Confederations afterthoughts: Mexico

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by FGarcia1, Jun 29, 2005.

1. FGarcia1

FGarcia1 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    After seeing Mexico's performance, would you all say Mexico has improved, stayed the same, or declined in skill? What has Mexico improved, and what needs work?

And finally, what's the concesus on Lavolpe?

2. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i felt we have improved. i admit, i was worried coming into this tournament because of the way we played against T&T and Guatemala, but the team turned things around. guess it's really true that when Mexico plays against CONCACRAP team they play uninspired, but when it comes to the big teams they show that they can take on anyone. the only thing we have to improve on is our forward situation. i hope Lavolpe can take advantage of Copa Oro to test out new forwards like Bravo, Maruez Lugo, Santana, Padilla, etc. our defense, midfield, and goalies are great though.

3. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have a question that I threw out there in another thread. Is our current national better talent wise than previous teams? I'm not talking about wins and losses, pure talent.

4. el_zacatecano

el_zacatecano New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Clovis, Ca.
    For the love of god, NO MORE CHATITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

"Our midfield is great", "forward sit. needs to improve" ummm No. you have it wrong . Mexico has many good/great forward's/striker's what is lacking is a #10 . Mex has good right and left wing mid's and defensive mid's the only #10 they have is C. Blanco who is a Center Forward. I haven't seen a real # 10 since Benjamin Galindo in W/C '94 now that Guillermo Franco is Nationalized I would rather see him Playing in place of Zinha!!!

does anyone Know Why Kikin Fonseca has Not been playing???? :confused:

6. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    One the one hand, this generation of Mexican players is more athletic & better conditioned. But on the other hand, the 1994 players seemed more skilled & had bigger individual weight (Hermosillo, Galindo, Ambriz, Bernal, Suarez).

But, this is the best Mexican TEAM ever....because quite honestly, despite all his boludeces, LaVolpe's proceso has really paid off. His been here for 3 years now (which is a recent record), and every year he adds a layer to his work. First he started forming his backfield, then tried a bunch of players & started, then formed a core group & strategy, and now he is developing variants. Just think, two years ago every body was pissed at LaVolpe for his continuing experiments & bad friendly match results. But now, with Pineda scoring masterful PKs, Salcido scoring fantastic goals, Osorio making crack plays on the wing.....what can we say? He wouldn't have found those players without all his experiments.

7. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I think Borgetti clearly showed he's Mexico's best forward. Three goals will do that. If Lavolpe takes out Borgetti instead of Kikin today at halftime, the game doesn't even go into extra time.

So what if Borgetti doesn't do a lot during games. So what if he does nothing for 89 minutes. it's that other minute that he can put away goals like no other Mexican player.

I don't necessarily think the criticism of Lavolpe around here is unfair but I do think the criticism of Borgetti is unjust.

8. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right he is the Dr. Frankenstien of Mex futbol.....

9. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have been against Borgetti in the past, but he has earned his spot on the team.

10. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I still dont understand why Lavolpe keeps playing Medina down the left. Is it so that he can put his pet JP Rodriguez down the right ? speaking of which, i hope this was the last time we see el Chato suit up for el Tri. The match against Germany was perfect for Torrado instead we get another helping of Chato, bleh.

Now i understand Medina will get called up for the Gold Cup so maybe Lavolpe will realize that el Venado is most effective on the right and stop wasting his talent down the left where we allready have R.Morales and Jimmy Lozano. Anyone know of any good left sided midfielders ? i dont think Chiquis Garcia will be returning anytime soon, maybe Osorno !!!

11. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    here here

12. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Borgetti may be a tronco, but he steps it up big time when it comes to playing the important games.

13. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Even do we got fourth place mexico did a great job they showed they can play with the quality teams.

this helped mexico for a warm up until the wc.

anyone seeing the final argentina is no match against brazil. I think it would of been a tougher match against mexico :rolleyes:

14. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    I El Tri has improved,we held our own against the EuroCup champ,had one of the greatest victories in recent memory against Brazil and we took Germany and Argentina to the distance.The team was impressive but there's always room for improvement.As far Lavolpe goes,I don't think he'll get the boot now,but I don't agree with some of the moves he made in terms of some of the substitutions he madeI feel good about this team though

15. Atlas10

Atlas10 Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    high in the sky!
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    With just Chato out and kikin and Borgetti in front, we can take the world cup home, but please chato get the fuk out of the NT.

