CONMEBOL: The door is open for MLS teams to play in Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Manolo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    [​IMG]

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    RESPETO A TODAS LAS OPINIONES----The door is open for MLS teams to play in Copa Libertadores

thread under MODS watch.

3. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I don't agree with MLS teams competing in the Copa Libertadores. What they should be able to do though, is take over Mexico's invitational spot in the Copa Sudamericana.

CONMEBOL can reduce the participation of Brazilian teams from 8 to 5 or give up one of Argentina's spots & that solves the issue with berth availability.

4. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Plop! :)

5. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    omg lmao..hahahahhahahahah,, That's the funniest thing I've seen..Watch out for an infraction...:D

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  8. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks Chaski. LMAO.. Where's Huevo Duro? I haven't seen this stuff in years!!!!

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Very nice to see some of René Ríos Boettiger`s work, also known to many simply as "Pepo". He had comic characters that represented almost all the American stereotypes, and some of all the worlds too, but certainly the most well finished one is obviously his favourite "Condorito", whom he dressed with many outfits to represent diferent situations, as the one related to the 1986 WC. As a very special anecdote, I had the pleasure to know the guy, when he was alive and despite me being a small child and him a grown up old man, he always had the patience to depart with me in the small seaside town of "El Quisco" at the border of the Ocean side, which was one of his favourite places. He even once created a comic character for one of his "Condorito" comic strips based on me, and named it after my real name, which I worship, but wasn`t succesful, so he didn`t use it again, although he drew it in many of his Condorito comics.

Too much off-topic, but can`t deny it really brought me, great memories.
    Thanks Chaski, my friend. Sincerely.
    :cool:

10. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like that Idea. Start off with the MLS in the Copa Sudamericana and see where it goes. Eventually the MLS taken over the spots in the Copa libertadores from you know who.. I can listen to the FSC commentators all day, every day instead of listening to the non-conmebol coms..

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    otro problema para la participacion de MLS

la copa liberta. empieza el del 6 al 16 de cada febrero- mas o menos

y MLS solo empieza competencia en abril:eek:
    estarian en desventaja.... sera que ofrecen mucho billete a conmebol para participar?

aun....no me imagino un partido de seattle vs defensor o danubio

dos dias de viaje?! que desgaste

12. freakyflow

freakyflow Member

Jul 10, 2009
    az
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Holly shit does this thread suck ass. lol aww c'mon suracas, libertadores would be poor shit withouth mexican funding get the hell real lol. santander? need i say more haha please dont bring your sorry ass excuses nobody's buying it. Argentinefutbol aw the number one retard with the most biased ignorant full blown dumbass commentry. So we have no cultural similarities? you my friend are completely wrong, no one is saying identical doofus. Obviously you dont know jack shit, your logic blows do your research kid seriously.

13. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    watch ur language, you are in the Conmebol section.;)

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :eek: WOWWWWW !!!!!!!
    You know something ?,
    if anything can be granted to our Mexican friends here, is that they are the best in complaintning and replicating with swears and foul language. They are gifted and have this special talent among our hispanic nations. Although by doing that, they`ll never win anything in Football. And once again it confirms why I don`t want anything of them around here no more.
    :p

15. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The funny thing is that anyone who says anything contrary about mexican futbol is Bias or is a racist.. The hilarious part is, its not even Contrary, Its the goddamn truth. A Simple Statement like "Mexican Futbol Sucks" and you are a racist, Biggot, the next latin american hitler and have problems with every single mexican, all 135 million of them......really????..... Oh my god!! The Copa Libertadores would not even exist if it wasn't for queenie!!! South America would friggin shutdown and not play futbol if the FMF.. didn't show up! I mean really, Last night's Copa Sudamericana showed that once the mexican clubs pulled out. it just all went all to hell.:cool: So I guess Santander is Mexican now? Let's see what the spaniards have to say about that. I can see it now, "Banco de America Copa Libertadores." Has a nice ring to it and bank of america has more money and power than Santander. We'll freaky dinky, Don't come in screaming, yelling and with PERSONAL ATTACKS, Tell us your theory on the Cultural similarities that mexico shares with Brasil, Argentina, uruguay, paraguay and the rest of South America.. What's next? Mexico is Culturally similar to Equatorial Guinea because they speak Spanish?? LMAO.. The Fatasses in the Conmebol smell "MORE" Money and are putting out feelers. The same thing that got the FMF in will take them out.. I think the last brawl in the FINAL of the Copa libertadores and the only brawl in the history (50+ years) of Copa Libs Finals, was the last straw especially with the dignitaries on the friggin pitch..So Freaky, is this post Comprehensive or is it.... What's that word you used?????......RETARDED..

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well Brasil doesn't really share any cultural similarities to any other South American countries, if anything I think Brasil is closer to Cuba as far as cultural similarities is concerned (except the language ofcourse)

As far as the others, Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay are pretty similar in culture but very different from Ecuador, Peru, Chile, and Bolivia and then you got Colombia and Venezuela who are pretty closely related.

