Company Software

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by TeamUSA, Nov 21, 2006.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which software programs are used by those in the architecture/construction field? I've used Timberline and MS Project, but am wondering what others have used.

Anyone heard of or used a program called Mathcad? I received an e-mail with a little bit of description but wondered if it's been used by anyone.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally I use Autodesk Architectural Desktop/AutoCAD. It's the standard and I don't think that I could imagine drafting on any other product. Others use ArchiCAD and a small percentage use the originally Mac developed MiniCad which is now called Vecotrworks. They both suck ass.

In addition, I use Discreet's 3DStudioMax for modelling and the entire Adobe creative suite for presentations.

3. folha

folha New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    I use Mircostation CAD at work which I think it's better than AutoCAD. Vectorworks gets some nice features but it's very confusing to learn, or I'm just too thick for it:eek:

Also, SkecthUp is very quick for sketch modeling.

4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vectorworks is not intuitive at all. That's why it sucks.

Why do you prefer Microstation?

5. AutoCad 2007 & ADT 2007.

SketchUp 5 & Adobe Creative Suite with Image Composer by Microsoft.

I'm actually shocked that Microsoft hasn't tried to enter the design software market.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you figued out any of the modeling grabage in 2007? Aparently, it's supposed to work a lot like Max but when I gave it a run, it had all of the bad features and none of the good ones.

Have any of you had any experienc in Revit? I've given it a run and it seems like the future. What you do is draft in 3D in model space and then you develop a sheet set from all the standard views. The drawings look great and the primary modeling is decent and wonderful if you dump it into max. I know that SOM is designing the Lotte tower in Seoul with it and so far, so good.

Doom, if you are in Chicago itself, I would get some training in it from Consulting for Architects. Could help you out in the future.

As for sketch up, Can you add surfaces and textures and all or do you have to put that stuff in using photoshop after you have rendered?

7. No I haven't but that's what I've heard.

Not really our clientele. We're exclusively detailed to facilities management and architecture for Indian Boarding Schools and tribal education facilities like Head Starts and Child Development Centers. Tight budgets.
    I am not in Chicago, but Revit is probably something I'll be looking at soon.

Yes, you can add surfaces, textures, transparency, images and entourage. You can also set up camera points to do a fly through and export directly to MPG or AVI.

Right now, I'm working back and forth between it an Autocad. Develop the plan in CAD, import to SketchUp and build a mass model to make sure I don't have any weird situations that don't show up in elevation going on, then have my drafter work off that for elevations and import the sketch up model for the prelim approval.

Once that's done, we'll start preparing the construction drawings and developing the final model and render it with Kerkythea or just knock it out in Photoshop and distribute it to the various media/PR outlets.

8. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    AFLette used both of them (not in the hands-on aspect of the game anymore.) She had to go out and get trained on Microstation specifically for one of her clients because they demanded it. She absolutely loved it. But for everything else, it was AutoCAD cause thet's all they really taught her back when she was in college.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We were solely on Autocad and the guys from Autodesk came by to spruik Revit. However that was back in its original versions and it was very clunky and difficult to use.

Archicad also came around, with a similar product, but they were up to version 8 at the time, and had ironed out most bugs. So we went with Archicad- it is a great tool, modelling in 3D.

I wouldn't bother with 2D cad anymore.

I'm sure Revit will be just as good, either will be as good as each other.....

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking into Civil 3D and wow what a nice program. Just awesome what this will do. But the price on this beast is outrageous.