Complete WC Tournament prediction

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keller4president, Apr 14, 2006.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I'd like to see fellow BS posters' predictions for how the entire WC tournament will play out...i.e. who will finish in the top 2 in each group and how the single-elimination tournament will play out.

Here's my fantasy outcome:

Group A:
    1Poland
    2Germany
    3Costa Rica
    4Ecuador

Notes: Germany, though playing at home, is just not as good as it used to be. I think Poland is the surprise squad here and comes out on top. Ecuador and Costa Rica won't have enough firepower.

Group B:
    1England
    2Sweden
    3Paraguay
    4Trinidad and Tobago

Notes: England better win this group. Toss up between Paraguay and Sweden, but i'll give this one to the swedes.

Group C:
    1Netherlands
    2Argentina
    3Cote D’Ivoire
    4Serbia and Montenegro

Notes: The dutch are tremendous. So are the argentines. I'll give this to the orange on goal differential.

Group D:
    1Portugal
    2Iran
    3Mexico
    4Angola

Notes: Shocker of the tournament: Mexico falls out in group play. With their trademark cockiness they underestimate the Iranians who come up with an early lead and hold on for victory. Portugal takes the group under leadership of C. Ronaldo.

Group E:
    1USA
    2Italy
    3Czech Republic
    4Ghana

Notes: That's right, the US somehow wins this group with wins over czechs and ghana and a draw with italy. Italy beats czechs in their head to head match-up.

Group F:
    1Croatia
    2Brazil
    3Australia
    4Japan

Notes: Second shocker: Brazil underestimates very tough Croatians who win the opening match. Brazil recovers in time to take second place.

Group G:
    1Switzerland
    2France
    3Korea Republic
    4Togo

Notes: France just sucks nowadays. Swiss tied them twice in qualifying, and probably win this time around.

Group H:
    1Spain
    2Ukraine
    3Tunisia
    4Saudi Arabia

Notes: Weakest group produces spain and ukraine. wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine takes this group under Shevchenko.

Round of 16:

Poland v. Sweden
    [Sweden wins easily.]
    Netherlands v. Iran
    [Netherlands - no brainer.]

USA v. Brazil
    [Amazing match goes to penalties where Keller stones Ronaldo and Dempsey scores winning penalty.]
    Switzerland v. Ukraine
    [Upset: Shevchenko magic continues and leads team over swiss.]

England vs. Germany
    [Home team goes down to the powerful english squad. Goal from Beckham on a free kick.]
    Portugal v. Argentina
    [Argentines too much for portuguese...goals for messi and crespo.]

Croatia v. Italy
    [Italians take down suprise croatians in penalties.]
    Spain v. France
    [Spanish come out ahead of aged French team.]

Quarterfinals:

Sweden v. Netherlands
    [Tough match goes to Dutch again. The orange keep rolling...]
    USA v. Ukraine
    [Arena game plans brilliantly, onweyu shuts down Andriy, and Donovan scores winning goal.]
    England v. Argentina
    [The requisite match for every world cup. England win again...mimicking earlier friendly with last minute goal.]
    Italy v. Spain
    [Italians are just too good, they go forward here.]

Semifinals:

Netherlands v. USA
    [Tight, tight match up. Dutch go ahead early, but Americans calm their nerves down and Reyna of all people scores a crafty goal. EJ puts in another in extra time and Americans hold on for win, going to their first final ever!]
    Italy v. England
    [Much anticipated match goes to penalties....Totti misses one and the English don't. Owen makes the clincher.]

Finals:

USA v. England
    [In this dream final, a depleted US team rounds up all the muster it can to play the English, who are desperate to win. both teams are missing players due to cards (can't see Mastroeni lasting this long) or injury (McBride is finished by now), and Ben Olsen makes the starting line-up, with Donovan and Johnson up top. Both teams start tentatively, though Convey and Dempsey make some nice runs. Game remains tied through half-time, where Arena gives rousing speech to rev up the players. Right out of the gates in the second half, EJ finds some space in the center, lets a ball fly, and beats Paul Robinson! 1-0 US! But wait, it's not over yet. English put on a full-court press and in the 87th minute get an equalizer when Owen heads one in past Keller.
    Extratime produces some back and forth, but both teams play conservatively in anticipation of Penalties. And then they come, english going first.
    1:Owen - Makes it, Donovan - Makes it.
    2: Lampard - Makes it, Dempsey - Makes it.
    3: Rooney - Makes it, Cherundolo - Makes it.
    4: Cole - Makes it, Convey - makes it.
    5: Beckham steps up to the spot. Keller waits patiently in the center. He takes a running start...fires it left...Keller dives...it's saved! And now...a suprise choice....it's Keller?!! to take the last penalty kick...every other player is spent...He takes a running start, and.....GOAL! USA WINS! USA WINS! He shoots it right down the center and robinson goes right! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! USA ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!

