Congratulations to 'Lady' who was Awarded the Supporter's Shield

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Oct 31, 2004.

1. crewrogue

crewrogue New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Ohio
    Re: Scott DeBolt stole DeTrophy

Thanks for summing it up better than I would have. As I read the response from the Crew FO I was just getting angry all over again. The Crew Union certainly could have been on the field, but to have them as the main group is an incredible insult to Matt, Zak, Sirk and the many others that have been there and working from the beginning. Basically I am still too angry about the game and the presentation to write anything more that will turn out coherent.
    Walt

2. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Re: Scott DeBolt stole DeTrophy

You mean 'leave it' then.

Me of all people. Um, okay.

I think the suggestion that I should use my 'status' is offensive and disgusting. He's on the Columbus Crew's staff. You guys should know him. Why not just call him up and ask what happened in a civil tone?

We worked with Scott for a number of years in Chicago and he was more than understanding even when things got heated between him, security, and the fans. I can't imagine he'd pay any less respect to your opinions and thoughts if presented appropriately.

While, like I said, there were issues this year, the bigger problem is there is no official or written protocol for the trophy. If there were there wouldn't be such ambiguities and uncertainties. This online bitching and wailing (justified or no) diminishes whatever status the award has. There needs to be official and well publicised rules (who are caretakers, what traditional ceremonies the Shield appears at, where it is kept, protocol for transfer, etc.) It should be like one page in text, nothing fancy.

What happened was unfortunate but I'm a Chicago fan and frankly I'm not here to clean up a mess in Columbus. You are all more than capable of handling the issue yourselves, I am sure of it.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I couldn't give a ******** about the SS anymore. We've only made a laughing stock of ourselves the way we went about going out of the play-offs. Who gets presented with the Supporters Shield is the least of my woes.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "WOW! I went to a Crew game and LOOK at the neat trophy Scott DeBolt gave me.

He's SUCH a nice young man."

[​IMG]

5. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I would've settled for a handshake, I have so much clutter as it is, I couldn't fit the giant Pontiac statue next to my oscars.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This gets better and better. What a load of ********.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that your team and my team share the same owners scares the crap out of me.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    KC and Columbus have shared an owner since 1996. It's not a huge problem. There is an institutional reluctance to fire head coaches, and we do get cheerleaders, but other than that the teams are basically autonomous.

The Wizards embraced the Supporters Shield in the proper spirit, and still display a "2000 Supporters Shield Winner" banner identical to the ones honoring the 2000 MLS Cup and 2004 US Open Cups.

HSG's main fault is "being cheap", but then that goes hand in hand with small market ownership.

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Scott DeBolt is a patron saint of hope and goodness

Do not play dumb man. As invovled as you are with the supporter side of last years Shields winner and mls in general you are in a far better position than joe blow poster to know what this Supporters Shield is about and how it works. If my statment wasn't clear then my bad.

Offensive?? Disgusting??? You need to come down off that soapbox bro. No one said you should corner him and drag him out into the streets to make him beg for forgivness. If he is your "friend" in the true sense of the word I see no harm in the suggestion. I would think that a civil expliantion from someone he trusts would get the point across better than from an angry fan and perhaps he would be more persuaded. However if you guys are simply old work aquantiances then I see why you wouldn't.

BTW if you really want to see what is offensive and disgusting just type in beastiality on google image search.

I can give two shits if you say anything or not. You were the one that burst in here proclaiming the guy was your friend and suggested the thread title be changed. There was no need to take my harmless "tell your friend he messed up" suggestion and make it seem llike I am desprately seeking your help to resolve it. I am quite sure the people closest to this situation can take care of it themselves. ;)

All that venting aside....
    I agree 100% and am surpised that nothing was ever officialy put down and decided at a previous supporters summit.

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Re: Congratulations to the Fat Old Broad who was Awarded the Supporter's Shield

It's also worth noting that certain cosemtic changes were made (in protest) to the Shield prior to its presentation at the 2002 Supporters Summit, and had to be removed before it was passed on.

11. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    hey, not trying to troll here.....but, its tuesday night and i've seen nothing about anyone even 'attempting' to contact the front office via phone.

isn't this the logical first place to start?

i agree....its pretty bad what the FO did with this thing.
    shouldn't somebody try and get to the bottom of this incident directly and let crew supporters on the boards know what the result was/is?

i mean, someone asks for an email and then its just 2+ more pages of complaining. the office CAN be contacted directly, right?

lord, this almost makes the relationship between the revs fo and the revs fans look 'functional'. god, stop it. make a call already. i don't wanna let anybody be more dysfunctional than we are.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Wednesday, when I heard about all this, after I had just driven up from Columbus, I almost wanted to head back there and tell the FO just where to shove it.

13. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Is this the Revs forum, or the Crew forum?

just checkin...

14. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

Northside, would you do the honors of posting a sticky link
    to this thread in the FCD forum? Fellow Infernites do not
    understand the Clear and Present Danger we face under
    HSG ownership..... the Mystics already know, unfortuntately.

-bs

15. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Dallas is not a "small market".

Clear and Present Danger.

That picture Archer posted makes me wrench with pain.

Gut twisting, lap-band-bursting pain.

-bs

16. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That picture pisses me off!

Get you hands off that trophy, b#$%h!

This supporters shield is for the supporters and by the supporters.

Crew (mis)management botched this one big time. My biggest worry is that the trophy is recovered and sent to the summit in LA - for the good of the trophy, the Crew fans and the future of the SS presentation.

17. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did email Mr Smith last night and he was curtious enough to promptly email me back. I express the feelings that we are all feeling in this board. It seems that we all need to email the Fo and explain to them what we would like, in terms of, say, everything. The poor guy didnt even understand what I was complaining about. The only man in the FO who seems to understand me is Dave Ridenhour (DRidenhour@thecrew.com) who was my ticket rep until replaced now by some woman. Dave was an Academic All American at OSU and Captain his senior year. He knows what's going on but is new to the Club, therefore probably a little frightened to sound off.

18. negativetouch

negativetouch Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We can't even get our ticket rep--who knows us by name because we buy so many--to respond the calls or emails regarding those.

19. crewrogue

crewrogue New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Ohio
    I am going to have to stop reading this thread. Every time I do I just get angry all over. I have never been impressed by Scott Debolt, Ryan Smith or Paul Howard. The Crew FO have lost a lot of good people in the last two plus years. People like Todd Adams, Brandon Wilmouth, Stacy Slade, and Mark Smith; people who at least made you think they cared. I was/am hopeful Mark McCullers can make some positive changes, but if he is listening to this group then there is no hope. They have insulated themselves from the fans and dismissed most criticisms, complaints as just, well fans being fan(atic)s.

Walt

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave aka 'Joe' is a great guy. I'm not surprised that he understands what's up.

21. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an example of what Bruce Arena was talking about when he went off in the NY Times a few weeks ago.

22. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Re: Scott DeBolt is a patron saint of hope and goodness

There's no soapbox. I'm not preaching in the least and even said I didn't expect you to change anything. Just pointing out that those who thought the original title was so offensive the new one was as well. That is it, period, end of story.

I was involved in the conversation here beforehand so I'm not sure how the comment I made qualifies as 'bursting in' but your perspective differs.

In my opinion, the Shield is 'for the clubs, by the supporters' (not for the supporters). Meaning, the clubs win it and keep it; but the fans administer, sponsor and maintain it. I'm not sure that it is treated that way -- but again, that's my perspective on it. I wasn't very involved (if at all, really) with the Shield last season when Chicago won it.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're thinking of a different Dave.