CONCACAF Champions League fail

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Rapids burgundy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Rapids burgundy

Oct 12, 2011
    Littleton
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a huge Rapids supporter but honestly disgusted with the lack of care for this tournament from the front office, not the players.

The Rapids WENT into the CCL representing the MLS as a champion, played backups(Ceus played almost all the games). Even though this has become sort of a trend in the MLS, LA played all their starters and successfully advanced through a tough group.

It comes down the the front office, not giving a shit about marketing games(including US open cup) outside of regular season games. If you are playing Santos Laguna at home, wouldn't it make sense to play your starting 11 and market the game? I saw full sections of a sea of green, a couple for rapids supporters, and empty seating. Have some ********ing pride and heart that you are representing this league and play for a win. No, Ceus isn't horrible but 4 goals? At one point, the Rapids website took the last Santos game off the visible schedule when it was the most important game of the season.

Isidro Metepan advances through to the next round ahead of Colorado. Isidro Metepan is a JOKE. They played all there starters at Colorado and lost to a Rapids b team 3-2. But they still advance.

to rapids front office: you have won the MLS cup, work towards a higher goal and play to win CCL games. Market CCL games with MLS season ticket packages to attract more fans.The NBA, NHL, NFL etc has championships that are the best in the world. The MLS cup is a fisher price trophy compared to most cups out of the country. If the MLS cup is the only record worth striving for, whats the point?

2. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Well, I can't quite agree with the "what's the point" closing, but do agree strongly with the rest of your post.

3. Rapids burgundy

Oct 12, 2011
    Littleton
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the point?

Yeah i'm mainly implying that MLS teams are starting to push themselves competitively against respective Mexican/central american teams. The Rapids aren't doing jack shit in these competitions. The more that MLS teams (such as Real Salt lake, LA etc.) strive in this competition and Colorado continues to flop, they are falling behind in the MLS and the world..
    Which brings me to my first point, if we aren't being competitive what is the point? The RSL rivalry will go OUT THE WINDOW, the club will fall behind which will effect there future position in the league..

This tournament is more important than the lack of credit it's recieving from this organization.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last 2 years the only result in a Rocky Mountain Cup match was a gift from the officials by not calling offside. Otherwise the teams have been dead even (and I'd say that Colorado outplayed FSL in both games in 2010). Seems pretty competitive to me.

5. Rapids burgundy

Oct 12, 2011
    Littleton
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats all fine and dandy, but I still don't see one result in two years. Instead I purchase tickets to watch CO play to a boring 0-0 draw. MLS clubs are catching onto a must-needed trend in American soccer. Regardless of what your opinion is on the rivalry, Colorado will still fall behind.. You can FSL all you want, This team will turn into a TFC, or a CDC(Chivas US) real quick

6. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see a team deep enough to compete for both. I think we need to get some retirements going before that can happen.

7. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Rapids burgundy:

From your mouth to Plush/Smith ears...er...wait a sec...they have too much shvte in their ears to hear having heads firmly implanted in their arse. Sorry...

8. Rapids burgundy

Oct 12, 2011
    Littleton
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOOHH because the MLS season/non European calender is so grueling!? Less than half the games of any foreign league. I'm tired of excuse after excuse, for some MLS teams including the Rapids, It's time to nut up

btw LA plays their starters, RSL played their starters in last years CCL cup run and some other teams so in response to what you said, their are teams including Colroado that are deep enough. There is just a lack of interest/care from this organization to give two shits.

9. Rapids burgundy

Oct 12, 2011
    Littleton
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hehe it's ok they are professionals right? I mean what do I know, i'm just an un-knowledgeable student who pays attention to the game of soccer.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than half? Tomorrow's game will be the 42nd competitive game the Rapids play this year. What teams play 85 competitive games?

FSL played their starters last year and where did it get them? A first-round playoff knockout while the Rapids won MLS Cup. That's the point some have made, it's hard to be deep enough to do well at both. Either you focus on one at the expense of the other, or you hope to do just good enough in both.

Now I think the Rapids could have done better in just doing well enough in both (mainly that home Real Espana game, which turned out to be the difference) but the Rapids, without a bigger budget, aren't deep enough to compete for th Shield in the league and the group stage of the CCL. I don't think it's a coincidence that Seattle and LA finished 1-2 and got through the CCL stage and have 2 of the larger salaries in the league, and TFC got through the group stage after they brought in some DPs but had already given up on the league season. The two MLS teams that didn't get through the CCL group stage were the two without DPs and who were fighting to clinch a playoff spot until the last couple of weeks of the season.

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh we have a salary cap unlike Europe and I don't think anyone will say we are as deep as Seattle, LA or RSL. We spend all the available money but too much of it for our top XI. You really think Wells Thompson would be a starter on those teams?

12. Rapids burgundy

Oct 12, 2011
    Littleton
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think alot of of will agree to disagree. But whats done is done, i'd like to see if Colorado can make another run in the CCL in the future and play for the win.

But right now i'm focused on Sporting KC and this years MLS cup run. I'll have the offseason to piss and moan about the CCL

Cheers