16. AMEPUNKANIST

AMEPUNKANIST Member+

Dec 16, 2003
    Club:
    America Propria
    Heading towards the World Cup, I feel confident.

This time Mexico has to do more then the round of 16th, but then again it can all fall apart ala Argentina WC 2002, but i still feel confident.

17. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Defense looks great. GK need to work on penalty saves. "San Oswaldo" is definitely not the holy patron of penalty kicks. Midfield might need either more work or new players. Medina & Torrado are OK but they're kinda off the mark a bit.
    Other than that, the forward line needs improvement. Borgetti is still NT material but other than that, Kikin has increasingly disappointed me, Cuauhtemoc Blanco might hardly make it to the world cup. Omar Bravo & Marquez Lugo, I'm not sure either or both are really NT qualified. Honestly, I think Guille Franco is worth a try, because time flies and really we lack forwards.
    And no, I don't buy that idea that "what we need is a #10" simply because the era of the "#10" has been over since 1990. #10 is outdated, it's that simple. I'm tempted to say that is why someone like JP Rodriguez is not outstanding. He would have been a crack... 20 years ago.

18. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What?! Not even 40 years ago! Chato is rather smallish and does not move the ball well enough to justify his spot on the team. Why do you say Blanco might not make it?

Fact: We need another forward to pair up with Jared.

19. lcfc_uk

lcfc_uk New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Oxford, England
    Surely Mexico can only get EVEN BETTER between now and the World Cup Finals. I think you fellas should be PROUD of your team. I'm really looking forward to Germany 2006 (after seein some of the confed cup) now and i think you're in with a good shout for quarters/semis.....AND....GOLEO (the nowt-down-below-mascot) has just made the whole prospect even more THRILLING...

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/e/mascot.html

I hope you go far BUT, of course, if you meet England in the knockouts it won't a bottle of Negra Modelo i'll be drinking - it'll be a luvleh warm pint of hoppy bitter.....

Hey Soulfly......Favela Pelada Favela Palada

20. el_zacatecano

el_zacatecano New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Clovis, Ca.
    Why do people keep saying that Borguetti is a tronco, as if he all of a sudden started playing that way? He's never been the most agile guy...

21. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Personally I think that it was a great tournament and a great experience.

We gained respect for all our players and gained experience, and above all we proved that the team doesn't depend on one person.

I dont mind losing to Germany cause they are a good team and we were able to hang in there despite all the players we lost through out the tournament, if we had had a full squad, we would had killed GErmany. The only lost i'm still sore about is against Argentina, fvcking cheaters, oh sorry i'm not supposed to talk about this anymore.

anyway, I wanna see how Bravo does in the gold cup, that is of course if he goes, cause chivas makes it to the final of libertadores, vergara will want him there, I say take Bravo and Corona to the gold cup and let the rest of players play the final.

22. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah Yeah

Now we have all these guys saying Borgetti is still good.

In 2 or 3 more days you're all going to want Borgetti out, as usual.

23. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well to be honest he's only as good as the pass to his head.

24. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    it seemed to me that mexico played to the strength of the german defense. Yes we got a screw up(german defense) gol by kikin, and threee excellently placed balls to borgettis head(good thing not too his feet, whew)

We had more posession up a man and they were more dangerous on counter attack. Props to the crauts as they played the right defensive setup. Where was marquez? he was missed on recuperation balls to play back in the area. When we lost a ball, we really lost it as it went allthe way down to oswaldo.

Whats up with not able to win a game with out carmona y galindo?

anyways, It was a good tourney. We really showed what all of us mexicans already know our team is capable of. Now we need to perfect some of the positioning and people that get the playing time.

So is Gold cup a must win? Yes, no doubt!!!!!

25. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was going to start another thread but I'll just put it in this one.

On a grade point scale from A+ (best) to an F (worst) what would you rate the Mexico Team?

I would have given them an A-