Congratulations [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's right. Keep hope alive...;)

Seriously though, your chances are probably about 60-40 to avoid the playoff spot. If you get the playoff spot and need to get a result in Buenos Aires, then your WC chances go down to about 10%.

2. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    i really hope you arent a mexican soccer fan talking about 'class'.

3. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Repped!

Mexicans secretly wished that yesterday was really a qualifying game.

Yes, they will probably win most of their remaining home games but a few ties are likely too.

Remember the majority of their first teamers do not play in altitude.

I believe if they make the playoff against Ecuador their chances also are about 50-50 they make it.

4. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    14:45 of the FSC broadcast shows the proper-angle replay. FWIW, Goodson stands exactly 5" taller than Valenzuela. He had Valenzuela literally in-tow the entire way to the ball; Valenzuela watched it coming in, realized it was too high for him and that he was beat, and cleverly turned (away from the ball to face his [cough] mark) and dropped his head only as the ball arrived to give Goodson's face a nice landing cushion should he shockingly :rolleyes: decide to attempt to "snap" it down. Goodson actually initiated the contact, that's how subtle and clever Valenzuela's maneuver was. Some might call it dirty, predictable. I, for one, would. Looked like clear intent to injure to me; it achieved the desired effect. If Valenzuela was 1" taller, he might have broken Goodson's nose. Rocked his planet, in any case, much as Don Vincenzo described in True Romance. In viewing the various angles, in his defense Campbell's view may've been partially shielded by Goodson, but I don't think so.

Props on the win, though. Cinco a cero does indeed have a nice ring to it.

5. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I would agree.

That is why I pointed it out. An egregious shirt tug, followed by a deliberate head butt. But no call.

6. slickrick1018

slickrick1018 New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I really don't think that Jamaican ref is qualified to make correct calls. He fails to see Goodsons shirt being stretched out arms length but somehow is quick to give away a penalty when Gio gives a sweet elbow to the face as he is leaning back and falling to the ground. A replay shows that this was clearly an incorrect call.

How about that bogus second yellow? That foul looked pretty unintentional to me.

As bad as we lost, we still taught Mexico a lesson. We stayed on the field and shook their hands. I don't know if they will learn anything from it, but it was taught.