NSR: Comcast buying Time Warner Cable

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by jcvf90, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time Warner is amazing for football and Comcast is terrible (in LA and the Bay Area respectively at least). My dad's house in LA has Time Warner and he has Fox Deportes in HD, Gol TV in HD, ESPN Deportes in HD, and both BeINs in HD. Also Fox Soccer Plus is in HD and in the Sports Pack. Time Warner also has all the PL Extra Time Channels. Comcast has the BeINs in SD, Fox Deportes in SD, ESPN Deportes in HD and does not offer Gol TV at all. TWC has Fox Sports 2 in SD only, but Comcast doesn't offer it at all. TWC authenticates on BeIN Sports Play, Comcast does not. Only positive for Comcast is that it authenticates on NBC Live Extra, whereas TWC does not.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long-time Comcast subscribers might remember how Comcast didn't want to re-up with FOX Sports World because Comcast saw it as competition to their own channel, OLN.

Eventually, FSW was re-added in some (all?) areas on the Sports Pack.

True, this is all water under the bridge now, but at the same time this was going on, FSW was on TW's basic digital tier.

Ever since then, I've had the feeling that Comcast wasn't the most soccer-friendly carrier in the country.

4. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't know how much of the deal with FSW was about being negative towards soccer and how much of it was about Comcast v. Fox as Comcast was trying to build their name as a content provider. Wasn't that around the time that they were both expanding their regional sports networks?
    But in broad general terms Comcast is not a responsive provider.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

You're right though about responsive. Both are at the bottom of the various JD Power-esque surveys.