Commits deciding to quit or skip college

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by 2233soccer, Jan 9, 2023.

1. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering what college coaches think about high school players giving verbal commitments to schools and then backing out with little notice to go pro. It seems like top schools build their recruiting class around certain players and if those players skip out and go directly to the pro team, it leaves them high and dry. Is that just the cost of doing business or do coaches think there should be more accountability on the player's end and the pro team that takes them on??? I believe on the men's side if a pro team takes a player on from an academy team at a different club that there is money that has to be paid. Obviously the academy-to-pro is different from college-commit-to-pro but just curious if this continues to happen doesn't it screw up the college recruiting process?

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Coaches do not have any accountability when they leave recruits high and dry for another job. They move for more money, better job, etc. Why shouldn't players be able to?

espola repped this.
  3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure we can count these occurrences on two or less hands.

4. Byu77

Byu77 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Nov 21, 2021
    It’s the “cost of doing business” for UNC, Stanford and maybe 1-2 others in a handful of cases and a mute issue for 99% plus of the programs.
    I’ve found decommittments also pretty rare (as compared to college football).

ytrs repped this.
  5. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at rosters of teams that went deep in NCAA tournament. What % of their rosters are US kids? Do that math and you'll see how little of an impact US kids turning pro has on their roster building. People said MLS homegrown contracts would kill college soccer and make the MLS draft useless. But neither has happened due to influx of foreign players.

6. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't really have a strong opinion about it one way or another, was just curious how college coaches and programs felt about it. Seems like it could start happening more often. Definitely agree that coaches can move on or get pushed out and there is no accountability to the recruits that were expecting that coach to be there.

ytrs repped this.
  7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Maybe scholarship commitments should go back to year to year across the board so there is no guarantee for the athletes just the same as there is no guarantee for the coach that the athlete won’t jump in the portal anyway.

8. supercell

supercell New Member

Aug 19, 2021
    I can see the logic in that, but there is such a massive difference between P5 and even mid-major programs that I don't think a single rule makes sense either way. I think the variation in levels is a good thing, but regulating it without screwing alot of players is probably beyond NCAA's capability.

9. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, the percentage of US players that actually care or know about these instances is extremely minimal.

I can’t speak for everyone, but in my experiences of coaching and recruiting in double-digit states, literally no one (PSAs or parents) talks about the international make-up of college teams — men’s or women’s.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    probably not right thread but here goes; my daughter just got an job as an assistant coach for an brand new soccer program at an JC(which happens to be an big deal in our rural state &,requires overnight stay) She’s in charge of recruiting. Problem been it’s hard to find new recruits as quite a few good players don’t seem to want to play college ball anymore.
    I wonder if it’s a bit due to the post pandemic world where places McDonalds are offering up to 21 dollars an hour to kids? to add that rising cost of room & board(as she can only offer free tuition scholarships). It’s funny; we went to one important district, high school game to scout someone, but she wasn’t there. On the way home we stopped at an fast food restaurant & finally found our would be recruit working behind the counter, lol

11. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    why are you going recruiting with your daughter? this takes helicopter parent to an all new level!

12. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s cool that kids are finding more options available to them.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well she did ask me to….she’s only 23, brand new to recruiting /holds down 3 different jobs while still going for an online masters & coaches an mid school team.

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So this thread has gone completely from one end of the spectrum to the other!

I believe Alyssa Thompson is the only player just drafted not showing a 'college'. That is, came straight from HS/Youth soccer. (tweet and google doc linked below)

Of course, it still is pretty rare (if there was only one this year) and I'd say if you have recruits "de committing" that are good enough to get drafted or sign as pros overseas, you're probably doing just fine! and should be proud of them. How could a coach be offended by that?

ON the other end, one of the most disappointing things I see in recruiting, is the number of pretty good to very good players that walk away from the game early and choose to not play in college or even choose to not be pros after college.
    Bottom line - these are smart people with lots of options! (although I would say working fast food is awful)

Chris Henderson's Draft board in case you missed it. His twitter feed is now full of players signing overseas who maybe were not drafted and others getting invited to NWSL preseason camps as undrafted free agents.
    (great work he does!)