[Footnote: Well, that's how it happens in my dreams at least.]

2. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    You're funny. Fun read.

3. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Sounds good!

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Man, we need to increase your medication!!!

5. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I could believe it defensively for the US. We are truly world class IMO defensively when we field Dolo, Gooch, Gibbs, and Lewis.

It's the goal scoring part that will be a problem. I just don't see it happening with only McBride in form now. And, Brazil would mop the floor with us. They are ridiculously stacked. Ronaldinho vs. Reyna? Who's gonna stop Ronaldo? I'm sorry, but Ronaldo is a whole different sort of animal than Ruud van Nistelrooy and I don't think Gibbs can stop him. Too fast, too strong, too clinical.

But a fun read, thanks.

6. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Group A:
    1 Germany
    2 Costa Rica
    3 Poland
    4 Ecuador

Germany dominates, spurred on by home support. Young, exciting Costa Rica beat a sluggish Poland to claim the second spot in the group.

Group B:
    1 England
    2 Sweden
    3 Paraguay
    4 Trinidad and Tobago

England and Sweden draw, both of them beat the other two, England top the group following a Rooney-Owen goal feast against Trindad.

Group C:
    1 Argentina
    2 Netherlands
    3 Cote D’Ivoire
    4 Serbia and Montenegro

Argentina just beat Holland to top spot, chanelling the spirit of their 1978 world cup victory. Cote d'Ivoire play well, the best of the African qualifiers.

Group D:
    1 Portugal
    2 Mexico
    3 Iran
    4 Angola

Portugal and Mexico qualify comfortably, although Angola play with a great deal of pride and determination in their loss to their former colonial masters.

Group E:
    1 Italy
    2 Czech Republic
    3 USA
    4 Ghana

Italy wins the group; Czech Republic and USA draw their match, but the Czechs go through on goal difference following Milan Baros' showpiece display against Ghana.

Group F:
    1 Brazil
    2 Australia
    3 Croatia
    4 Japan

Brazil wins their match; Australia beat Croatia in their decider, bouyed by their first qualification in many years, and the hot form of Kewell and Viduka. Japan play poorly, relying too much on an aging Nakata.

Group G:
    1 France
    2 Korea Republic
    3 Switzerland
    4 Togo

France, with Henry leading the line, top the pile. Korea, still riding high after 2002, and with Park and Lee bringing EPL experience to the field, put their poor qualifying form behind them and beat the Swiss.

Group H:
    1 Spain
    2 Ukraine
    3 Tunisia
    4 Saudi Arabia

Spain and Ukraine dominate the play. Shevchenko scores 5 of Ukraine's 9 against the Saudis.

Round of 16:

1 - Germany V Sweden

Germany are too strong for the Swedes, once again carrying the home support through to a 2-0 victory.

2 - Argentina V Mexico

Mexico take Argentina to penalties after a 1-1 draw. Mexico lose their nerve, remembering Bulgaria a few years ago, and Argentina go through.

3 – Italy V Australia

Italy dominate the game, bringing the Socceroo dream to an end with a 3-1 win.

4 - France V Ukraine

Shevchenko is the only threat the Ukraine can muster against a rampant France. Henry, sensing this is his final chance for glory, scores two in a 3-0 win.

5 - England V Costa Rica

The Rooney-Owen combo works again, scoring a goal each. Wanchope gets one back for the Costa Ricans but Beckham slots home an injury time penalty when Wanchope and his 12-foot legs bring down Lampard in the box. 3-1.

6 - Portugal V Netherlands

A tough, tough game which ends 2-2. Cristiano Ronaldo is sent off for a late tackle on Robben, who dives like he's been shot by a sniper. This rattles the Portuguese, and the Dutch win on penalties.

7 - Brazil V Czech Republic

Brazil dominate, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho stealing the show, 2-0 win for the champions.

8 - Spain V Korea

Spain, remembering their defeat against the same team in 2002, are nervous again, and start badly. Korea score 2 in the first half before the Spanish wake up. They pull one back in the second half, but Korea hold on for a shock 2-1 win.

Quarterfinals:

QF1 Germany V Argentina

The Germans are now hitting their stride, and Argentina can't quite contain their stern determination. Both sides have chances, but Lehmann is outstanding, and Ballack finally breaks the deadlock late on. 1-0 to the hosts.

