Columbus v New England - Playoff Match #2. In and Post Game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Own Goal Hat-Trick, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    He's been institutionalized. All that's left is for The Queens to ass-rape him and he'll become the black Andy Dufresne, just drifting through the day while concocting his escape plan.

2. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To start off:

F the Druler
    F Matt Reis
    Fcuk you tony.

Now for some questions:

The Druler stated somewhere (IIRC gametime interview) that his gameplan consisted of having big tony in the middle and try to send crosses into the box. It sounds reasonable, until you realize that we were not attacking along the flanks. Almost the entire night, we attacked right up the middle. How in the living HELL do you cross from the middle to the middle?!?

Also, the Druler stated somewhere that we would react and adjust to the Revs gameplan (IIRC pregame interview). Now, why in the HELL does a team that is coming out for "the second half" rely on hoping to read the opponent and not have their own gameplan?!?

Now for my thoughts:

It appears that I'm the only one not upset with the Dante start. IMO, he is exactly what we needed to start the game --- what we didn't have was a dedicated forward to help up top. Passing him the ball and watching to see if he can dribble past defenders will never work. Pair him with either Edson or Jefferey and there would have been results.

Does Ross' head still hurt? Even more than in past games, he would run backwards 15 yards before turning around and starting the attack again. To say that it was frustrating watching him do that late in the game is an understatement.

Thank you sooooo much tony Sanneh. You are definitely a class act in the art of being a pompous prick. I hope you choke on a chicken wing and die.

3. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lineup I suggested from the Pregame thread is looking better and better as I read through what everyone had to say. Except after seeing the way Oughton played last night I think having him on the field was a smart move. We needed two goals to win this thing and we come out with a crappy lineup and crappy effort.

Dante starting didn't bother me as much as Tony being in the AM spot. I think what we really needed was an attacking formation and we would have forced NE to react to us instead of the other way around. The shot that Danny took that Reis had to push over the top was a thing of beauty and honestly he is the only one on the Crew with enough talent to pull it off. Why in the hell Greg still thinks Heydude needs to be on the pitch anywhere other than in the back line is beyond me.

I was having a meltdown in the stands when Greg subbed out Martino, when Tony stepped up to take the penalty and when Reis stayed down after the goal. I practically puked in my mouth 5 or 6 times last night. Andrulis needs to go and he can take Tony Sanneh with him.

Like some others I won't put this game squarely on Paule's shoulders. It was a crap kick, but we had plenty of time to make up for it. Reis should have been sent off and Tony never should have stepped up to take that kick. If Greg is still here next year I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to stepping back into the stadium again.

4. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE
    Thank you sooooo much tony Sanneh. You are definitely a class act in the art of being a pompous prick. I hope you choke on a chicken wing and die.[/QUOTE]

i know this is wrong, but this makes me laugh. and agree. well, maybe he doesn't need to die. just go to SLC.

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What do you expect, everyone wanted a neutered Jeff Cunningham. I hope everyone's happy with the result.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch how you use "everyone", psycho dude. ;)

By the way, what exactly where you yelling at the game last night?(regarding Andrulis)

7. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Sanneh was one of the best signings in the MLS. Sanneh helped the Crew alot during the season. Sanneh shouldnt go. Andrulis was the manager that didnt start the best forward in the MLS and started a player that has played 3 matches.Hejduk didnt do much in the match he should not start or play for the USA.Overall it was a horrible match for the Crew the Revs took that 1 goal lead defended well attacked when they could and scored the goal to wrap up the series.The Revs wanted to go to the Conference finals more.

8. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the rest of what you said, but this part was spot on.

9. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having now forced myself to watch the entire recording of last night's game, I just want to say this:

Eric Wynalda is still a twat, but props to him for saying right out that the Crew, their coach and their players, blew chunks.

10. IrishCrew7

IrishCrew7 New Member

Is it out of the Question that the Bruce was supposidly at the game last night and Tony played for DC back in the day. Hmm blew it for a old friend maybe??? FU Tony and you die, you die and go straight to hell Andrulis!

11. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe we took the guy we cut, who had been with the team for exactly twenty-two minutes and put him up top to start ahead of the two people who clearly outperformed him enough to warrant sending him to the A-leauge in the first place. Then we had to watch sixty minutes of him stumbling over the ********ing ball long enough to be injured and replaced. Unbelievable. Dante sucks. He has sucked for three years now and he will continue to suck. He's A-league talent.

Buddle and Cunningham belonged on the field when there was a job to be done and instead Coach Stupid sends out the most unthinkable line-up ever conceived. I'm surprised the players didn't laugh him off when he first posted it. What a time for experiments, right? Down 0-1 in the playoffs - 90 minutes until your season ends. Well ******** that.

That Tony Sanneh even came up to Jeffro at the penalty kick spot is reason enough to leave him unprotected and send him to Salt Lake. You, Tony, are an out-of-place defender. Mr Cunningham is a striker: he. converts. penalty. kicks. That thirty seconds is what I'll be living with from now until April.

The mighty Crew knocked out by the ********ing Revolution. ********

12. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compared to Lothar.

There are not too many players that wear, or have worn, the yellow that I spew vile and hatred toward. As a matter of fact, there are only four:

1) Cali-fukc you
    2) Mr. Red Shoes
    3) Denton the twat
    4) Pompous T.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I disagree with the comments on Dante. He has a certain skill set that could have been useful if he had a strike partner. Two or 3 years ago we would kick the high ball to McBride who would nod it down to a teammate, frequently in a dangerous place. Now we have a single forward who is triple-teamed and doesn't have McBride's control. Dante should have been the recipient of the flick not the flicker. We should have had Buddle out there from the start. I would have started Cunny as well for offensive options. Dante would be a good 60th minute sub for a D-mid if we still trailed. Our tactics were horrible. We spent the first half serving high balls to a single guy. NE has a decent central defense and weak outside backs. We should have been taking the ball to the corner more and running the line toward the goal. Cunningham, Martino, and Wingert, perhaps Szetela and Hejduk are quick enough to take Jay Heaps or Leonard off the dribble. NE tried to funnel play to the middle and we obliged like it was in the coaching gameplan. Maybe it was.

14. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    My condolences to all Crew fans. Shocking loss even with the unique lineup.

Side question for those who care to answer. How did Danny Z do? I was surprised he got on the field for a game like this. Considering the starting lineup I should not be.

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Danzilla should have been starting both playoff games.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that i have underestimated him. that boy is going to be a serious player. paule in the lineup for both games, coming back from injury was utterly foolish. Buddle on the bench to start was foolish. Sanneh up top was foolish. Sanneh moving Cunny out of the way for the pk was foolish. When Sanneh came over, he made some wildly arrogant statements about his playing prowess. I supported him coming over and think that he is a good player, BUT he clearly took his own self-aggrandizement a little too seriously, and it affected his thinking in stealing the pk from Cunny. Danny showed more in a few minutes than most of the Crews regulars did.

17. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Thanks for the response. I am first and foremost a USMNT fan and love to see young Americans doing well. Would have preferred to see him a Metro but love to see him doing well.

18. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think young Dan will be a serious player for this club next year, which is sooner than I ever thought it should happen. He has shown flashes of brilliance, and has generally at least held his own with the grown men on the field. We have recently looked more dangerous when he is on the field, even briefly (see Fabregas, Cesc). However, he will only be 18 next June, and we need to be careful that we don't demand too much of him in his growth as a player or in his physical development (see Wenger, Arsene).

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i can't believe i just read through this whole thread.

i'm disgusted.

this team could enter the playoffs with 30 wins and no losses next year and i still won't believe. It's going to take a long time to get over this.

20. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I'm just as mystified that we decide to play high balls in for Big Tony and Dante to finish. NE is strong in the center and Tony should have stayed back at D-mid where he is most effective. Danzilla was effective because he stayed on the wing and stretched the width of the field.

I still believe Wingert was not 100% and Kmart should have started on the wing with a Dante/JC forward group. Buddle apparently pissed off GA and therefore did not start. Buddle is intense and wanted to win - I want those type guys on MY team. The fracas in NE with Reis just should have identified how bad he wanted the W.

The conclusion is GA is a nice guy WAY over his head - time to move on...