Concacaf Champions League

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by MoRado, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexican Semifinales:
    Santos vs. Monterrey
    Cruz Azul vs. San Luis

The top 2 favorites to win the Concacaf champions league will come from these games. the favorites to advance in bold. Cruz azul simply by history is a big club in Mexico and Concacaf. And Santos Laguna on paper have the most talented starting 11 in Mexico. the are a super club. i say watch out with San Luis though.

2. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much any of these 4 could totally walk away with it, much more likely than Atlante. Thing is, by the time the Champions League final comes around, any of them could be struggling like Atlante did in the Champions Cup and this Clausura. It's about as awesome a 4 as I could imagine from these... since Santos got Monterrey and not Chivas. But yeah, The winner of the Champions League is likely to be one of these four or Pumas.

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I think Monterry is gonna eliminate Santos

4. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree, with what Monterrey display against my rebaño and what santos displayed against Necaxa i find it more likely Monterrey taking the title than any other.

5. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Just finished reading through this monster thread:cool: Is the new Canadian league that bad that its clubs aren't even allowed to compete against Toronto FC and the 2 USL teams for a tournament spot? If its way below the level of the USL(as everyone here seems to claim,) that would make it PDL level or worse.

One more thing, CONMEBOL and UEFA have been around for over a hundred years, which is really the only thing they have over us. Costa Rica has one of the oldest footballing cultures in CONCACAF, giving us an advantage(despite our size) over the rest of CONCACAF. Mexico, the US, Panama and Canada have grown up very quickly in a short amount of time(faster than other Confederations like Asia and Africa) and in the near future our best clubs will be able to compete with(although they won't be on par with or better than) the best CONMEBOL clubs, the same way CONCACAF teams have gotten favorable results against national teams from CONMEBOL and elsewhere.

I say(for now at least) fuck the rest of the world and concentrate and improving ourselves. Fuck Jack Warner too.

6. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak to the overall level of the league, but two of the teams are the reserve sides for Toronto and Montreal.

7. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    The Concacaf Champions League is one of how many club tournaments held by Concacaf?

1. Concacaf Champions League
    2. Superliga

any others?

8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

http://www.concacaf.com/competition.aspx

According to Concacaf themselves, they run:

1. Regional men's and women's World Cup and Olympic qualifying tournaments
    2. Men's and women's Gold Cup
    3. Champions League
    4. Men's and women's U-17 and U-20 championships
    5. Beach soccer and futsal championships
    6. The Pan-American Games and the CAC Games

The Superliga in't run by CONCACAF, it's run by the leagues. Other than the Champions League, CONCACAF mostly deals with national team games of one sort or another.

9. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.concacaf.com/competition.aspx
    look to the right

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i agree with what your saying and agree it could happen with san luis, but unlike san luis and atlante, Cruz Azul is big club and I think it will be harder for them to struggle in the CCL even if they are struggling in the league.

11. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    LOL How does the Superlider in Mexico never seem to be able to win the whole damn thing?! :D

It's almost like a curse.

12. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Toluca and Pachuca have done it

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I just saw the highlights of Cruz Azul vs Chiapas. I am surprised Chiapas didn't get banned after that brawl.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with that assessment. If Cruz Azul gets past San Luis, they and Pumas will be the favorites to win the tournament despite how they do domestically. Both are proven successes, especially Cruz Azul. I'm better CONCACAF is BUMMED that Chivas didn't qualify.

15. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At least there are three years in which Canadian teams can try to prove themselves in the CCL, before the CSA can try to re-negotiate the qualification criteria.

Since the Open Canada Cup is now gone, I hope that once the three years are up, there can be at least one berth for a team other than the big three in the qualifying tournament - but that depends on CONCACAF's say-so.

On the other hand, the US Open Cup winner can go to the CCL, so a precedent exists for this kind of thing.

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 3 team tourney is silly and exclusionary.

But having Toronto play their own reserves would be even sillier.

17. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has been asked before but 27 pages is just ridiculous....

Does anyone know who will be televising the CCL?

I mean if ESPN is showing the Euro Champions League can we at least get our own on like ESPN Classic at 2am?

I'm sure FSC and HDNet will play a part if not but most people don't have either of those channels let alone both...

So any news on that? Thanks.

18. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think being exclusionary is the desired effect. After Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal there is a very significant gap in level of play that the teams in Canada play in. Concacaf was who decided what teams would be able to qualify for the Champions League, not the CSA. So from that you can infer that they are protecting the integrity of the new tournamen by not allowing sh*t teams in.

Shall we call the Mexican Federation exclusionary for not allowing anyone from outside their top division to be able to qualify for the champions league?

19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Mexico doesn't have a "cup", no. If they did, yes.

Canada should continue to use the Canada Cup as it's CCL qualifier and open it up to all of the teams in the CSL that are not a reserve side.

As far as I'm concerned, every professional level team playing in a Concacaf nation (or any FIFA nation for that matter) should have a chance (however remote) of going all the way to the Club World Cup.

20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canadian Soccer League teams are semi-pro. The three teams that are playing for the Canadian berth are the only fully professional teams in the country. FWIW.

21. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the US: Fox Soccer Channel in English and the Univision family (Univision, Telefutura, Galavision) in Spanish. Not all games will necessarily be televised though.

22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know that. Thanks for the correction.

23. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I want to take this time and apologize to all MLS fans for any comments I had just made in the past 3 months. I will be supporting the Galaxy to see if they can actually bring Beckam to San Jose.

I just learned the real culprit who came up with this bullshit CCL and the allocations of slots is.

24. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Cruz Azul is now qualified. They won today so they're in the final.

25. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Finally. Tenemos cuentas pendientes con el Cruz Azul.