conferdeartion cup

Discussion in 'England' started by Goldy, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    why weren't england in the competition that just took place in germany?

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    The European winner of Euro2004 wasn't England, it was Greece. The Confed Cup is a tournament for the Champions of the various Federations or Continents. Germany was host and thus played as well.

3. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Not particularly important even if England are not in it! Winning Euro would be great but this competition just makes the players tired/injured with IMO very little benefit.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    If you aren't in it, its never worth winning is it. Just like England in the U20 Worlds. They didnt qualify either "so its unimportant". :rolleyes:

And if the Olympics are "unimportant" I wonder why there was such a major push for London to "win" the hosting of those "unimportant" Olympics. I think there are a quite few of the "cloth-cap" types who think ANYTHING is unimportant if it doesnt involve their club. That closeminded attitude has been displayed in spades by the Manchester United "Luddite United" members!

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went out to watch a few of the confederations cup games, for something to do, and the attitude of the fans there was that it was just a nice football-themed party. There was a terrific atmosphere, or 'vibe' to be more exact, about the games, with people just wanting to have a good time, but there was an overriding sense that it really was not important.

The U20s? Have you ever seen the teams we send out for the U20s? It's like an U21 C team at best. If we thought it was even remotely important we might pick slightly better players.

The Olympics? What's that got to do with anything. Do you really believe we wanted the Olympics because of the football tournament?

And I've no idea where the Man Utd luddite reference comes into it at all.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    To give Prenn an apoplectic stroke when US commentators repeatedly wonder why the home team of Britain is not represented in the football tournament.

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D

8. Texas4x4

Texas4x4 New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    How did Argintina get in if Brazil won the COMNEBOL tourny???

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    To make up the numbers: two from Europe, two from SA, one from the other four confederations.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think he means some fans are choosing not to kiss Glazer's ass.

11. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Not true, M and you should know so. :rolleyes:

The Confederations Cup roster are the 6 Confederations' Champions plus next WC Host plus last WC Champion.

Brazil - last WC Champion & CONMEBOL Champion, so the next team in CONMEBOL (Argentina) represented that Confederation.

Greece = UEFA Champion. Germany - Host of the next WC (2006) thus Host of this Confeds Cup (2005).

The next Confeds Cup will be held in South Africa in 2009, so the CAF Confederation would have at least two representatives next time (SA + CAF Champion or alternate).

12. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hmmmm. Love these people.

Always got an opinon on something they don't understand. Got to admire their fledgling spirit in these matters...

Our u-20 teams are a normally joke. Usually a bunch of Championship or 2nd division players or EPL reserve players. But if you watched the recent Toulon tournament and Euro tournament in Norn Ireland, you willl see that this is not specfically the case.

If you want to go further down the youth ladder and look around, then we have a pretty enviable record...

So don't talk about not taking these seriously....

Lmao. :D You think that the Olympics were centered around the football tournament? Rofl. What a joke.

Get your facts right. The Olympics is an u23 tournament anyway.

Ay-appen. ;)

You missed out the fact that they have to tend to their whippets after having gone to the pub to get the fuel they need to beat up their domesticated wives.

But aside from that. Great cliche. [​IMG]

I would have gone with a hooray-Henry and the top-hat myself.

Please explain what FC United has to do with international football? Please I would love to know. Since when is this behaviour indicative of the national mentality? Or do you believe that you know? Yep, those bastards at AFC Wimbledon are ruining the good-name of the St-Kitts and Nevis international football team by allowing their part-time butcher's apprentice to play in goal on Sunday's during which his team's important WC qualifier against Anguilla is being played.

Those bastards...

But, well done.

You've just made the dumbest post thread. Any comments, any-one you wish to thank for this steaming pile of cack you produced? Go-on, don't hold back on the speech for us...