Coming over!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Brook, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toons!! We are coming over from Cleveland, Ohio, USA for the NUFC v Chelsea match on 14 ? September. Any ideas as to ales, pre match etc. Please be reminded, this is probably the only time I'll make it over to your great country!

2. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    It may sound typical, cliched, or run of the mill to some, but for a first time (or maybe only) visit I think you really should squeeze into the Strawberry before a match. Get there early (2 hours usually works for me) or ya nee fit in th' door! It's directly across the street from the park, you can't miss it.

Go back to the Straw when it's not so crowded so you can take your time to ogle the endless years of Mag memorabilia.

Honestly though, there are a large number of brilliant pubs throughout the Toon, and if you've got a spare evening heading out to North Shields wouldn't be too bad neither -- they'll be shocked that Americans are purposey in Newcastle, even moreso that they found their way to North Shields. You'll make a lot of friends, I guarantee.

One of my favorite pubs in the Toon is the Cooperage, located down on the shore of the Tyne and not far from the Tyne Bridge. Old, classic pub with a fantastic selection on tap.

Really though, you can't go wrong no matter where you end up in the area, so long as you stay north of the Tyne. :p

Oh yes... for a great postgame meal you can't beat the all-you-can-eat buffets in Chinatown. Okay, so it's only a block long. But the prices are low and the food tasty (not that it matters after countless pints and the delirium of a match at St. James').

3. Toony

Toony New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Newcastle is a pretty small & compact city , by anyones standards. Once you get into the town centre, everything - & I mean everything - is within staggering distance. The Quayside is pretty good - lots of bars & clubs wherever you go - but be prepared for an early start, as UK licencing laws can still be a problem - Pubs usually shut at 11 PM , clubs 2 or 3 , but everyone is usually out & about by 7/7.30.

If you are not sure where to go , head for the Bigg Market - just listen for the noise & follow it !. Its only 10 mins from St James park & could be described as the centtre of Newcastle Night Life ( although this is debateable ). Depending upon your tastes - be they mainstream or other ( remember that there about about 100,000 students in newcastle ) , there are niches for everyone.

If you have time , check out the cynical , but well informed website :

http://www.theburglarsdog.co.uk/

its independent , but worth reading - contains maps also. For the uninitiated , the Toon on a Saturday night can be a revelation - prepare to queue for some of the more trendy pubs & bars. My own personal recs. would be :

The Cooperage - Quayside
    The Bridge - At the end of the Brodge ( funnily enough )
    The Trent house - Next to the gound.

Also , If you get time , Please try to make time to get uup to the Roman wall - magnificent & desolate - & only an hours drive from Newcastle . The Northumberland coastline , north of Newcastle is also wonderful & mostly unspoilt.

have a good time!

4. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    Brook,

This is all good advice about visiting the Toon, but I think you'll find the NUFC - Chelsea game is in London!

If I was you I'd double-check your schedule.

Wide Boy

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

hehe....but Brook might be better off in Newcastle considering the idiot Ken Bates is charging 40 quid for tickets.