concacaf womens champions league possibility

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Philipp Morgenstern, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    With the launch of the semi professional league in Canada and the possibility of a future womens club world cup, is there a possibility to have a small womens champions league maybe with 8 teams in a home and away knockout format, It would have to be 2 nwsl teams 2 liga mx teams and 4 teams from Carribean, central america and Canada, would have to format it to make sure the nwsl teams can only meet each other in the final (same for liga mx femenil). But I guess teams would only take it seriously if there was a club world cup on the line.

nicolekayduncan repped this.
  2. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    and for the womens club world cup, it would have to be in the northern winter with same format as the mens, except that the concacaf team would enter in the semi final.

3. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    #3 Philipp Morgenstern, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    if getting any teams from Canada, carribean and Central america isn't possible then it should just be 2 nwsl teams 2 liga mx playing each other in two semi finals over two legs with the final not long before the potential club world cup in December. Maybe the mens and womens club world cups should be held at the same venue and time.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While the idea is somewhat appealing I believe that it would, at this time, be a huge failure.
    With the poor quality of play in the NWSL and the fact that the other leagues will be even worse we would see a number of very boring matches.
    I know there are many people that believe the NWSL play is good but in watching matches I have found that the NWSL's play in pretty bad with missed passes and poor choices and simply bad play that makes the bottom third of college teams look good is the norm rather than just being a rarity.

Before a CONCACAF Women's Champions league could really work the level of play must increase. But that will not happen as long as the NWSL insists on expansion when there is not enough talent for the teams that exist now.
    It is possible that the leagues in Mexico and Canada and elsewhere might produce good play but, if the NWSL is any guide at all, the leagues in the other countries will truly be pathetic.
    I wish that the play was better but it will take years for most matches in the NWSL to become entertaining and the NWSL itself will continue to dilute the talent they have by spreading it too thin like the MLS did in its early periods. The MLS has become successful because they finally got the quality of play good enough to be fun for the average fan.

Lastly look at the CONCACAF Champion's league on the men's side and you will see that the exposure is tiny and the matches are quite uninteresting.

As much as I want the women's game to succeed I do not think expansion into a champion's league format is either needed or correct at this time. It would lose money for almost all teams and I believe that is money that no team can afford to lose.
    Better would be a real strong effort into producing more good to decent players to get the level of play at least as high as the old WUSA.
    I do not want the women to try to expand in this manner until they get their own house in order.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You are in a very clear minority on all of these points....
    In terms of international play, we have three years of the ICC and one year of Louisville's tournament.... Three NWSL wins out of four, and no boring match in any of them. I don't know how much NWSL you've watched, but it's obviously not a good sample.
    Not to mentioned NWSL generally outplaying LMXF teams in the scant matches there have been so far. Plus, both NWSL and LMXF have way more in-person and TV viewership than any other leagues in the world. If you're worried about people paying attention or whether it'll be self-sustaining, those are ridiculous worries.

It's been mentioned on the forums already, but C'CAF is already planning on its own club championship to begin in (hopefully) the 2023-24 season, i.e. soon after the next World Cup. If there's any evidence from other confeds, teams will take it seriously whether there's a club world cup or not.

nicolekayduncan and Klingo3034 repped this.
  6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    how many Caribbean nations have their own women's league?

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think most have their own leagues - the question is just what level of professionalism those leagues are at. If nothing else, there are relatively well-established leagues in PR, T&T, and JAM.

nicolekayduncan and JanBalk repped this.
  8. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about just making the current Champions League into World Champions League?:)

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You say "the current Champions League" like there's only one.... :unsure:
    UEFA, AFC, CAF, and C'BOL all have their own Champions Leagues for women already.

10. nicolekayduncan

nicolekayduncan New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Jamaica, T&T, Haiti, Puerto Rico,

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Isn't CONMEBOL calling theirs Copa Libertadores ? as they do for their men.

SiberianThunderT and toad455 repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well yes - language/culture aside, it's the same thing though

13. nicolekayduncan

Jan 8, 2017
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Since the initial news a year ago, has there been any info about the CONCACAF WCL?

14. nicolekayduncan

Jan 8, 2017
    Kingston, Jamaica
    I can only imagine how busy CONCACAF staff is with all their events. But with 18 months to go it’s rather disappointing how little information is available about the CWCL. One would expect that there will be updates, “leaks”, rumours to start generating social media interest.

toad455 repped this.