Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by SammyP, Oct 22, 2021.

1. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I hadn't thought about that as a factor, but living in Illinois you see this routinely in college football and men's basketball. Getting sideways with high school coaches and club coaches in basketball in greater Chicago can hamstring your program.

2. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    UMass to the MAC. I wonder what that does for soccer. Still short of six teams but where does UMass stay in A10 for soccer?

PostGame repped this.
  3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The 2024 autumn college sports season will be weird.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Weird is the new normal in college sports.

5. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    WolverineFutbol repped this.
  6. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
  7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Wow. Travel budget going crazy in Delaware. I'm kind of happy to see Denver, UNO and maybe ORU. I've seen these play live in previous years, but it's cheaper for us East Coast fans.

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  8. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    I expect Delaware to get better over the next few years. Tommy is an excellent coach.

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Delaware was significantly better in 2023 than they have been for awhile (in my opinion).

10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #185 Benny Dargle, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    Seattle and Grand Canyon from the WAC to the WCC starting Fall 2025. The WAC would drop from 9 to 7 men's soccer teams and the WCC jumps from 8 to 10. Makes some geographical sense for Seattle and UTRGV not to be in the same conference. It now joins Portland and Gonzaga as natural Pacific Northwest rivals

11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missouri State to CUSA.

12. BigGreenTruck

BigGreenTruck Member

College: The Thundering Herd of Marshall
    Aug 29, 2023
    South Charleston WV
    CUSA quit sponsoring soccer when 6 took off for the AAC and 3 took off to the Sun Belt.

Could UMASS be the magic 6th school for the MAC to start sponsoring soccer again. I gotta think Akron would throw a fit since they took off to the Big East.

13. BigGreenTruck

BigGreenTruck Member

College: The Thundering Herd of Marshall
    Aug 29, 2023
    South Charleston WV
    I obviously meant Missouri State, that's what ya get for posting at 2:30 in the morning.

14. IntoTouch

IntoTouch Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    That is two in and two out for the WAC. GCU and Seattle out. Both Faith based schools joining a Faith based conference. SDSU and OSU join the WAC. Which conference got better? Seems even event to me.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I so hope that an eventual byproduct of all this conference realignment is different conferences for the revenue sports and the non-revenue ones.

For football, if UCLA wants to fly to Rutgers for a conference game, well, they generate more than enough money to pay for that and the game is a bid enough deal to justify it. (Though I personally can't imagine thinking "UCLA at Rutgers? Get me to the couch, stat!")

But for soccer and all of the other welfare sports living off the football/basketball teet, let's go back to regionalizing these conference affiliations in ways that make both geographic and competitive sense.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, does Missouri State jump into the OVC? But, MVC could very well just allow them to stay.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU will be in the WCC on a two-year agreement.

IntoTouch repped this.
  18. IntoTouch

IntoTouch Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    Opps did not have my reading glasses on. C looked like an a

19. Preserved Killick

Preserved Killick New Member

Corinthian Casuals
    United States
    Sep 9, 2019
    Don't disagree, although...

UCLA has played Rutgers the last two years and I think it was a great experience for both teams.

From what I hear, this season the Bruins will make three trips East, playing two opponents each trip. Not that dissimilar from past schedules where they'd make a Bay Area trip for Stanford and Cal and a Pacific NW trip for UW and OSU, albeit with longer flights.

Benny Dargle repped this.
  20. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Beyond the longer flights, the time difference is the biggest change from those northern two game trips. It takes a full day to travel east and the jet lag can be real when they play. Nothing they haven't done before on occasion, but it can mess with your internal clock if you have to do it repeatedly over a season, especially if you don't sleep well on a plane.