Confederations Cup Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Englishref, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Getting news on the officials appointed for the tournament coming through in dribs and drabs. At present I know of the following officials going to South Africa this Summer.

Referees

AFC

Matthew Breeze (AUS)

CAF

Coffi Codjia (BEN)

CONCACAF

Carlos Batres (GUA)

OFC

Michael Hester (NZL)

UEFA

Massimo Busacca (SUI)
    Martin Hansson (SWE)
    Howard Webb (ENG)

Assistant Referees

AFC

Ben Wilson (AUS)
    Matthew Cream (AUS)

CONCACAF

Leonel Leal (CRC)
    Carlos Pastrana (HON)

OFC

Jan Hendrik-Hintz (NZL)
    Mark Rule (NZL)

UEFA

Peter Kirkup (ENG)

Reserve only: Eddy Maillet (SEY) and assistant Bechir Hassani (TUN)

2. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting to see Breeze after the australian cup final.

also webb going to yet another intl tournament.

3. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    A bad referee one game does not make. You have to prove incompetence, not just humanity, to end your career. I had a pair of stinkers yesterday, one as referee, one as AR2. Today I got assigned a D1 amateur center for Sunday, a W-League center between rivals in June, and a WPSL center between rivals in May.

4. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree 100%, i just didnt word it correctly.

i am glad that his ability is not in question. i think that breeze is an excellent referee!

5. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I would edit the OP but don't seem able to.

Anyway, here is the final official list of officials for the Confederations Cup 2009.

Referees:

AFC

Matthew Breeze (AUS)

CAF

Coffi Codjia (BEN)
    Eddy Maillet (SEY)

CONCACAF

Carlos Batres (GUA)

CONMEBOL

Carlos Amarilla (PAR)
    Jorge Larrionda (URU)

OFC

Michael Hester (NZL)

UEFA

Massimo Busacca (SUI)
    Martin Hansson (SWE)
    Howard Webb (ENG)

Assistant Referees

AFC

Matthew Cream (AUS)
    Ben Wilson (AUS)

CAF

Alexis Fassinou (BEN)
    Bechir Hassani (TUN)
    Komi Konyoh (TGO)
    Evarist Menkouande (CMR)

CONCACAF

Leonel Leal (CRC)
    Carlos Pastrana (HON)

CONMEBOL

Mauricio Espinosa (URU)
    Pablo Fandino (URU)
    Emigdio Ruiz (PAR)
    Nicolas Yegros (PAR)

OFC

Jan Hendrik-Hintz (NZL)
    Mark Rule (NZL)

UEFA

Henrik Andren (SWE)
    Matthias Arnet (SUI)
    Francesco Buragina (SUI)
    Peter Kirkup (ENG)
    Michael Mullarkey (ENG)

Fredrik Nilsson (SWE)

6. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Were I a betting man, I'd say it's down to four for the final even before the tournament begins. It'll be either Batres, Busacca, Larrionda or Amarilla. My money would be on Batres, especially as (no disrespect :p) but the USA wont be there, so he'll be from a neutral confederation. He's also experienced enough.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/media/newsid=1066900.html#two+referees+replaced+injury

So, Batres has another injury problem at a FIFA tournament. Wonder how many of these he can go through before FIFA pulls the plug on him. Amarilla also asked to go home due to injury.

FIFA says that two crews (from the same confederations) will replace them. Seems like a small opening for Marrufo (I say small because the US is at the tournament), but more likely that Archundia or Rodriguez goes. Not sure who the replacement would be from CONMEBOL.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    That changes my opinion of who might get the final then. I had Batres down as a strong possibility. Now, I'd say Archundia is favourite, closely followed by Busacca and Larrionda.

10. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    (Pablo?) Pozo (CHI) has replaced Amarilla.

11. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    South Africa vs Iraq - Jorge Larrionda (URU)

New Zealand vs Spain - Coffi Codjia (BEN)

12. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    On Monday

Brazil vs Egypt

Ref: Howard Webb (ENG)
    ARs: Mike Mullarkey and Peter Kirkup (ENG)
    4O: Matthew Breeze (AUS)
    5O: Matthew Cream (AUS)

Decent early appointment for Howard, so he'll hopefully get a second game. Nice to see two Aussies with him, which is sensible as communication shouldn't be an issue. Saying that, Graham Poll and Kevin Stott spring to mind...

13. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Oh, and the first 8 appointments have apparently been announced, according to the PGMO, but I can't find them on the FIFA website. :confused:

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I can't find the info, either, though it must be decided. Process of elimination would put the US-Italy match down to Maillet, Pozo and Hansson. Common sense says it's Pozo, but we'll see.

Looking at who's available, I kind of think it's natural we'll get Busacca for US-Brazil. Short of Brazil-Italy (which might be Webb's, and almost certainly won't be Busacca's) it's the biggest first round match. And you won't see a referee from the Americas or, I think, the Aussie or Kiwi ref on the match. Really seems destined for Busacca, but stranger things have happened.

15. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I don't know, don't forget Breeze did the 3rd/4th playoff last time round iirc, plus he's neutral. I think Busacca's a possibility for the US-Italy game. I don't think the fact he's European will necessarily stop him - it doesn't normally at FIFA tournaments.

I can't see Webb getting the big game unless he has a great game tomorrow, especially as it involves Brazil. I'd be more inclined to suggest Archundia for that one, or Busacca if he doesn't get Italy earlier on.

16. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Actually, scrap that, Breeze is Webb's 4O so certainly won't be on the US game.

