CONCACAF Champions League group set

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SideshowBob, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With some games final now, we have the full group set for DCU: In addition to Saprissa, we have Cruz Azul from Mexico and Marathon from Honduras. By far the toughest group (especially with the upsets in other groups).

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cruz Azul looked scary last night.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    The schedule sets up well for United.

First match at home to Saprissa and then away to Marathon.

If they can somehow get 6 points from those two matches, they can go a long way towards advancing.

It's gonna be hellatough though. As mentioned before, this by far is the toughest group.

4. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt bad for hankook verdes last night. I have to say that I am excited about this tournament. I really like getting to know the clubs outside the mls...it is boring playing the same old teams over and over again.

This is by far the toughest group.

5. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    According to the highlights from Contacto Deportivo, Marathon was missing several important players as the Honduran NT was already in training camp (remember Mario Guerrero was called in but the Catrachos changed their mind when DC said he would play in the Open Cup final first). And Marathon also beat a team from a relatively good league (Metapan from El Salvador).

6. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mario Guerrero? I thought he was Ivan?

7. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland
    Thats his brother. He was a guest player last night:D

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    hope for the best, expect the worst :D

9. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    He's often referred to as Mario Ivan Guerrero on Spanish language TV and I forget which names he goes by on DC's roster.

Maybe we can rotate his name to confuse people like the Nigerians did with their players in the Olympics or like the Korean Nats have done!

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I say we sign his twin brother right away

11. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOh, is he like a Tomax/Xamot kind of twin, with a right foot like his brother's left?

12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Here's our schedule from this Saturday through the end of October - Enjoy the rest after this Saturday's game - It comes down to a game every 3-5 days

09/06 - Saturday @San Jose 10:00 p.m.
    09/13 - Saturday FC Dallas 7:30 p.m.
    09/16 - Tuesday Saprissa # 8:00 p.m.
    09/20 - Saturday @ LA Galaxy 11:00 p.m.
    09/24 - Wedn @ Marathon # 10:00 p.m.
    09/28 - Sunday @ FC Dallas 3:00 p.m.
    10/01 - Wedn Cruz Azul # 8:00 p.m.
    10/04 - Saturday Chivas USA 7:30 p.m.
    10/09 - Thursday @ Saprissa # 10:00 p.m.
    10/12 - Sunday @ Houston 7:00 p.m.
    10/16 - Thursday NE Rev 7:30 p.m.
    10/21 - Tuesday @ Cruz Azul # 10:00 p.m.
    10/26 - Sunday @ Col Crew 5:00 p.m.
    10/29 - Wedn CD Marathon # 8:00 p.m.

As for Tickets - I don't know about what "Events" are left in the Full Season or Plan B tickets, but Plan A still has "Event E" - I assume that will be for one of the HOME CCL games

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I hope we set our priorities to the CCL more so after the humiliaiting defeats over chivas and NE.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not, actually. I don't mean to suggest that we'll tank the CCL games -- I hope we won't, and I don't think we will. But Tommy's statements after the USOC Final suggest strongly that the principal goal from here on out is qualifying for playoffs and making the best run at MLS Cup possible, and everything else will be secondary to that.

15. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Wow, I didn't realize how almost all our remaining games are against the Western conference. I take that as good news. Still it will be quite the balancing act in fielding teams for league games and CCL group matches that will be competitive.

16. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is and it isn't. On one hand, East >> West this year, so you'd think it'd be good for us as far as accumulating points are concerned. OTOH, if we win and our competitors in the East win, we haven't made up any ground or created any separation; playing East teams makes it easier to affect our place in the standings.

I should also mention that despite the East's phenomenal record overall against the West this year, we're only 4-4 against West teams.

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    hmm..... i dunno. I disagree with this, but whatever. I want us to do well in both, hopefully TS can find a good time when to rest players in both games. I hope he goes Full Throttle vs. Saprissa and Cruz Azul, which i should execpt him to, and rest some key players that would need it during some MLS games that wont pose too much of a difficulty with them in, like say emilio(who is out next game right?), and Jaime who need it. Or say Martinez cause hes got some age to him.

What do you guys think?

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emilio will be out because of the groin injury. Namoff will be out for yellow card accumulation.

19. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I like Ivan Guerrero's quote in the Behind the Badge interview: ...we have to win everything...

Unrealistic, but I like the attitude.

Based upon Soehn's comments, I tend to agree that MLS Cup is the top priority, yet subordinating the CCL seems to fly in the face of our FO's long-standing policy of pushing for international success.

I just don't know.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I am all for International Games, as i dont put too much importance on MLS cups even though... we are the one team with the most. My mentality is, the real winner is the SS cup winner, MLS cup is just the winner of a round robin tournament. I wish it oculd be turned around.

With that said, i want us to win an MLS cup, but i want us to succeed more so internationally vs. Mexican and Costa Rican sides in our "group of death'", why? Because DC United is the brand that will be bigger than MLS one day(maybe im pushing it with this :p), and people from all over the world will name them first before any other MLS club, especially in South America where our name will be respected along side the big clubs of mexico.

21. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Much as I would like to see us do well internationally, I think it's unrealistic this year with the fixture congestion and the injuries to make a big push in this tournament. I say be professional, put in a performance worthy of the shirt, but let's not kill ourselves over this one this year. Then in the offseason get them to kill that stupid Superliga (or move it or disinvite us or something) and have them make space on our calendar next year for CCL the way they did this year for SL. Then we can kick ass.

22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I think we can both do well in the CCL and get ready for the MLS playoffs - The key is to win our first two CCL games - First at HOME vs Saprissa and then away at Marathon - After that look around and see what you have to do to qualify in the group and be in good shape in the East - That probably means put a real good effort against Cruz Azul at HOME but be willing to settle for a Tie - I would think that 3 wins (both games vs Marathon, and Home vs Saprissa) gives us 9 points and in a competitive position for 2nd place - (Unfortunately, Marathon at HOME will be our last game, AFTER our last regular MLS game vs Columbus, and we'll have to spare some starters to be ready for that must win) - Add two ties vs Cruz Azul away and Saprissa away and we've done what we have to do in the CCL: Qualify for next spring - If we're geared towards International Games, then we should be serious about them

And while not being in SuperLiga will help us next Summer, it will only make the Summer less congested - The regular MLS schedule will be the same as it is this Fall and every other year, and the CCL will be in the Fall as well - The only thing they could do to help is start it two weeks earlier and space out the games more

23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as SUM/MLS get the money for SL while Jack Warner gets the money for CCL, this won't happen.

24. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Winning the Supporters' Shield or MLS Cup would be well worth the effort...

...but getting out of a group which has the most successful non-Mexican team in CONCACAF club competitions, as well as a team which has not only won the Champions' Cup five times, but is also the only Mexican side to make it to the finals of the Copa Libertadores - in a series they only lost on penalties - that will get the kind of attention that United, and MLS, need to start earning in CONCACAF and beyond.

Especially if they can do well in the spring and actually win the thing!

So, even though it's the group of death, and it's likely that Saprissa and Cruz Azul may well be too much for an overstretched D.C. to handle, I for one would hope that the Champions League would be the club's number one priority.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, i hope they can come to some agreement to give us free dates to just focus on the CCL next season. If so, then next year we'll go in with our guns ready.
    All i know is its going to be a looooong and strenius(sp) sept. and Oct. for me...

Completely agree. We are in the "Group of Death" with all very good teams that have a good history and have won the Concacaf Championship at least once, so i garuntee you the whole concacaf and some south american countries will be watching our group the most. Cruz Azul also has a very strong roster, with very good players.