Alert: Commissioner Don Garber to Discuss MLS Playoffs and League's Future on Fox Football Fone-In‎

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by soccermaul, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is pretty much the way it works anyway. That is not the point however, of the single table. I don't think the single table will work in this country. We can twist it and turn it whichever way we want, but it will not happen....I'll believe it when I see it....

As far as the Don, he seems to say the right things. Again he mostly tells us what we all want to hear but all in all, I think he is doing some things right.....of course there is always room for improvement...

2. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    single table balanced schedule? or random schedule OK?

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    prefer it be balanced but until the league is finally done expanding I am flexible.

4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

From the little I've followed MLS until this season (I tried in the past, about 5 years ago, but found it painful), I think Don G has done a lot of good and the quality of the league has improved.

Now, having listened to him on FFF, someone needs to explain to him that a single table does not mean no playoffs. All of his comments were applicable to Columbus winning the Supporters Shield as the league currently stands. The Supporters Shield is based on a single table. Playoffs are a separate issue.

A better answer from him would have been, while a single table would make sense for next year where we have a "balanced schedule", it would not make sense in future years where the schedule is not balanced. It still wouldn't be a great answer because it ignores the Supporters Shield will be based on that single table, but it would have been a better answer because it recognizes the single table and the existence of the playoffs are two separate things (with the qualifying for playoffs to be based on divisions created because of an unbalanced schedule).

Otherwise, who screened those phone calls? Good grief, playing in the European Champions League? We're not in Europe for crying out loud.

I would have liked to have had an update on the Portland situation. Yes, he would have given a diplomatic answer, but at least it would have been more relevant.

5. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I asked the Dilly Duka question.

He didn't acknowledge the fact that I know Duka went to Rutgers. My question was simply if MLS and NCAA could work together to figure out how teams can retain their players.

6. vyertago

vyertago Member

Jun 8, 2006
    The supporters shield is not based on a single table. It is based on the team with the most points out of the two conferences.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know how he did it but when he was done answering that question, he was talking of a completely different issue. He did it so cleverly I forgot the initial question...I wonder if Garber has a law degree?

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically Garber said "It's the will of the MLS fans"

So next year when MLS goes to a balanced schedule and more fans show up to games, then maybe their will be single-table with play-offs in the future.

I also like the idea of having more expansion teams to cut down in travel.

If MLS fans scream for changes it will happen..., but if they sit at home and say it's too cold to go to a soccer game, well then sit in your momma's basement:p

9. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha I know, I made sure to state everything so he wouldn't take it in the direction he did, and by God he went there anyway.

All I wanted to know was whether the league was going to allow teams to retain the players they originally sign.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No I think he said its the will of the "MLS fans" to go to a Fall-Spring schedule.......

Which BTW, I do believe would be ok with a 6-8 week break as Webster suggested......Why not break all of December and start up the league in the Super Bowl Bye week opening the season with cold weather teams playing in warmer cities?

You can have Philly playing Toronto in the Sky Dome

NY @ LA on Saturday

DCU @ Chivas USA on Sunday

Seattle @ Vancouver's BC Place

Colorado at Dallas

New England @ San Jose

etc etc .....other teams can take a bye ..San Jose seemed to have 3 bye weeks in the middle of a hot summer so I am sure one of the rest, RSL , KC , CREW and Chicago can take a bye here and there.,....

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I think he half-answered your question but could have done a lot better. I think the heart of the answer was that they were trying to set-up a way to handle this situation in the future.

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Single table is not the answer and it will actually drive more fans away... no body will support no team in bottom 5 or so, attendance can drop if a team that bad doesnt progress throughout the season.. plus Conferences are more exciting cause with few teams concentrated a 4th place team in a conference looks better than a 8th placed team in a single table

13. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as for a the other issue I dont see how a team is losing a player if they didnt intent onhave that player

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J. Marsch is a cool cat. He'll make a great coach some day.

15. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did a poor job, this wasn't what I expected. They left out about 55 questions.

16. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I am not a Red Bulls fan. I have no idea why thats up. I am however in New York City for school.

17. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Did Garber really change Eric's mind about single table?..:D:D

18. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    First time watching this show and i thought it was terrific, Nick Webster more than makes up for Wynalda's lack of personality, the Don was good and Marsh was impressive and very likeable.

19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's a politician!

20. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Marsch is a really level head. Is he involved in the players' union?

21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Totally different than a single table where the team with the most points wins. I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

Let's put it this way, would the team with the most points out of the two conferences ever not win the single table? No? Well, then there's no difference.

22. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to watch so I am listening now ;)

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The replay is on FSC right now.