Hansson's 4O today, so that may preclude him from doing a game tomorrow. Pozo may be an option, but he seems a bit inexperienced for such a big game. Archundia is the only 'decent' option I can see, but it looks like it'll be one of the debutants who get it then.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to think the US won't get Webb, Breeze or Hester, but I could be wrong. FIFA did put Poll on an Aussie match, after all.

I don't think being European hurts him--I do think the fact that he's ethnically Italian and from a neighboring state does, especially when there are other options.

My fault! Totally forgot Webb was already on a Brazil match.

Absolutely correct--I would agree with your suggestion.

Archundia won't/shouldn't, as he's a CONCACAF ref who is very familiar with the US. Moreover, as you rightly point out, he has to be the favorite for the Brazil-Italy match.

18. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Well you were correct MassRef:

USA vs Italy

Ref: Pablo Pozo (CHI)
    ARs: Patricio Basualto and Francisco Mondria (CHI)
    4O: Eddy Maillet (SEY)

Given the recent history of this fixture, I'm surprised one of the new WC candidates has this game. Can't help thinking FIFA could have given someone more experienced like Codjia or Breeze this game.

19. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    We'll have to see if both teams can keep their hands/elbows inside the ride at all times and they can behave in a manner that will result in a match that ends with 22 players.

20. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Predictions for the next set of games?

Breeze is in a very difficult situation. He's unlikely to get either Brazil or Egypt after the furore in his 4O game, but Group A features New Zealand, and I can't see an Aussie getting them. That leaves just Spain vs Iraq in the next round of games, and Iraq are from the AFC, same as Breeze, so I can't see him getting a game. That leaves 5 referees for 4 games, Archundia, Maillet, Busacca, Hansson, and O'Leary. O'Leary obviously can't do Group A. I'd say it's looking like:

Spain vs Iraq - Benito Archundia (MEX)
    South Africa vs New Zealand - Martin Hansson (SWE)

Brazil vs USA - Massimo Busacca (SUI)
    Italy vs Egypt - Peter O'Leary (NZL)

Leaving Archundia free to do the big group B game between Italy and Brazil, and with plenty of rest. I suspect Breeze gets the Spain vs South Africa game and Maillet the Iraq vs New Zealand game.

Having said all that, the appointments were apparently made before the controversy yesterday, so who knows?! :D

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Englishref, I just to clarify but I think Hester is there and not O'Leary...
    You know, these do become quite the interesting appointments. Breeze and Hester and their potential conflicts do make it somewhat difficult. I wouldn't say Breeze is precluded from reffing Brazil, though. It's not like he handed them something he didn't deserve or anything. But I do think he can't do Egypt now. And, quite frankly, I suspect there was around a 50% chance he was assigned to that Italy v. Egypt game. I wonder if he's truly precluded from doing Iraq, though. Yes, they are both AFC teams, but barely that. If UEFA refs can do a UEFA team, well, it is somewhat hard to logically argue than an Australian referee can't officiate an Iraqi team from thousands of miles and a half dozen time zones away. That being said, I'll make my predictions:

Spain vs Iraq - Maillet (SEY)
    South Africa vs New Zealand - Hansson (SWE)

USA : Brazil - Busacca (SUI)
    Italy : Egypt - Hester (NZL)

I'd put Maillet on the Spain/Iraq game because he needs a first round match and this one, seemingly, is the most innocuous (as he's the least experienced). I don't think any matchday 3 assignments make sense for Maillet (he can't do USA-Egypt and Iraq-New Zealand might be an elimination match).

The South Africa-New Zealand game could be the one that determines progression, so a safe pair of hands like Hansson would make sense. I think the Group B matches almost assign themselves (unless Hansson or Breeze is somehow on the USA-Brazil game, which would throw everything into upheaval).

So my only difference with you is that I don't think Archundia gets a game. I suspect that, at most, every referee will get two games. I think that if Archundia gets the Brazil-Italy game, he can then be used again for the Final. I might be thinking too far in advance on that one, though.

Taking the predictions to their matchday 3 progressions, right now I'd have:

Iraq : New Zealand - Webb (ENG)
    Spain : South Africa - Breeze (AUS)

USA : Egypt - Larrionda (URU)
    Italy : Brazil - Archundia (MEX)

22. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Yep, sorry, I meant Hester. We've had both over here training with the PGMO this season, so I always get them mixed up.

My matchday 3s would then be:

Iraq : New Zealand - Maillet (SEY)
    Spain : South Africa - Breeze (AUS)

USA : Egypt - Larrionda (URU)
    Italy : Brazil - Archundia (MEX)

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it looks like both of our predictions went off the rails. I'll claim a small consolation prize for being correct about Breeze being able to ref Iraq, but that's about all I've got to cling to!

Actual assignments:

Spain : Iraq - BREEZE (AUS)
    South Africa : New Zealand - ARCHUNDIA (MEX)

Egypt : Italy - HANSSON (SWE)
    USA : Brazil - tba

Don't see how the US match is anyone but Busacca, but still awaiting confirmation.

That would leave Hester and Maillet needing their first match. As Hester likely can't go into Group A, it is certain he'll get a Group B match. I would suspect that puts him on the US-Egypt game, but then again if the Italy-Brazil match is meaningless, that might be his. We'll have to wait a couple days to find out.

24. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I wonder if Breeze was originally down for the Brazil game, and been swapped late on?

Surprised but not at the same time, that Archundia got the South Africa game. It's a very minor group game, but it means he won't have reffed one of the finalists, so leaves that option wide open still.