Computer problem

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Bluto11, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If you know anything about computers let me know what you think I should do or what needs to be done:

well, my computer at home is ********ed. I get some message saying the Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T is BAD backup and replace. Press F1 to resume. Its been happening for three weeks or so and if I hit F1 my computer works fine. Well I did an error check (which took 7 horus!!) and I finally got to the desktop and it just exited and told me that some crucial process or thread crucial to the operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

now when I turn it on it asks me to Reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Basically, its ********ed and I need my buddy to fix it. I think I just need a new hard drive, because he salvaged this one from my old computer and it was crappy to begin with.

this just pisses me off

anyways, is there anyway to fix it without buying anything. Should I just have my friend, who knows comptuers, fix it? or will I be able to

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have anything on that drive that you can't live without? Since you stated the drive was crappy, get a new hard drive, install your OS of choice, then take your old hard drive and make it a slave to your new one. This way it will show up as a drive letter under my computer and you can access the drive and pull any files that you want to keep.

3. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    good call. I don't have anything super important on it. just some papers I had written in college and games and crap. I have two hard drives one has the OS and the other is a slave with all my Mp3s

edit: if anyone is good with computers, does it just sound like my hard drive is messed up and the rest (motherboard, RAM, etc.) is ok?

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMART is a hard drive issue. It's a nice tool that gives you advance warning of an impending failure. If you wanted to avoid data loss, you should have replaced it as soon as it started giving you failure messages.

It's hosed now - toss the hard drive in a trash bin and buy a new one.

5. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    You might still be able to rescue stuff off it per what Scarecrow advised. But yeah, it's toast. If and when you get your data off it in slave mode, trash it.

BTW, taking old HD's apart is fun! Great magnets and disk platters make cool geek sun chimes.

6. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    backup backup backup. i love when someone's harddrive starts making clicking noise but i hate when it happens to me

7. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for the info.

i'm clueless when it comes to computers. My friend looked at it and already took any files I wanted from it and put those on one of his while he waits for my new hard drive to arrive in the mail. Good thing I didn't have anything important on there!!