Congratulations Galaxy Fans

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by RegginaFan1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I just want to congratulate the Galaxy fans and management (of course) for choosing and getting David Beckham. WELL DONE!!!

I'm a Red Bulls fan and I am FUMING because I got the news RBNY used 1 of 2 DP slots to get...Claudio Reyna. WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won't get me to go to the stadium, but "Becks" will. Later...

2. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Thanks Allot! Reyna is a great addition to your club (NY) but I also think that using DP slot was not the smartest thing to do.

3. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    can you please wait till both DP slots get filled before you confess your mancrush on other boards?

4. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Huh? Whatever...

5. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i agree with you guys--getting reyna on a DP slot to me is like getting an over the hill european star* (see below :), which the Galaxy tried so hard to separate Beckham from during their press stuff.

I have nothing against Claudio, got lots of respect and gratitude for what he has done for our country, but I think he has too many injury problems to deal with to be an effective contribution to the Red Bulls. John O'Brien, anyone?

6. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Oh, and I hope you get Ronaldo with the other :D

7. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Mancrush? :confused: I don't think it's much of a stretch to say getting Claudio Reyna would be a bit of a let down for most people compared with Becks in terms of your team's DP.

8. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was kind of hoping the Galaxy could get Ronaldo too!:D Don't kid yourself, Ronaldo would score a boatload of goals in MLS if he came this year, especially lined up with Becks and Landon.

9. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Isn't that what the DP slots are all about? Bring big talent over, take MLS to the next level and get serious. Half of what DP is about is popularizing and marketing MLS, especially after the WC. Get well known talent here so even American non-MLS international soccer fans and the average guy will know. That costs money, but that's why I thought they came up with the DP rule, right?

I like Reyna too, but not as a DP. I like Donovan as well...but not as a DP. Instead, if necessary, there should be an American DP slot added. 1 or 2 foreign talent, 1 American DP.

Getting Reyna won't get me closer to ordering tickets or insipring me to see games at the stadium. Have a Beckham and Ronaldo on a team with an American DP will.

10. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    well said--totally agree. :)

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not at all surprised that a club with Arena in charge would use a DP slot on Reyna. For good or for worse, Reyna is an Arena favorite.

12. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena is also an Arena favourite

13. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    For MLS, I think Claudio still somewhat good material.

14. Mrs. FlapJack

Mrs. FlapJack Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Be dissapointed in Reyna all you want, but the DP is just meant for someone worth more than 400K, who has some market value to the team with name recognition or popularity. Donovan and Adu, are basically exisitng DP's. Beckham is a special acquisition. If you compare all other DP's to him you will likely be dissapointed by all of them.

15. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True about the value issue with the DP. However, I first pointed out months ago when Reyna's return was speculated, that he would most likely join MLS without the DP rule.

16. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Bill,

I was counting on that. I knew Reyna would be headed here, but not as a DP. I thought Arena's international experience and being around internationals at D.C. would have made the DP slots more valuable than that. Plus, I thought Austria would have shelled out big bucks to get a decent "Red Bull's Beckham answer", not just for RBNY, but for MLS. I guess not. One more DP left. Let's hope it's good. Oh well...

17. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You traded Guevara for a DP slot thus setting the bar for what the DP slot is worth. Reyna is a better addition to your team than Guevara so it looks to me that you are getting a good return on your DP investment. Of course let's hope you can keep him healthy enough that it won't be wasted.

18. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, Reyna will be better "drama-wise" in a sense that their will be less team drama, but also a player MUST be healthy enough to play if he's getting the bucks and a DP slot. 33 years old. Ugh! We'll see.

Maybe you're right. Or maybe Beckham was just a fluke or a once in a lifetime deal that will happen again in another 10 years? Maybe you're right. The rest of the DPs could be just be expensive Reynas and Donovans? Let's hope not for MLS to survive and grow. Hmmm. Well if anything at least I still get to see Serie A on fridays, saturdays and sundays...