CONMEBOL Musings for RSL Fans [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Poqui Moqui, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Okay, here is a spot to talk about the CONMEBOL qualifiers coming up. Here are the standing thus far with only 4 games left:

Team Points
    Brazil 27
    Chile 26
    Paraguay 24
    Argentina 22
    Ecuador 20
    Uruguay 18
    Colombia 17
    Venezuela 17
    Bolivia 12
    Perú 7

The region qualifies the first four teams automatically to the World Cup. The 5th place team has to play a team from CONCACAF for the right to receive a bid.

Comments?

2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifications

2. Dotyhead

Dotyhead New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Bluffdale
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have who the 5th place team plays wrong. they have to play the Fourth place team from CONCACAF. That is why I want to see Mexico finish 4th and watch them get lit up by any of the teams from SA.

3. I was just going from memory, so you may be right. It would be kind of fun to watch Mexico get "lit up" by a team from South America. At the rate Argentina is playing it might be them. And Mexico would love nothing more than to deny Argentina a chance to go to the World Cup. I am afraid for Argentina. I've never, ever thought of a World Cup without them but there is a very real chance that they might get knocked out. They are almost in a must-win situation from here on out.

4. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed the 5th place team plays the Concacaf 4th place team this time. (The last time or two the 5th team has indeed played the Oceania winner.)

Chile is having a remarkable campaign this time around. Just 8 years ago, they finished dead last in qualifying for the 2002 cup so this is quite a turnaround for them.

May end up being quite a tight battle for the last spots. Right now only 3 points separate the 4th place and 8th place positions.

5. Dotyhead

Dotyhead New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Bluffdale
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not lie I agree Argentina has to beat Brasil or they are going to be dire situation. The saddest part is that it would be Brazil to put them in it. I still think 5 teams will make it out of this region. My picks are Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina gets in via the playoff spot. The funny part is the next WC Brazil does not even have to qualify being the host and all.

6. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did somebody say Argentina - Mexico????

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pURcokdbqq4"]YouTube - GOLASO! MAXI RODRIGUEZ VS MEXICO MUNDIAL 2006[/ame]

7. Dotyhead

Dotyhead New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Bluffdale
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest. Goal. Ever. Scored. (just my opinion)

9. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    +1 (even though it broke my heart)

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy
    that was a sick goal!

11. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's why I think it was the greatest goal ever.

The day after that game was played, I had training scheduled for my (at the time) U-12's. When I pulled into the parking lot, 6 of the kids were already there, and they were all trying to replicate that goal. A couple of kids would underhand lob the ball and the others would try to chest it up and then hit a left-footed volley to the far post. None of them were successful - they asked me to try it a few times and I couldn't get it quite right either.

I haven't seen a group of kids doing that before or since.

And that's why I liked the goal: It inspired a nation (a world?) of young players to try to do things they haven't done before.

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy
    Here is my prediction for how things will finish out:

Brazil 36 pts
    Chile 33 pts
    Argentina 30 pts
    Paraguay 29 pts
    Ecuador 25pts

Wouldn't that be great to have Ecuador show off with Mexico? Both matches being played at Altitude.

13. rimshot15

rimshot15 Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile? WTF?

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everybody, outside mexico and argentina fans, wants mexico to finish 4th and argentina to finish 5th. Can you imagine that playoff game? it would be epic!! Both teams would have the entire country behind them (and against them/their coach if they lost)...
    As for Chile, I agree with the comment of "WTF!?" Talk about a turn around

15. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed it would be an intriging matchup if Mexico and Argentina faced off. Would be interesting to see the reaction in our latin supporters (who include significant representation from both nationalities.)

I do however think that Mexico will get their act together and finish in the top 3 to avoid the play-in matchup.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know. Honduras and Costa Rica both look like they are a force to be had and arent just going to let Mexico take their spot so easily.
    If the US could beat Mexico there, it would cause a natural disaster possibly.

17. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mexico drops any points at home, it could get tricky for them as they have lost all 3 road games so far. They always seem to dominate at Azteca, but Honduras showed 8 years ago that it's possible for a visiting team to walk out of there with a win. If Mexico doesn't qualify it would indeed be considered a disaster by their fans (same goes for Argentina of course.)

18. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you imagine the World Cup without Messi or Ronaldo?

it's a distinct possibility -

Personally, I'm not rooting for a Mexico - Argentina play in. Want both countries in the World Cup.

Would much prefer an Ecuador - Hondorus play-in game.

19. Dotyhead

Dotyhead New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Bluffdale
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it would stink for the "Names" to not be there. But last I checked it takes 11 guys on each team to play. Euro 08 did not have Rooney but it was still good.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it had those crazy turks instead... those guys were awesome!

I would find it hilarious if Portugal, Argentina, and Mexico didnt qualify. It wouldnt be a "shame" in my opinion either. If they didnt get the job done in the qualifiers, then why should they be allowed in? We dont want the WC to become the BCS do we?

21. dstorm - I like you
    Dotyhead - I hate you
    15 to 32 - I hate you too
    :eek::eek::eek:

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why would you not want a mexico v argentina playin game? It would be a taste of the world cup before it was a go.
    Speaking of the WC.... how about those strikes? If things dont get going, do they move the tournament to England? (bad news for Brazil)

23. I don't want to be held in suspense to see if Argentina qualifies or not. That's torture. What strikes are you referring to?

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the workers strikes in south africa. The guys building the stadiums want to get paid more and are on strike (at least they were when I left for work this morning)