Congrats to Nordecke

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by junior21, Oct 28, 2008.

1. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to throw this up and say Congrats to Nordecke for winning "Jim Nelson Crew Fan Of the Year" award. This section deserved it and no one other. Props for HSH, CSU and LTA for sticking together as a family and being the 12th man on the field.

2. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    While the Nordecke deserved this award, and deserved it more than others, to say "no one other" deserved it is a stretch and, once again, insults a great number of other supporters throughout the stadium.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    No need to get overheated about this. A winning team brings back old fans and brings in new ones, and attendances have been better this season with the punters have been getting involved in the game and adding to the atmosphere and the experience.

The Nordecke has been a significant new dimension to the experience, the sound and the sight, and the fact that players really seem to feed off it definitely makes them first among equals.

Even better, nobody expected anything like this when the stage was built.

Edit: I hadn't understood that the Nordecke had been given the Fan of the Year Award by the Crew.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I believe FF made that point when he specifically said that the Nordecke "deserves it"

All he was saying was that it is a bit obnoxious and unnecessarily insulting to some others to claim that "only they" deserve it.

And I agree.

Can't you just say "congrats Nordecke" without the chestbeating?

5. kycelt

kycelt New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Shepherdsville,KY.
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats guys and girls,the atmosphere Sunday night was great.

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, just like people expect you to rail on TFC at any given chance, and people expect Crew Fighter to take everything 10 miles out of any given context and me to use 5 smilies too many, when have we expected kristina (junior21) not to beat her chest about something? It's just what we DOOOO, man!!!! :D

7. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Eboe, will you stop slacking and update your signature line. Something about 57 points and DC slayers comes to mind, besides the Supporters Shield.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I dig smiles.

9. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, never. It's the same thing when certain people want to determine what clothes people can wear in the stadium and want to ban all scarves other than the bar scarf. It's simply inconceivable to some people that anyone supported the team before this season, and if they did, they were doin' in wrong. The Nordecke is the be all end all of soccer supporters, and more specifically, whatever miniscule group or clique is the flavor of the week is responsible for turning things around.

Frankly, it smacks of insecurity and and immaturity. It shows how a few of the so-called "fans" are not really in it to support the team, but rather for self-aggrandizement. They like to think of themselves as important, they like to be on tv, and they like to dismiss anyone who's not like them or who might have come before as inadequate. They latch on to the success of a side and claim it for themselves, even though it has more to do with Sigi's aloaf, insane drive to vanquish the demons of the last 4 years, Guille's other-worldly soccer intelligence, and the passion and drive of those on the field than anything else.

At this point I'm sure it will be useless to say so, but I have nothing but respect the *vast majority* of the nordecke supporters. HHM, Chelsey, eboe, bradd, kmmc, jericho, these are people I can think of by name who I've met or come to respect, and I'm sure I'm leaving out a good many. The groups themselves - LTA, HSH, CU - I friggin' salute you. You've done a great job, and deserve the recognition you get. Don't forget that the job is never done, keep working with each other, and welcome and work with the new groups that will surely pop up in the years to come. It's obvious that the team has a special bond with its supporters this year.

But for those who think every conversation is a dick-check and who think they're better than the other Crew fans - get over yourselves. You couldn't help FlyerFan take the black and gold walker out of his trunk or carry his seat cushion into the stadium.

10. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done. :D

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dems, Reps, and Independants, oh my!!!

12. powerplay40

powerplay40 New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Columbus,OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    'herd Dat.
    Why must some try to destroy something as wonderful as the Nordecke?
    I've got season tickets in 134 and i think I've sat in them for maybe a game and half this year. The rest of the time has been spent in and around Nordecke. Thus-Nordecke is not just people who have a ticket stamped in the section, it's anybody who wants to come.
    But, the three groups have inspired fans to be fans and for that THEY deserve the 12th man award.

13. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ones saying that the the supporter's groups didn't deserve it, just that they weren't the only ones deserving of it.

14. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the person who drives Sirk to the stadium from the retirement home so he can dictate his notebooks from memory in one draft to volunteer english students from the local high schools because he lost his sight in a horrible accident at Obetz a few years ago? I think she deserves some recognition.

15. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *insert mushroom bruise joke here*

16. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sirk only wishes this story was 1/2 true and that he had some young hot assistant, but the only change would be from the source: local community college, not high school. That's just creepy otherwise. *yuk*

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on the f_cking mark, mateo.

18. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a *totally* platonic relationship.

19. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How the hell did crewfighter not win the award? He has done more for as a fan than any of us shmucks. :D

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I didn't have enough rep for your CF post on Friday, what the heck makes you think I can rep you now. Just stop posting for a while okay. You're making the rest of us look bad.

21. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, just before reading this thread as I logged on this morning, I just finished reading this story that appeared on my homepage.

Group Pride Rooted in Insecurity
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20081028/sc_livescience/grouppriderootedininsecurity

Excerpt:

False pride
    The results showed that groups in which individuals boasted and gloated - a sign of hubristic pride - tended to have low social status or they were vulnerable to threats from other groups. So the worse the person felt about their group's status as well as how badly they thought the public viewed the group, the more likely that member would experience that empty, boastful pride.

In contrast, those groups that expressed pride by humbly focusing on members' efforts and hard work tended to have high social standing in both the public and personal eyes.

Hubristic pride can rear its ugly head in both small groups like sports teams and larger groups like citizens of a country.

"A lot of this has real-world implications," Tracy told LiveScience. "There are some kinds of collective pride where people get really angry and hostile and feel like 'it's not just that my group is great but my group is better.'"

She added, "You can think of it as the distinction between nationalism and patriotism</SPAN>, with nationalism being the sense of it's not just that I love my country, it's that my country is best."

When group members show signs of hubristic pride, such as making grandiose statements about their country, that could be a sign of underlying insecurity, the researchers said.

"When you hear groups starting to get into that type of rhetoric it may be because they're starting to realize they're in a losing position and that they need to do something to try to drum up respect, to drum up the kind of status that they feel they're lacking,"

22. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I've been grumpy ever since all of Archer's lawn invaders starting coming to my house. I can't yell, "Get off my lawn!" as effectively as he can.

Well, to be fair, people did tell him to stop *that* or he'd go blind...

23. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell you what - how about you get Bill and FF and we'll call it even? :)

24. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump an argument, just keep the mamacitas in the stands coming and I'm cool.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Paging Dr. Freud.

QFT.

And how in the name of all that is Holy could anyone seriously construe FF's comment as "getting overheated" unless they, themselves were itchin' fer a conflict? (I mean, everyone needs itches scratched now and then, but we've been scratching all friggin' season)