Conmebol: The door is open for MLS teams to play in Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CACuzcatlan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give credit where credit is due, I'm linking to a post on the MLS section on Reddit because that's where I first heard the news.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/dyem8/conmebol_the_door_is_open_for_mls_teams_to_play/

Translation of the article from Google with some corrections from me:

http://www.paraguay.com/deportes/lo...s-podrian-disputar-la-copa-libertadores-52952

2. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are barely able to make respectable showings in CONCACAF, I think we have a while before we get to Libertadores. Plus CCL gets us to the Club World Cup (and a guaranteed minimum $1 million prize), so our priority should be winning that tournament even if we are allowed to play in Libertadores.

3. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we get stomped for a decade or two... ultimately this is the way to go. Plus I'm sure CONMEBOL would appreciate the access to the U.S. market.

4. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hoy, precisamente, es el New York Red Bulls de Henry y Márquez el que lidera el campeonato de fútbol de los Estados Unidos, seguido muy de cerca por el Columbus Credel argentino Guillermo Barros Schelotto."

Looks like the article's author only looked at the Eastern conference standings... "Today, it's the New York Red Bulls of Henry and Marquez that lead the championship, followed very closely by Scheloto's Crew."

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I added some quotes from the article where this information first appeared.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting.... but IMO MLS teams arent ready yet. Close.... but not yet ready.

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    It's a fantastic thing to hear that CONMEBOL is seeing the improvements from MLS. While it's a great sign that they would invite MLS sides to the Copa Libertadores, I think right now MLS should eliminate the SuperLiga and give the four clubs that won't go to the CONCACAF Champions League to the Copa SudAmericana.

I think right now that's more of a realistic tournament for MLS sides to compete in than the Libertadores, but that doesn't mean I'm against the Libertadores. I think at this time SudAmericana is realistic.

But that means both CONCACAF & CONMEBOL needs to sit down with each other and work on the calendar together to make sure it works for both confederations.

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but nobody gives a rat's ass about the Club World Cup. The Libertadores is a far more prestigious tournament.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're crazy.
    How in the world do you figure that the Sudamericana fits better? Too many teams have fixture congestion in the second half of the season, and now you want to make it even worse? A spring tournament like the Libertadores fits far better for MLS than the Sudamericana.

10. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant in the sense that Sudamericana is the second tier tournmanet, so MLS teams might have a better chance. Though fixture congestion would quickly take away that benefit.

11. fobo

fobo New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be sick! but I think in all honesty, MLS isn't quite ready for that. I think that in two years or so, they will be pretty competetive. But If they somehow started next Libertadores cup, I wouldn't complain!

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No MLS team has won a competitive game in Mexico, but one has won in South America.

Kansas City beat Barcelona on September 12th, 2001 (wearing black armbands, I'm not sure how they got home with air traffic halted) from one goal by Rocket Roy Lassiter and a brace from downtown Chris Brown.

13. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mls teams wood suck in Libertadores as when the Libertadores start we are in the off season so mls teams wood not be in game shape.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I neg rep you for this, a couple honest questions:

1) Is English your first language?

2) Do you have a learning disability?

15. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I loved the U. Catolica-D.C. United series a few years back in Copa Sud.

That was competitive, open, attacking.

Nobody who saw those games can say that the competition wouldn't be entertaining or that MLS teams couldn't at least compete.

I'd rather watch that 1,000 times more than U.S. Open Cup matches, but I know I'm not allowed to say that around here.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see how MLS can compete in Conmebol without MLSHQ providing a coupld of charter planes for all the teams competing to alleviate some of the travel problems. The distances to travel to the games is just too extreme.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why not? :confused:

18. Stefan Schuette

Jan 3, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my main issue. I mean imagine the NY Red Bulls flying to Chile to play Colo Colo for a midweek fixture, that air travel is nuts!

I just can't see MLS teams flying to South America every couple of week during the season, with parity the way it is, I see it being the kiss of death to their domestic form.

19. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    The travelling makes it too hard. But I do think a unified Copa America would be great, once every four years as now.. 2011, 2015, etc.

20. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Because people treat the USOC like it is a relevant trophy here :p

21. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    How about pay attention to what I said and finish the entire quote. All you know is the name of the tournament and not when the match days are. Let's get the calendar out for the 2010 tournament shall we.

Goal Aggregate first stage matches for 3rd thru 5th place sides in all leagues in South American countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Copa_Libertadores

First Stage: First leg January 26 thru 28th, Second Leg is February 2nd thru 7th. Winners advance to the second stage and join those who got automatic bids in eight groups.

Second Stage: Group stage matches are from Feb 9th till April 22nd whenever those dates are penciled in.

(MLS Started their Regular Season on March 27th)

Knockout stages are all goal aggregate rounds with Away Goals Rule

Third Stage: Round of 16 and the two Mexican Inter-liga winners begins at this stage. First Leg is April 27-29th, Second Leg is May 4th thru 6th

Quarterfinals: First Leg May 12th, Second Leg May 20th
    Semi-Finals: First Leg July 28th, Second Leg August 4th
    Finals: First Leg August 11th, Second Leg August 18th

Now tell me genious when are MLS sides going to be fully fit and ready to play in the Libertadores or those who qualified for it. Where are they going to be during 1 1/2 months of pre-season training? Why is it the league in Mexico have Apertura & Clausura seasons and have that Inter-liga tourney in between to qualify for two spots in Libertadores.

Think a little before you assume someone is wrong. When will MLS Sides qualify for it and of course CONCACAF will be upset if they don't play in our proper Champions League no matter how pathetic the Confederation is.

Thank you. But at the same time with the SudAmericana the fixture congestion problem could be taken away if an MLS sides get eliminated early. Libertadores has the group stage early in the year. Our sides won't be fit enough to play. At least SudAmericana is all Goal Aggregate matches with the Away Goals Rule and our MLS sides are in form and ready to play.

Draw on April 28th
    Goal Aggregate first stage, second stage, Round of 16, Quarters, Semis & Final. Not that hard to get involved with in my opinion and it all starts in August. Those clubs not involved with CONCACAF Champions League and would be in that Superliga tournament would instead go to SudAmericana.

22. beto010

beto010 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting for this for a longgggg time. I know we're not in the same category with either the Mexican or the South American teams yet, but it would really be fantastic. Like a previous poster said, I would eliminate the Super Liga and add the Libertadores. We're not at their level yet, but we're only getting better by playing the Mexicans in the CCL.

I don't know how the Mexicans do it, but the CCL teams aren't usually in the Libertadores if I recall correctly. I think I've only seen them overlap once. It's an awesome opportunity. In the Champions league, you have lower level teams competing with the Barca's of the world, it would be an amazing experience and would only help us grow and improve our futbol level.

It really would be amazing!!! I'm all for it, I know we'd lose most of the games, however, you'd never get anywhere if you don't try...

I say let's do it...

23. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I do. You don't? Sad. :(

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DpZwuz8b8"]YouTube - universidad catolica vs dc united sudamericana 2005[/ame]

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I suggest you start reading the Brazilian newspapers in December, especially the Porto Alegre ones. The CWC has also done wonders for Asia and Africa. The AFC Champions League now has prize money of USD 14 million while CAF has managed to increase its to nearly USD 6 million.