Mexico is very different then every South American country but I did remember watching Chavo del Ocho in Brasil and in Paraguay. :)

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Even though we like it or not, we are all connected and bonded by language, origins and ancestral culture. :eek:

But that doesn`t mean that we must accept others bad lousy behaviours as our owns, since bad attitudes by those few, unfortunately ruins the whole rests image. I don`t want this kind of things here. If you can`t behave properly, better stay back at your own country and leave us, the rest, continue as we always have had, before you appeared in our regular existence. At the end who has mostly benefit out of all this relationship is those guests, who don`t learn that we don`t really need them at all, as they need us. Before this partnership begun, all their miserable existence was limited to their own country. As they started sharing with us, they`ve opened to other markets, which we already had before their appearance.

Personally I don`t believe that MLS participation will help us much, but as how things have evolved, we`ll have to accept it, but let them participate in competition with our other guests in a previous phase of the tournament, and whoever wins, they`ll participate in Copa Libertadores final phases. If our other guests don`t like it, well the door is very wide, we`ll open it for them, and diplomaticly invite them to go home through it.......:rolleyes:

The Copa Libertadores, as the Sudamericana and Copa America is OURS, not yours.

18. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Because we don't drink enough mate cultures are different now? I felt at home when I visited the San Juan - Mendoza region of Argentina.

Countries in the Southern Cone are for the most part similar, and that includes the South of Brazil.

19. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The United States is a growing market that needs to be tapped. The latest expansion teams in the MLS (Philadelphia), new futbol stadiums across the country, and even the reemergence of the NY Cosmos, are all examples of that.

I wouldn't mind traveling to all parts of the East Coast to watch MLS teams take on strong S.American competition. I'm sure Colombians, Ecuadorians, Peruvians etc. etc. would travel to go see their teams such as Liga, Atl. Nacional, & Alianza Lima take on DC United or New England Revolution for example.

Before the MLS season even started, the NY Red Bulls took on Santos in an exhibition match to inaugurate the brand new stadium in Harrison, NJ. The place was packed because Newark alone is full of Brazilians and neutral/Red Bull supporters want to see a spectacle as well.

20. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    get off your high horse.

Every country has violent or sore loser fans, an idiots who mouth off.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As a fact my friend, despite others intervention here, you seem very reasonable, as I also believe that many people in your country are. The problem is that those players who played in Chivas, didn`t know how to keep their composure after the games and through live TV to everywhere in the world they appeared saying all those heavy words of hate towards CONMEBOL as if they were being victimized, which is a very shameful show the one they did. If ever you are invited as a guest to anyones wedding, you can`t go and start fighting with fists with the hosts who invited you. It`s simply a matter of education. Or you learn to keep your correct state of mind, or as I said before, don`t go or participate at all.

From fans, as you say so, there is always some guys who act incorrect, but from players it`s inadmissible, as from their own actions they stimulate fans to also act, which in many situations will heat up an environment and fatalities can happen, out of almost nothing or product of a misunderstanding. It was very lousy attitude, and what was worst is that those players never appeared in TV and the media, saying that they were sorry of what they said. In other words, we must understand them. NO, NO, NO, the sore losers were them, they are the ones who have to ask for forgiveness to CONMEBOL, our fans and also to their own fans, and recognize that what they did was absolutely wrong. Not us.

22. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would travel anywhere in the Continental U.S to watch Boca Jrs play a Copa libertadores match. The MLS will help us as much as the FMF helped us.. I think our Fatasses in the Conmebol are getting fed up and smell more money. That Brawl in the Final of the Copa Libertadores was disgraceful. I would have loved for Sepp Blatter to have been there and witness that first hand. Start beating the Drums boys. Where there is smoke, There is FIRE!!!!! Banco de America Copa Libertadores here we come!!! :D

23. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'm a futbol fan, so even I would go see Boca face off against a MLS opponent in the Copa Sudamericana. Getting to watch Borghi on the sidelines, Medel on the field, and players like Riquelme and Palermo would be a plus.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My take on all this, If mexican teams are allowed to participate, which they've have for what 10+ years now? They bring money, exposure to the US, where many of us are posting from, which gets us to watch these games for free instead of PPV like alooooong time ago.

WIth MLS teams, it will bring even more exposure and have it in english for many americans to learn. They are eager to be 'cultured' especially those that watch soccer. They'd DIE watching libertadores with the fan support and the grassroots soccer, and not to mention seeing the 'stars' before they are stars too.

Libertadores IMO is the most real competition club wise being grassroots, and american viewers will only populate it more, as many EPL fans will be forced to notice casue it will be given on fox soccer channel in english, cause of MLS clubs, and would be given just as much attention on fox soccer report which many many MLS/EPL fans watch at night.

Im for it, as long as mexican clubs are in it. If they say only south american teams at a certain point... then gone with MLS teams too... but until then, why not?

25. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If S.Americans are hesitant, and the Copa Libertadores is in conflict with the MLS season as others have mentioned, the Copa Sudamericana is a perfect opportunity to bring American teams into the fold.

It's a worthwhile investment & even prize money can be increased with newer sponsors and tv contracts because there will be an expansion in the market. This in effect could provide a further incentive for teams to do better and ensure that A class squads compete.

I'm still wondering why MLS dropped out of the Sudamericana after 1 season back in 2005 when DC United faced off against Univ. Catolica de Chile. It was a very entertaining two legged match up.