Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by SammyP, Oct 22, 2021.

1. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Yeah the "Dixie" probably not the best term to use with its connection to the Civil War/Slavery.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I mean, unless that's what you're going for.

I suppose if it were a school in, say, Mississippi, then, yeah, it would make some sense, even though it was still offensive. But in Utah?

(Apparently that part of the state was called "Utah's Dixie" by Brigham Young because of the climate and the name stuck.)

3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To show how little attention I've been paying to collegiate soccer lately, I somehow missed that Chicago State is now an affiliate member of the MAC for men's soccer. Apparently, this is news from almost a month ago and I just heard about it.

I'm tempted to say they'll be the punching bag of the league but they did beat Northwestern and had close matches with Xavier and Michigan albeit they were outshot. NIU did beat them handily, 3-0, while outshooting them 18-3 with 11 of those shots on frame.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/202...n-mac-as-affiliate-member-in-mens-soccer.aspx

4. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    They started the season 2-1 followed by a 15 game winless streak. Only hope is international recruiting and maybe a few city kids from Chicago.

5. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Southland conference doesn't have men's soccer. So, I don't expect that this decision will change IAW's continued participation in WAC - but perhaps IAW will move to another conference.

7. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    I posted the info (comment #74 of this thread).

PlaySimple repped this.
  8. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, I just missed it is all.

I’m rarely on these forums. I’ve followed men’s collegiate soccer pretty closely for years. Perhaps the fact that I am not as diligent about following it lends further credence to the notion that the game will somehow need to change. At least that is how I must be feeling if my interest has waned.

9. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016

Big move will get the conference realignment games restarted, especially in the West.

For men's soccer, UCLA to the Big Ten leaves the Pac-12 with four members + one affiliate (SDSU). I would expect UNLV, San Jose State and Air Force to slide over to affiliate with the Pac-12, if they haven't already joined the conference as full members by 2024.

10. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    There are reports that Washington (and Oregon) have applied for Big Ten membership.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...d-oregon-eyeing-big-ten-admittance/ar-AAZ3oSH

11. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Chesco United repped this.
  12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    When will the B1G acquire University of Alaska - Fairbanks?

Chesco United repped this.
  13. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Air Force and Seattle both announced their schedules today, and neither included UIW. Seattle had previously posted a schedule with UIW included and it's now been changed. I wonder if the WAC threw them out as an affiliate when they pulled a last-minute change-of-heart and remained in the Southland Conference (which doesn't play men's soccer).

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  14. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Most released WAC schedules are now reflecting this. Either the UIW game has become a non-conference match or the school has been dropped from the schedule completely.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  15. IntoTouch

IntoTouch Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    May 3, 2022
    San Diego State is now talking to the SEC...

16. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    Maybe I'm in the minority here. Maybe not.

But all of this movement is just a travesty, and I don't think that word is strong enough.

Its just terrible.

Fitballer and IntoTouch repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Someone should step up and propose different conferences for the non-rev sports.

I mean, it's crazy for football and hoops but at least they generate enough coin that can justify the charter planes to ease the travel burden.

But it's preposterous for tennis, gymnastics and, yes, soccer teams to be traveling across multiple time zones for conference games.

espola, Fitballer and BigRedFootie repped this.
  18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Four trips in Big Ten for UCLA to midwest or beyond. Maybe with online learning they will combine a Wednesday/Sunday twice a year so it won't be too bad.

19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Because UCLA is on the quarter system, they could actually schedule at least one, if not two, double game trips before school starts at the end of September and not miss any class at all. They already did this semi-regularly anyway with their non-conference schedule (especially pre-pandemic). For example, in 2019, they played Northwestern and Indiana in Bloomington around Labor Day weekend, in 2018, they had separate road trips to Coastal Carolina and Maryland in late August and early September, and in 2017 they played at Maryland and Georgetown over Labor Day weekend and had a separate trip to to play at Clemson the third week in September. Even in 2022, they are currently scheduled to play at Rutgers on Saturday, Oct 29, which might just mean a Friday flight and a return on Saturday night or Sunday morning and likely no classes missed (since the players avoid Friday classes in-season anyway because of the current Thursday-Sun conference schedule).

I expect that the non-conference games will become the former Pac-12 teams in CA (e.g., Cal, Stanford, San Diego State) plus the local non-conference CA teams they can play already (e.g., Santa Clara, LMU, San Francisco, other UCs like Santa Barbara, Irvine, Davis, Riverside and Cal States like Northridge and Fullerton). For bigger non-conference road trips, they might do the UW/Oregon State/Portland-type games, rather than go to the east coast schools like Georgetown or Clemson or Coastal Carolina. The result will be that the overall mix of local to long travel games might not be as dramatically different as people are suggesting, especially with half the conference games at home.

20. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I wonder if the Pac-12 will continue to schedule them or will there be any type of moratorium on OOC scheduling ... I would imagine lots of Big West and WCC teams with a couple of WACs sprinkled in. Will they allow them to compete for Championships or punish like some conferences have in the past ?

21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I suppose it's possible, but keep in mind that the current Pac-12 with UCLA only has 6 men's soccer teams and that's with San Diego State admitted to play as an affiliate. Those teams need games and it's hard to imagine they would refuse to play UCLA or anyone out of conference for men's soccer. I don't think they would want UCLA playing a full schedule of Pac-12 teams, but the pickings start to get slim without them. It's easier in football where there are only a few non-conference games.

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for some updates for 2023 (until more changes)!

MAC - no longer sponsors MSOC
    MVC - Northern Illinois, Bowling Green State, Western Michigan
    Big East - Akron (unannounced)

23. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akron is not joining the Missouri Valley Conference. Confirmed.

ThePonchat repped this.
  24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States