Comment made during US vs. Norway by announcers

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by UWHusky, Jul 25, 2002.

1. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Re: Re: Comment made during US vs. Norway by announcers

Hi there, SomebodyOrOther. :)

Well, Borgman is Borgman, and Sissi is...well, like God out there on the field (if she'll excuse me for being blasphemous). Dorrance was probably just giving props to his player.

2. USSoccerfan7

USSoccerfan7 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Dorrance is ALWAYS giving props to his players.

3. Magick2do

Magick2do New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    Dorrance has a thing that he thinks that his players are the only ones that are good. I mean I am the biggest UNC women's soccer fan there is, but I know that he is wrong. He alson picks favorites on the team but I guess whatever he does is working so I guess he should keep it up.

4. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    dont get me wrong, i have a ton of respect for him and UNC but on the PAX game he is always saying how good his players are, he doesn't say the others are bad, but he doesn't really say anything good about them.

5. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Agreed. He has yet to acknowledge just how totally awesome Boxxie of San Diego is. He repeatedly ignores her talent. He is obviously biased, and not reputable because of it.

6. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    Whats really wierd is the fact that San Diego and New York have so much talent but cant win. Box and Jules and Mac are all such good players, along with the rest, i have no clue why they cant seem to win games.

7. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the tactics. NY's offense can be a LOT better than they have shown. What they need is a tall target forward with Milbrett up front if they want to continue with the 4-5-1. I would personally like to see Rapp moved up and centered. Milbrett is way to short for this attacking shape and as a result, they try to loft balls over other team's defences and depend too heavil on milbrett's speed to chase after that ball before the defence gets to it.

With Rapp up front, she will be the target of direct balls. She needs to hold up the ball and wait for the midfield to catch up and build the attack from their or nod/flick the ball to Milbrett on the counter. She what Cindy Parlow is to the Atlanta Beat. The NY offense would be much more successful if they would have a holding forward that can hold the ball long enough for their midfield up so they can have an attack with numbers.

NY:

------------------Milbrett------------------------
    -------------------Rapp--------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    -----AM----------------------------AM-----------
    ---------------CM--------CM---------------------
    -------------------------------------------------
    RD--------------CD------CD------------------LD--

Don't know NY's roster...AM-attcking mid, CM-Central Midfielder,CD/RD/LD-central defender, right " , left " Either LD or RD would go forward while one stays back with the defense and transforms the form into 3-5-2

As for San Diego, they are very talented, but the midfield is too soft and attacks go through them easily. They just need to condense their back line and have 2 defensive midfielders that can pressure attacks. Foudy cant do all the defensive job for the midfield. Sawyer..Sauer... whatever her name is needs to be a bit more selective in going forward; they have all the offensive power they need already.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Ummm isn't that why they drafted the 5' 10" Mustonen? Oh that's right. She sucks.

And it's their defense that really needs to be worked on heading into 2003. When you have let your opponents nail you for 48 goals..something is wrong.

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I don't know NY's roster that well. All I know is that Rapp is tall and the only one whose name I know.

Yes their defense is horrid, and thats mostly due to the constant switching of the backline. They have no time to "gel" together and as a result, allowing the 48 goals that you said.

The best defence is a good offense. If they would just be more creative and not just use longballs that fall to their opponents most of the time, the opposing team would have a much harder time containing NY's attack and creating attacks of their own. A real good example of this is the Atlanta-NY game where Stone just let his two outside backs move into the attack and only have 2 defenders back to defend against the lone NY attacker. In that game, Atlanta totally owned the midfield and had numerous scoring chances; the Atlanta restraining line was moved way up front to condense the field. NY needs to keep its opponents honest and to do that is to have a potent attack.

10. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Mod note - this thread has turned into a WUSA discussion, so it's been split and moved here from the Women's News and Analysis forum.

Carry on :)