QF2 Italy V France

A close, free-flowing end-to-end affair which ends 0-0. Both sides hit the bar, hit the post, and Totti misses an open net. Everyone scores their penalties, including the keepers, to make it 11-11. Totti misses the Italian 12th in sudden death, and Pires fires home the winner.

QF3 England V Netherlands

England, remembering the injustice of Ronald Koeman's free-kick, and the masterpiece performance in Euro 96 bring back the ghosts of Gazza and Sheringham. Gerrard gets an early goal, Van Persie equalises, but Beckham scores a masterpiece free-kick in the final minute to make it 2-1.

QF4 Brazil V Korea

Korea give their all, but Brazil are just too strong, and run out 4-1 winners. Brazil go on, Korea go home with heads held high.

Semifinals:

Germany V France

Another close game, with the French seemingly having the flair to outplay the hosts. William Gallas scores a rare goal from midfield, but then puts it the ball through his own net as the Germans press for an equaliser. Lehmann scores the winner himself when the Germans get a late corner and Klinsmann urges him forward. 2-1, and the hosts are through to the final.

England V Brazil

England finally steps up to the plate, and tries to forget all the times the Brazilians have outplayed them. Owen puts England ahead, but goals from Ronaldo and Ronaldinho seemingly ensure that the Brazilians keep their advantage. Sol Campbell scores an injury-time equaliser to make it 2-2 and send it to penalties, but once again the English lose their nerve. Gerrard blasts the crucial penalty over the bar, and Brazil are through again.

Finals:

Germany V Brazil

Hosts v Holders. Everything is nervous, edgy, tight, with few scoring chances. Eventually, Brazil breaks the deadlock, with Kaka scoring a goal against the run of play. Germany throw everything at the Brazilians, but are exposed at the back... a quick break late in the game, and Ronaldinho chips an on-rushing Lehmann to score. 2-0 to Brazil, and they are World Champions again!

7. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    Does this thread belong on this forum?

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'd argue that it doesn't belong anywhere on BigSoccer.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    oh come on, you guys are no fun at all. If BS is about anything, it's about fans letting their dreams and hopes run rampant over logic.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You should read this

11. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    hey lastort, if you don't like this thread you don't have to read it. other people have enjoyed it and indicated as such.

edit: ok, mods win again, its goes into USA Men.

12. Koz

Koz New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed it :D

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Apparently, the moderators agreed with me. Your thread has been moved.

Feel free to keep posting nonsense in the N&A forum though. Hopefully you'll get the forum ban you deserve.

14. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man when i saw the title for this thread, i thought it may actually be a serious attempt at predictions. we all know we wouldn't need extra time to beat brazil (just joking)

i wish i were a millionaire, that way i could bet you a million that this does not remotely happen.

15. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    Heh, dont bother with Mike, hes a little angry because he cant find a way to squeeze his new and exciting kitty picture into this thread as hes done with countless others.:rolleyes:

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    *plonk*

Much better

17. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Freddy Adu made the winning PK? LOL - there you go

18. quitoamature

quitoamature Member

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    1Germany
    ecuador

B.
    england
    sweden

c.
    argentina
    dutch

d.
    port
    mex

e. italy
    usa

f.
    brazil
    aust

g.
    france swiss

h. spain
    tunisia

ger def. swe
    eng def. ecu
    arg def mex
    dutch def port
    italy def aus
    brazi def usa
    swiss def tunisia
    spain def france

arg def ger
    dutch def eng
    italy def swiss
    brazil def spain

dutch def brazil
    arg def italy

dutch def arg for first title

19. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    "Second Round"

20. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pedantic, aren't you? :rolleyes:

21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    No, just irritated by the 'need' to rename something with a more cumbersome title.
    Is the next round - the 'round of 8'? Or the previous, the 'round of 32'? No.

1st round, 2nd round, QF, SF, Final. Simple. Why people thought it needed redoing is beyond me.

Don't feel victimised - there's plenty on here that do it. I do the same thing if I see it elsewhere.

22. EEUU

EEUU Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Massapequa, NY USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You picked no-brainers across the board in the preliminary round, except when it came to the USA (no suprise there), the team we hate: Mexico (no surprise there), and the favorite to win it all(Brazil- No surprise there). Interesting.

From this, I can tell much about your childhood and your future... :p

My only recollection of Dempsey taking a penalty was in one of the MLS Finals I believe. You saw it in his face that he would miss it before he took it as he looked scared out of his boots... and miss it he did. I don't recall seeing him take a penalty since then.