CONCACAF WCQ Appointments [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 9, 2021.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full disclosure that I'm doing little more than educated guessing when playing "fantasy assigning 101" here :D, but I would imagine there's going to be some shuffling given what has happened in this cycle.

The item I've bolded is where CONCACAF has an issue - and quite possibly why I don't think it's out of the question at all that we see some UEFA crews (or at least VARs) with Rizzoli now nominally in charge. The only three non-US/non-Mexico referees I would personally trust on a big final window match would be Martinez, Escobar (I don't really trust him, but I know others in CONCACAF do), and Barton. Fortunately, they are all from countries that aren't in contention. If you're trying to keep Mexico and US referees off of VAR, you almost have to bring in some UEFA referees to at least handle VAR duties. No one else outside of PRO and FMF have any reasonable experience to handle this, especially given the stakes.

Purely from a refereeing perspective, seeing the US and Mexico with a lot to still play for makes assigning really difficult.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then Marrufo and Fischer were originally assigned, got swapped, and CONCACAF press office was unaware. Seems more than plausible.

Marrufo for injury and Fischer because of CWC appointment?

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without knowing the language proficiencies of those involved, a Spanish VAR would probably fit in very easily.

4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having lived in Europe for a while, I would guess that a Spanish VAR would work well. The differences between "European" Spanish and "Latin American" Spanish are there, but they shouldn't be an issue. I'd also say Portuguese VARs would also work since many Portuguese also speak Spanish well.

5. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    With regards to today's US-Honduras match, does the CR have any authority to stop/postpone the match due to unsafe weather conditions?

If my memory serves me correctly, they have said authority with regards to unsafe field conditions and/or crowd control problems, but can they say "it's too cold to safely play"?

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know the referee will go with whatever the CONCACAF/FIFA representative says.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #732 MassachusettsRef, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    At a practical level, your suggestion is laughable. Discerning the kick you talk about is really, really difficult to start. Stipulating it's actually there... no one cared or noticed. I mean, literally no one appealed or complained. There's not a human on that field--including the guy allegedly kicked--who even considered the idea that this was a foul. You're suggesting an absolute nothing incident on a speculative bicycle kick results in a penalty kick. There's no other way to answer your question, in practical terms, than just saying it's not a penalty.

At a theoretical level, though, it's actually quite interesting. What is the threshold for punishing a kicking foul against a defender when the attacker has attempted an unorthodox or spectacular attempt at the ball (e.g., a bicycle kick)? There's nothing in the Laws themselves that say such an incident should be treated any different than a kicking foul with the ball on or near the ground--other than the requirement that the attacker himself isn't playing in a dangerous manner, of course. But presuming that threshold is met... can others envisage giving such a penalty? What factors would you consider?

50/50 Ball repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no scenario where this match is being postponed tonight due solely to cold. Everyone knew what was possible when it got scheduled in the first place. If cold was a legitimate concern or justifiable reason for postponement, then this venue wouldn't have been sanctioned. Also there's no plausible time to make it up. At the threoretical level, yes, the referee is working with CONCACAF/FIFA on any postponement. But it's not happening.

It does raise another interesting point, though. This will undoubtedly be the coldest match the Jamaican crew has ever had. It's not just the away team (and many home team) players that are in unchartered territory here.

JasonMa and socal lurker repped this.
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in Minnesota. I'm not sure if I've spent this much time outside in near 0F and sub -10F wind chills before, without a heavy jacket, and a full face mask. I know one of the US media reporters said it was being asked if the players could wear neck gaiters.

10. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Game-time temperature in Edmonton on November 16, 2021 was around -10° C.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking around -17C air temp and a -25C wind chill temp during the game.

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports that El Salvador are threatening to refuse to play against Canada tonight due to various things including a lack of bonuses paid. But now it sounds like game is on. Football politics through media.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for entertaining my curiosity.

On the first part. I get that a ref would be doing something very unorthodox to call the foul but the fact that people were more worried about the attacker's health than a foul shouldn't be the deciding factor should it?

On the second part, is there any excuse for #5 kicking out there? He got nowhere near the ball and I think his kick caused the hard tumble. I don't expect the ref to catch it live but I thought the VAR might with the stoppage while Arriola recovered his wits.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner was asked to remove the QB hand pouch in the 2nd minute.

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not asked...told!:D

PH

Mi3ke repped this.
  16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five fouls in six minutes.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn’t going to go well.

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god for the early goal because I think the ball was in play for maybe 25% of that 7 minutes.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  19. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Hoping Honduras gets another attack, I don't think US keeper is too distinct from outfielders, based on one lightning peek.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was stupid. First of all the reports were that the U.S. had gotten permission for the keepers to wear it. Second, even if that wasn't true, its not like he strapped it on at the opening whistle. Why not just tell him he has to get rid of it before you start the game?

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the elbow to Pepi’s nose? Probably only yellow if actually called, I suppose…

22. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Wait, referees are supposed to inspect players’ equipment before the game? Who knew?

He’d also want to US to change undershirts.

frankieboylampard and JasonMa repped this.
  23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Nation always this vocal after every foul?

24. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Ok now I got it, GK is in the same blue as what you see on field players from behind. Surely there was another paste-bait color available.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tactics from Honduras around fouling are so transparent.

They foul—charges from behind and hacks—hard. So hard and so obviously that it makes Nation think twice and become reluctant to call the softer fouls they are also committing.

Meanwhile they are going down like they’ve been shot when the US fouls them or comes close to fouling them. And they then get in Nation’s ear about it, trying to create the impression in his mind that the fouling is even.

It seems like it works. I wouldn’t be shocked if the foul count ends up being about even.