Confederations Cup-like through time..

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by IceBlood34, Nov 29, 2021.

1. IceBlood34

IceBlood34 Member

Montpellier HSC
    France
    Jan 27, 2021
    Hello everyone,

Looking through the archives, I started to wonder if there might not be an equivalent to a "Confederations Cup final" from some great players who had not the chance to have EuroAmerica Cup or something equivalent, in view of the next edition between Argentina and Italy next year.
    I potentially found a match on July 4, 1965 between 1964 Euro finalist Soviet Union and 1962 World Cup winner Brazil. Brazil wins 3-0 with a brace from Pelé.
    It could also be noted that his last game (on July, 18th, 1971) was against the 1968 Euro finalist (Yugoslavia) and that there was 2-2 without a goal from Pelé. Brazil was awarded by the 1970 World Cup the previous year.
    I did the same for Maradona and I found a match in March 1988 as the Four Nation Cup against Soviet Union, future finalist next months later in Euro 1988, defeat 4-2 of Argentina, despite a goal from Diego.
    Of course Diego Maradona won the Artemio Franchi Cup in 1993 against Denmark, which could serve as a victory in this "Confederations Cup-like".
    To sum up, Pelé and Maradona played two games each after winning trophies (1962 & 1970 WC for Pelé and 1986 WC & 1991 Copa for Maradona and Argentina). It's pretty clear that Pelé and Maradona would win one victory in the "Confederations Cup-like" (1965 & 1993).
    I don't know if you see other potentially equivalent games for these players but also other potentially equivalent matches to these matches of winners of continental trophies before the 1990s (we won't hide it but very very generally the most prestigious games were/are the best South American team against the best European team).

Thanks,
    IceBlood34.

2. IceBlood34

IceBlood34 Member

Montpellier HSC
    France
    Jan 27, 2021
    I'm thinking about future editions of Finalissima.
    Last year, UEFA and CONMEBOL stated that three editions until 2028 will be organized as UEFA/CONMBEOL Cup of Champions.
    In 2022, Italy vs Argentina was for Euro 2020/Copa America 2020 winners.
    I guess the next edition will be in 2025 for Euro 2024 vs Copa 2024 winners.
    But what about the third edition?
    There will be no Euro or Copa until.. 2028, so third Finalissima postpone to 2029 ?

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think the Artemio Franchi Cup was/is the most applicable, but certainly there can be other prestige friendlies where the European and South American champions play coincidentally (or where World Cup winners play contenders from late stage Euros games like you gave examples of with Brazil vs USSR - there was another game later that year that was 2-2 but with Pele scoring again btw - Yashin being in goal that time but not for the 1st game I think).

CONMEBOL–UEFA Cup of Champions - Wikipedia
    So this is a definite example - France vs Uruguay 1985
    Rétro : France-Uruguay 1985, Coupe Intercontinentale - YouTube

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There was also the Taca des Nacoes (Cup of Nations) in 1964, but I'd say it was more akin to the Tournoi de France in 1997 than a Confederations Cup really (because it wasn't based on what had been won, or qualification through tournaments, but invitation and prospective prospects in a tournament yet to come):
    Taça das Nações - Wikipedia
    1997 Tournoi de France - Wikipedia

IceBlood34 repped this.
  5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    PDG1978 and IceBlood34 repped this.