Connally, Lalas and Tino articles.

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Nov 10, 2004.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...10&content_id=18653&vkey=mlscup2004&fext=.jsp

I know, its nit picky. But saying we won't be well supported?

1) We definitlely won't be scattered, we'll be quite compact.
    2) Its our largest road trip EVER.
    3) Some other fans, especially LA and SJ who will be there, will be rooting for us to keep the Cup in the West.

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Re: Want a reason to not like Marc Connally?

Most everyone in the stadium would like to see Kovalenko get his leg snapped in two. Secretly even D.C. fans know he deserves it. :D

3. hartley

hartley Member

Consider it just another obstacle for our team to overcome. We have overcome so much this year. One more obstacle. One more incentive.

Bang the drum. The Cup is coming home to KC!

4. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO

Connally is just buying into the whole non-attending, non-vocal fans that have been the perception of KC and the Wizards. Obviously those people aren't paying attention to what has happened in the last two seasons.

What this means to us. Much like the Wizards will have to do demonstrate they are not a "bunkering" team, we will need to show that we are loud, proud and willing to come out in numbers.

Go Wizards

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thing of it this way, he was going against us since the beginning of the playoffs. First round... he picked San Jose over us. conference finals he again picked against us saying that the league wants a LA-DC final. Now he's picking against us again.

As the late Rodney Dangerfield said "No Respect."

And you know what it worked well for him, why can't it work well for us.

6. Furia Yanqui

Furia Yanqui New Member

May 15, 2003
    USA

I can see why Conolly says what he said.

KC fans were far outnumbered by Fire fans at MLS Cup 2000.

DC United had a good group of Screaming Eagle fans right behind one goal at MLS Cup 2003 at the Home Depot Center. Didn't matter to them that their team wasn't playing.

The crowd at the last KC game seemed into the game when Wizards scored. The DC crowd the next night was even better, as good as any in MLS history.

The Barra Brava is as loud as any group in MLS except maybe Section 8 in Chicago. I haven't been to Arrowhead in years, but DC fans make more noise than KC fans, don't they?

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. We're no where near where Section 8 and the DC fans are. I wasn't implying that. I also know that we'll be outnumbered on Sunday.

My biggest problem with this is that a columnist on MLS' official website had to get a little dig in at our fans. All the while we're busting our butts to get as many people as possible out there. Maybe he'll be pleasantly surprised, who knows.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
  9. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam

Well, you have Greg Lalas on your side. ;)

I am not so sure he was taking a shot at Wizard supporters. He just believes that the number of people cheering for United will outnumber Wizard supporters.

Marc's theory:
    DC United supporters + Galaxy supporters cheering against KC + neutrals who want to see Adu play and win >> KC supporters.

It's certainly a debateable theory (especially the Galaxy supporters part - LA fans have no love for DC either) but not unreasonable.

BTW, congratulations on the great season. I am looking forward to watching this game at the HDC.

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

MLS made Connolly pick us, because they wanted to do a point-counter point thing with him and Lalas.

Gurantee if he was given free reign for his pick, he'd go with you guys. He NEVER picks DC. :)

The only two media people who have picked DC so far have been Eric Wynalda and Lorrie Fair.

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Yeah, but he picked against us throughout the playoffs as well.

I agree though, they probably made him pick DC. Cause Lalas has been talking about us off and on all season.