CONCACAF BLUES - Post WC Discussion

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by dmike, Jun 25, 2006.

1. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So simply put the CONCACAF crashed at this WC.

T&T was the only team that actually showed up and played 2 terrific games

Mexico showed up for one game with a dose of another 2nd rd exit

US showed up for one game and looked AWFUL in the other 2

CR showed up for none

Cause?? All teams have the excuse about bad coaching, bad luck, players etc

I don't want this turning into an excuse thread. Just wanna hear everyones opinion what the CONCACAF still lacks.

Coaches?
    SuperStar Players?
    More player in top EU clubs?
    Better club competition amongts each other?

If I had to pick one I would still go with players in atleast middle tier to top tier EU clubs. No nation has a core of players playing yearly in tough leagues and competition. One or two players just can't cut it in my opinion.

2. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We took arguebly the best team in the world to overtime and outplayed them for over 50 percent of the match. We are among the top 16 teams in the world yet again. but the goal was to be among the top 8

3. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico did fine; if you're looking for an increase in quality across the board; well that comes from more intense competition. There's a reason why Mexican club teams, for example, are always seeking out Libertadores play, and not CONCACAF Champions' Cup play. Well, a reason besides money.

That reason is the opportunity to get better. Competition. That comes, at that level, in part, from really building an authentic set of tournaments. "Guest teams" in the Gold Cup? All that means is that two CONCACAF nations don't get a chance to get better. Underfunded Champions' Cup? Good for certain officials pockets (how much moey in television rights fees does CONCACAF bring in through it events, anyway? There's a REASON no of us knows the answer...), bad for competition. No transparency in CONCACAF proceedings? Limited development.

New leadership stripping away the political, oversight-lacking structures of CONCACAF and openly declaring themselves to the resolution of all those matters is the first step.

4. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mel, Im talking about how every WC is a broken record for the CONCACAF.

We can't get over the hill no matter what.

Mexico reached the 2nd rd again? what is new?

Another inconsistent performance by the US? what is new?

The 3rd seeded CONCACAF team crashes out. What is new?

Its the same thing over and over and over.

We never had a finalist

We never even had a semifnalist

What makes us think we will have any in the next 20yrs??

Are we really gonna glorify our next round of youth talent thats coming up as the saviors when other countries a) already have them ready b) have a vass ammount of players in top youth academys ready to make their move c) already playing

5. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did that in 1998 vs Germany and you did that vs Italy in 2002. Sooner or later this has to get tiresome jared.

6. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yes that is why mentioned the goal was to be among the top 8 not 16

7. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I thought mexico's goal was to win the wC jared :p

8. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    morado, your in no condition to talk trash:p

9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    blow me jared, you are right :(, i'll shut up... for a few days

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    will you stop with the homo crap:rolleyes::D :p

11. Arwel

Arwel New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Crewe, UK
    Well, the T&T players at least will be happy - they've each just been presented with TT$1 million (admittedly only about US$160,000, and only a quarter of it is actually cash), plus the country's second-highest honour, the Chaconia Medal in gold.

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    hahahha, now you don't like it? just putting some fun into our sad lives after the WC

13. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    why are they happy ?
    1 point
    0 goals
    eliminated in first round
    last in the group

I know they didn't finish last as everybody expected (we won that award), but still, i wouldn't be that proud of my team.

14. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    mexicans are sad. the ticos are nowhere to be found

15. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the US were semi-finalists in the very first WC, losingto Argentina 6-1, with our very own Brown scoring in the 89th minute to salvage some pride... :)

My opinion is that, if you're going to keep FIFA and its shape around, the US and Mexico really need to beg for the reduction of confederations from 6...to 4. Asia and Oceania need to combine, and the Americas need to combine; only by regularly having to deal with the Argentinas, Ecuadors and Brazils of the world, at the club, Copa America, and WC qualifying levels will those strviing to get better actually do so.

That, all combined with the ousting of "leadership" in my previous post.

