CONCACAF WCQ Appointments [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 9, 2021.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borjean holds onto the ball for 11 seconds. No call.

2. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That only gets called in Canada v USA games when Abby Wambach is telling the ref to call it. :)

3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, we weren’t scoring if Borjean held the ball for a second. Just an abysmal US performance.

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama with the first awarded pk from VAR.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the US forum, lots of whining about Cesar Ramos.

6. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    On the US forum, there's always a lot of whining about everything.....most people seem to think that just because we have a few players on Champion's League clubs, we should beat the socks off of everybody, and any time we don't it's all Berhalter's fault. ;)

JasonMa, IASocFan, GoDawgsGo and 2 others repped this.
  7. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If the US team performed as well as Ramos did today, that would have been good enough for a result at least.

Thegreatwar, Rufusabc, JasonMa and 3 others repped this.
  8. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Why does this perturb you? The soccer world prioritizes a free flowing game over accurate timing. Euros in particular love denigrating American sports for the endless clock stoppages, and if IFAB/FIFA started it, I'm sure they would cry about the sport being "Americanized".

Any criticisms fans/pundits/teams levy against refs for not giving enough stoppage time, I just laugh. When you leave official game timing as a heavily ambiguous, subjective decision by a single person, then deal with the consequences. All these games have a 4th official. Could easily have him stand there starting and stopping a stopwatch to accurately track all the time lost with balls OOP, subs, injuries, recording cards, fouls, etc. and give each game the 10-12 minutes of stoppage time that would be the reality of time each game loses. But the game doesn't want that.

AremRed repped this.
  9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Law 5 says the referee is to add stoppage time for time lost due to various items. Referees now have smartwatches and apps to accurately record time lost. By the way, I recorded stoppage time for subs, injuries, and time wasting. I didn’t record for ball OOP, because the Laws do not say to record for that.

What other laws should we ignore? I accurately account for and add the correct amount of stoppage time in grassroots games I work when allowed to do so. The least we can expect is for FIFA referees to do the same.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But I don't think you can be uspet about it being a CONCACAF thing--seems pretty consistent in the game across the spectrum that added time past 4 or 5 minutes is always short changed. Whether it should be or not is a separate question, but of the many things that can be blamed on CONCACAF, this isn't one of them.

IASocFan and AremRed repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the issue - it shouldn't be at that level. You have fourth officials who can track stoppage time. Nearly every referee at that level has a smartwatch that (unless it's a Polar, which doesn't have any sort of special soccer timing app) can record stoppage time at the push of a button. I know you and I both use the same Garmin timing app since we talk about it a lot on various forums. :)

I know it isn't a CONCACAF thing - it's a soccer thing. Like I said, it wasn't going to make a difference yesterday. Whether Ramos added 5 minutes, 9 minutes, 59 minutes, or 95 minutes, the US wasn't scoring a goal yesterday. I just feel like referees need to do a better job of accurately playing the full amount of added time as dictated by the Laws.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But obviously FIFA, for better or worse, doesn't agree with you. (And I'm sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with TV time slots.:rolleyes:)

13. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is where globally there are starting to be changes b/c of VAR. I agree that in this game it wasn't an issue. The US was opened up, and had there been more time added, Canada only would have scored again. But it will be interesting in the WC when you start to see ten minutes of extra time added to games. Like I said, that's already happened in some games, but not yet on a global stage.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  14. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    i have watched this clip three times and can’t even locate the potential foul you are referring to. with that said my answer is no.

the more interesting refereeing discussion for me is whether he was offside! Would have been a close one fo adjudicate had the ball ended up in the net.

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the answer, YouTube is probably better for evaluation.

I can see #5 kick him in the leg at 6:41 I really think it's why Arriola landed so hard. Not sure if it also threw off the shot.

fischietto repped this.
  17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I watched the clip from minute 6:40 - 6:45ish is my moment of truth for me. It’s very glancing contact. Negligible at best. I don’t think it rises to the level of careless. The player goes up and makes contact but there was nowhere near enough force. The other angle from behind the goal makes it look more deceptive. Especially slowed down or frame by frame.

fischietto and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  18. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Wow, a very big game coming up for Drew Fischer then! I guess his performance in El Salvador vs. Mexico was assessed as a good one.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so was Barton pulled from Mexico-Panama?

Relative to the above about VARs, confirming Ford was on Honduras/Canada. Ford is also VAR for Fischer tomorrow night in Mexico. And Penso is with Villarreal.

So it's 6/6 FMF/PRO, as one might expect. Interestingly, Escobedo was assigned as VAR to Marrufo, before the apparent change. So that was one case where the was a cross FMF/PRO assignment. FMF is reporting that Escobedo is swapped out for Ayala now that Ortiz is the referee.

Also, Marrufo's crew was F. Anderson/Nesbitt/T.Penso, for what it's worth.

frankieboylampard and IASocFan repped this.
  20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this confirmed? Because Panama's next two games are probably the two biggest of the entire cycle if you borrow the playoff/ qualification leverage idea that we see in the nfl.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

https://www.concacaf.com/es/elimina...ticias/mexico-y-ee-uu-buscaran-ganar-en-casa/

Oddly, CONCACAF is still saying Marrufo is on his match. So you've got to assume something is wrong here. But it seems as if either the Barton information was wrong (which I doubt), he also had an injury, or CONCACAF has made a tactical swap after looking ahead to MD 12-14. If you presume Escobar has Mexico-USA, Martinez can have Costa Rica-Canada and that would leave Barton for Panama-Honduras. If Barton did Mexico-Panama, he'd be looking at Panama back-to-back, which CONCACAF has avoided so far.

Of course, I type that all out and realize there's really no reason Fischer couldn't have Panama-Honduras, either. Unless CONCACAF is trying to plan ahead and not use any referees on consequential matches from teams still in contention for the final three MDs?

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. You mean MD 11 (tomorrow) and MD 13, right? Looking at it now, this might all be about planning to have Barton on US-Panama. THAT makes a lot of sense. You can't give it to Escobar if he has Mexico-USA.

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right I was thinking the US played Panama first in the next window but it's Mexico isn't it?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think if you start mapping out things for the final three matchdays, you need Escobar on Mexico-USA and then either Barton or Martinez on USA-Panama. So, yeah, this could be about penciling in Barton for that match. Admittedly, pure speculation on my part.

Panama-Canada and Costa Rica-USA are going to be VERY challenging to assign. Do you put Mexican referees there and hope/assume they are qualified before MD 14? I guess that's the best bet if you're sticking within CONCACAF. Otherwise, maybe Escobar pulls double duty for one of them and then ????. Could be a big match for a Jamaican referee is in the cards. Or Martinez doubling up, too.

25. Fanison

Fanison Member

May 8, 2012
    The referee remains Barton, no changes have been reported for this match. Actually Fischer was the initial designation, but it was replaced by Barton some time ago. That's the information I have, let's wait for the match to find out who will be there.

Mikael_Referee and MassachusettsRef repped this.