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    London
    Thanks again for your help guys, especially gwebster-it doesn't look like theres much around the CT area- still might check those places out.

Sydney is tempting but my Mum used to live there and so I've been to Australia a few times. Would like to try something different and I've never been to the US before. Kansas State...sounds like there are differing opinions about the place. Non-stop partying sounds good but I don't know if my bank balance can take it together with a couple of return flights across the Atlantic :(

10. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i've been to connecticut, and no offense to the guys that live there, but i thought it was the most boring place in the universe. one of my friends went to yale, and he agrees with me. he hated every minute he was there. the only reason i can see going to connecticut is for NYC. i'm not trying to offend any CN people here, but it's just my opinion

11. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    (smugly) well i can see your friend never attended the pumpkin festival in seymour :)

12. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    The Playwright in Hamden is my favorite place to watch locally. About 20-25 minutes from New Britian.

www.theplaywright.net

13. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    ...but Nevada Smith's is worth the trip to the Big City.

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Eghhh... London to New Britttian, CT. I had a bunch of friends that went to CCSU. Not to discourage you but that place is a piece of *#*#*#*#.

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Obviously you didn't go to Yale, or know your georgraphy very well. CT buddy CT

16. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Maxim,

if you don't mind, I'm going to take your post and have it be my signature, an absolute classic.

Yeah, well I've seen Waterboy. Should that be enough for me to make up my mind about LA?

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are also Playwrights in Stamford and New Haven, for that matter. The one in New Haven is supposed to be huge and very good.

18. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    It's really nice, but a complete frat boy bar and they have no idea as to whether or not they're showing any games.

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gotcha. I've never been in there myself - just heard about it. Maybe this winter when I'm back home.

20. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    None heretaken...too much you say is too true. You need to be married to a very hot babe(and there's PLENTY of them here...right) who likes *ahem* "Staying In" so there is no need to go out here-unless going to NYC. Living in Connecticut is kind of like living on an asteroid without the hot babe to "Stay In" with. For American Gooners look at the Connecticut State Quarter-a bare tree with a gray background-it's not coin it's a photo of this state from October to April. No I'm NOT bitter that my mom moved from New York City up here when I was 2, or that I left LA and moved back here. And no I'm not gonna kill myself from boredom-I wanna see who Wenger Signs in January...

21. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i feel really stupid about the CN thing. i'm usually really good at geography. oh well. and hey, i'm not trying to defend louisiana, i hate this hellhole. my goal in life is to live in london, the only reason i'm going into nursing. yes, people here are remarkably stupid, but i would hope that you judge me by the quality of my writing. and judging louisiana from the waterboy is like judging golf from happy gilmore. plus i don't live in cajun triangle of louisiana, so i'm absolved from any accusations of being inbred :) god i hate this f***ing state. oh yeh, and martin, that was another thing my friend told me, there are almost no attractive women there. that is at least one thing we have on CT, and the only thing i will defend louisiana on. shjt, we got girls down here that make brittany spears look average. and i mean low average...like C-. that was me pretending to be cool

22. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Being born in Connecticut carries with it certain responsibilities.

-G. Rex

23. psycho64

psycho64 New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    Shepton Mallet
    coneticut

there is a tv station in the states called fox sports world.

they show:
    premiership-
    -the noon match and a 3:00 match LIVE every Saturday
    -the 2:00 match on every sunday
    - the monday night match LIVE and any midweek matches live
    they also show
    - the french league
    - the bundesliga
    - the brazilian league
    -the argentinian league
    - the dutch league
    - la liga
    -UEFA Cup/champions league
    -MLS
    - sky sports news 2 or three times a day

24. MickeyHeath

MickeyHeath New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    London
    Cheers for your help guys

As regards the merits of UConn I spoke to a guy from there studying for a year at Hertfordshire, where I am, and he said it was a great place to study, so I don't know who to believe now :)

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well the University of Connecticut at Storrs is in the middle of nowhere but quite a cool place due to it's size and phenominal athletic program. Central Connecticut State, where yo usay you're attending doesn't hold any of those distinctions and is a far worse school.