From an internal perspective, the US needs to re0invent their entire academy structure, towards the end of NOT isolating these kids, but engaging them in terms of having to play the best everyday. Somehow. How, I don't yet know.

16. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players deserve it; they played with the most consistent heart of any CONCACAF team in the tournament, save Mexico, who was about on par with the Soca.

17. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the consistency though? Both the USA and Mexico are good enough to test the top teams from time to time. Hell, we nearly made the last 4 in Korea, but neither team is consistent.

The USA just blew ass all over the place, but Mexico sucked against the Portuguese reserves, played mighty Angola to a nil-nil draw, and took 75 minutes to finally put a poor Iranian side away. Apart from an inspired 120 minutes against Argentina, Mexico were pretty ordinary too. Of course the Americans were even worse but that's another topic.

To answer the question. CONCACAF is at a crossroads. The region is not a challenge for either the USA or Mexico, and both can send out reserve sides and qualify for the hex. Even during the Hex there are only a couple of matches that bother either nation. Other teams in the Hex might upset the USA or Mexico from time to time, but neither nation are really ever troubled.

Even if the USA took 6 points off of Mexico in the hex or vice-versa, both would still qualify easily, so there is no real pressure even in those matches. Hell look at the USA. 7-1 in the Hex (loss away to Mexico) and walking to the World Cup with ease. Mexico doing the same (6-1-1, loss to the USA and fluke draw in Panama).

We just don't play enough competitive matches, and the USA and Mexico are turning qualifying into a joke. The only points the Americans dropped the entire hex were away to Mexico, away to Guatamela with the Mickey Mouse reserve side, and away to Costa Rica with the same Mickey Mouse reserve side.

I don't know the solution, but both the USA and Mexico are clearly not going to achieve world-class potential in this region.

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    mexico is consistant. 4 times rd of 16 in a row. the u.s. finished last in 98 and near the bottom this time around

19. Milk!

Milk! Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Mexico's crappy games against Angola and Portugal would be considered "heroic" if the U.S. was in their shoes.

20. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico has a strong domestic league. All that is left is sending more players to ply their trade in Europe. The world's best players compete in Europe. It doesn't take a genius to figure out competing with the best improves your overall play.

US is working on its domestic league. They have more Europe based players than Mexico. But, the issue is talent. However, I foresee the talent shortage to be filled in the near future.

21. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is also true; there is no doubt in my mind an anti USA MNT bias, that interestingly enough does not seem to bleed over into any other national side (u-17, WNT, etc.).

22. Dantezo

Dantezo Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Jeonju, S. Korea
    I agree with you. Combining Concacaf with Conmebol would really benefit the US and our region. We need better competition, and S America would provide that. It is no longer good enough to compete among ourselves.

Jared, look at the bigger picture. Second round is no big deal, and Mexico only made it further when they played in Mexico – that’s not good enough. Concacaf needs to make it to the Quarterfinals and beyond more consistently and be very competitive against European and S American teams at the world cup stage.

23. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations for missing the point entirely and turning this into USA-Mexico, which it wasn't. By the way, we beat Portugal last time we played them in the World Cup, not losing to their reserve team.

But anyway, we have plenty of threads for that, this was about CONCACAF, and clearly the USA and Mexico are the only teams keeping this region from being a glorified Oceania. The region is a joke for both teams.

24. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I am talking about! Who gives a shit about 2nd round, or playing Argentina tough, or playing Germany tough. The USA and Mexico need to develop to a stage where we are on level footing with these teams, not just hoping we play our best and steal a result. CONCACAF is killing both nations right now, but I admit I don't know what the solution is.

25. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really tough to find a solution. Right now in the US fans mind the main priority should be more participations in tournaments (Copa America,Confed,etc) and MLS to improve the team in consistent WC performances.

Mexico on the other hand has a better rounded league and involved in more Copa Americas, Libertadores, Confed Cup etc. over the past 10+ yrs than the US and they still can't escape the 2nd rd woes.