Congrats to the Eagles Foursome

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Red&Black, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    The screaming eagles and mark simpson were pretty sharp at the United for DC golf tournament yesterday. I believe they came in a pretty close third (losing only to some bankers, who as well all know, do little but play golf), well ahead of my team, which shockingly finished under par.

Big ups to the eagles for their great play. Huge props to Jaime Moreno for putting up with my crew and having a lot of fun with us.

I thought the whole event was cool. Especially the fact I sat with Ray and his nephew for a long time talking football and United. got some awesome insight into some things and even found out who the "mystery" midfielder was they looked at hard earlier in the year.

2. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Glad to hear it was a good time, sorry I missed it.

3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    R&B,

Nice meeting you out there. We had a lot of fun with Mark Simpson and his wife was a trooper for riding along with us. I liked the format, all of us were able to contribute. Mark's something like a 2.4 handicap and long off the tee. It was pretty cool to be using a nine iron for a second shot into the green ala Tiger Woods.

I'll write up more later but the event was a lot of fun and count me in for next year. I overheard Jaime on one hole say he he doesn't need clubs that he could kick the ball farther.

A very nice afternoon and D.C. United put on a wonderful event which was a hell of a lot of fun.

Also this course is five miles from where I will be living come September. That will be a sweeeet place to work on my game come fall.

Bill

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am glad everyone enjoyed it.

Who was that "mystery" player? I hope it wasn't badmouthing Ian Bishop!

5. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    So who won?

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Congrats to the Eagles Foursome

Yeah R&B spill the beans, who was it?

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Re: Re: Congrats to the Eagles Foursome

No bad mouthing of Ian, oddly enough, we had a long conversation about Bishop, very positive.

He asked me not to say about the player (he scored a goal for a newer european team that did very well last time in the WC, stayed in the group stage this time) there may a chance to get him in the fall, you guys will have to wait until the Barra Brava gets me that drunk again!

8. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Bill, it was great meeting you as well. I hope your day was better than mine.

I am sure when Jaime said he could kick a ball farther, he was probably talking about one of my shots!! The only thing I did right was tip the beer lady!

ps--Jamie brought someone with him also, but he wasn't as nice looking as simpson's wife ;)

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Re: Congrats to the Eagles Foursome

That would be......um, Saturday Night? ;)

10. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    THe winning team was United Bank I believe.

My thoughts on the event:

- Thank you to DC and Fairfax National for putting a great event together

- Big props to Jason Kreis who is a very nice player and battled all day even though he had a nasty stomach virus. We gave him every opportunity to quit but he kept playing

- Big thumbs down to the lack of people involved in the silent auction (better for me though - Moreno Unity Games jersey, Etch jersey from this year, and MLS CUP VIP package for four all for $500)

- The players were great - I won't say which two were not great on this board but talk to me at the game or PM me and we can chat.

- I almost killed Da Bruce. Fairfax National is a little tight and a lot of the tee boxes are right on top of the green. I lost sight of my ball on one hole, it must have hit the cart path and picked up speed, went right through Da Bruce's legs. My father and Jason Kreis also almost cracked them. Thats ok, Ali's group almost got us three or four times as well

- Chicken Out - big thumbs up for some excellent grub after the golf match

Great time overall even with heat indexes of over 110

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Congrats to the Eagles Foursome

I think you can be sure I will be there. Its Chico's birthday--all us old men stick together!!

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are officially out of control.

:)

13. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    One of my clients, who played with us yesterday wrote me this:

"Also, I will now consider
    myself a big fan of Jaime Moreno - I was really impressed with his kindness,
    warmth, and enthusiasm - he really came across as a great guy, and an
    ambassador for his sport."

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    If you stuck around until the raffle and sat near Jaime you got a good laugh. He was yelling at Ray to pull his tickets. He then was yelling at Ali when Ali won the golf gift certificates and putting thing. He was pretty funny. Nellie is a crack up as well.

15. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yeah we sat at that table at the raffle. then afterwards ray sat with us and he and i talked football for a long time. it was fun.

16. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I think we should schedule an intervention. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What a coincidence - come September DC United's gonna have a lot of free time so there will be PLENTY of time for the team to come by and you guys can all play together!

18. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Well, I like those guys and all, but I really hope they would be playing golf out there with me in November #@$%&*%#@ and not September or
    October.

Bill