Condolences

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Lowecifer, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  2. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Let's hope that someone -- be it the Freedom, the WUSA, or the DC stadium authority -- has the decency to pony up for a championship banner to hang at RFK. The team deserves AT LEAST that much.

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    hmmmm.

Interesting timing. It appears that the WUSA is positioning itself for immediate and drastic funding infusion from the WWC. Additionally, it paves the way for "white knight" sponsorship. I'm not ready to give up on the WUSA for next year - this next month will be critical for its survival.

We'll see....

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm really sorry for all the Freedom Fanatics out there. This sucks rocks. Hopefully there will be a successor league and we'll all be able to stand and sing again one day.

We love you Freedom, we do
    Ohh, FREEDOM, we love you

That will never change.

Sachin

5. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Thank you, gentlemen.

I know that there are a fair few diehard DC United fans who won't give the WUSA the time of day and actively want it to fail. Seeing you guys out there, and seeing how La Norte conducted itself at the 2nd doubleheader this year and really made an impact on the game, really showed me what women's soccer in this country can be.

I'll see you guys on Sunday. Let's really rock the house now.

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm a long-time DCU (heck, Washington Diplomats too) fan. But I've attended a few Freedom matches and caught a few matches on PAX. A long time ago I recognized that WUSA and MLS don't compete against each other and actually can be support for each other.

As a DCU fan, I'm sad but as a soccer supporter who recognized how special the Freedom were and what a class act people like Siri, Mia, Abby, Steffi, the twins and the rest of the gang were, the game and our city are poorer with the Freedom's demise. I'm sorry this happened and I'll hold out hope (unlikely I"m afraid) that emergency sponsors will emerge in the next month.

If that doesn't happen, I can only offer this faint hope--I used to root for some pretty good soccer players with names like Johan Cruyff and Juan-Jose Lozano and Eric Martin who plied their trade at RFK. When the NASL crashed, so did my heart--and for a while I was convinced my country would never fall in love with the sport I love. I've been proven wrong. If WUSA does end, it doesn't mean the death of women's professional soccer in the USA--only a setback that time will eventually correct.

7. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    The Philadelphia branch of La Norte proudly presents the newest weapons in the fight against soccer haters:

[​IMG]

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Because of this league...I met great people like Allyson, Cynthia, Lucy and the Heather...all Freedom fans.

*sigh*

:(