Columbus - San Jose (Saturday, 7/9) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 5, 2005.

1. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Roner and Draguicevich are back, mit de vengeance? :cool:

2. musterion

musterion New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Hilliard, OH USA
    Oh please. You surely jest. Cornered animal, ridiculous. Most I think would like to get rid of the coach. They would not fight for his job.

3. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm one of those who has been impressed with Wondolowski. However, I don't think for the situation the team is in b/c of injuries and national team duties that this is the game to bring him in. If O'Rourke starts, that means we would have two rookies playing midfield if Wondo were to get in the game, especially in a stadium where we have galaxyitis. Russell has played well in the Reserve games and I wouldn't say he has been outplayed from what I saw. Plus he was the substitute when Davis got hurt against la. I still think he can contribute to the team ...

4. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Columbus - San Jose (Saturday, 7/9) FSC TV coverage

Sorry if I missed this info somewhere...

The official Quakes site and soccerTV indicate that the Fox Sports Channel (FSC) will be airing the game live (4:30 PM PDT). But my TiVo with DirectTV does not have the game listed at all on that channel, just the tape-delayed game on FSBA at 7 PM. When I go to the official FSC site... well the info there seems contradictory as to whether they have the game or not. What gives? Thanks!

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is Ian peaked in 2001 and the rest of the league has improved since. His lack of playing time with both Frank and Dom verifies this. He has one move, touch the ball past one side of the defender and run like hell past the other side. Used to work four years ago and doesn't anymore. His crosses are usualy of the 'Elephants Ass' variety (their high and they stink). His off the ball play is weak and he's starting to become a hack.

His best chance for more time is to develop as an outside right back. He's got the speed to keep up and, with disipline, could become good at making that connection with the mids when winning the ball.

His productive moments, like the assist he had last year in New England (a perfect cross to Brown for the only goal of that game) are just to scarce to justify giving him more time.

I had thought that had Levesque shown real interest in being an outside mid, he wouold have been on the field in place of Ian last year, but Roger is a striker and probably would rather play that position in Seattle then play some other position to stay in S.J. as a bench option.

6. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Beileibe nicht!

7. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Yes, this is probably true but that probably means the coach will be likely to get rid of the players too. Andrulis should be making changes, just to survive and I'm not as confident as some others that its gonna be a walkover for us with the beaten up squad we have. Hopefully we can still win by a goal but I don't think it's gonna be that easy and I seriously doubt that the crew players are deliberately tossing games just to get rid of the coach.

8. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind having Roner back... He showed a lot of promise before the injury/surgeries.

9. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering about the accuracy myself when he lists Martino as a starter for the crew. He's out due to the red card suspension...

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    You say that like it's a negative. The Quakes have always found his toughness and fight useful off the bench.

I'm afraid his hesitation when distributing the ball would cost us.

All this is just my opinion, but I don't see it. One thing Ian has that I don't think Levesque does, is a genuine change of gear. It's one thing that prevents Levesque from being an MLS quality striker. Ever.

But what do I know? I never thought McBride had much of a change of gear and he's found a smorgasbord of headers and tap-ins for club and country.

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Anyone know how to spell smorgasbord? I mean w/out looking it up?

12. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Anyone know, is today's game only on TV on tape delay?

13. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I asked first.

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    But yeah, it is on tape delay. MLS Direct Kick showing starts at 4:30. FSBA is 7PM I think. All Times Pacific.

Next time put your hand up.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's being shown live at 4:30pm PT on the MLS Direct Kick Package (Comcast channel 448).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

16. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yep - just like you spelled it.

Only on tape delay in the Bay Area (except Direct Kick), it will probably be live on mlsnet match tracker if you want to watch on your computer.

I'm out here in the beautiful city of Columbus, going to the match in person. It's about 80 degrees, not too humid, shouldn't be too bad for the team (nothing like it was in Dallas last weekend for them). Team is out at lunch/pregame meal right now, then back to the hotel, relax a bit and head over to the field.

The bad news about being in Ohio is that nobody has ever heard of Telefutura or Univision, no Gold Cup games on tv out here :(

17. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the A's game. So who knows what time it will really air. I like the way the MLS put it on the TV info email "TV: FSN - Bay Area (TD > 10pm ET)". TD is greater than 10pm ET, makes perfect sense.

18. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Update on who should be playing tonight - Robinson is ready to go, he'll be starting at central defender. It's still not sure who will start next to him - Cochrane's hip pointer that he suffered Wednesday is still bothering him. He's supposed to get a cortisone injection before the game, and it will be a game time decision as to whether he can go or not. If he can't go, most likely would be Gray in the middle and Hart on the outside.

Not clear who the 5 subs on the bench will be; there are a couple of extra guys along on the trip because of the uncertainty with Eddie and Ryan. The possible guys here in Ohio are Conway, Nash, Wondolowski, Russell, Hart, Aloisi, and Goldthwaite. Goldthwaite was the backup plan if both Eddie and Cochrane couldn't go, so he's almost certainly not going to be on the bench. If Cochrane can't go, then Conway, Nash, Wondolowski, Russell and Aloisi would be the subs and Hart would start. If Cochrane can go, then one of those guys doesn't sit on the bench, seems like Aloisi would probably be the odd man out (but it could be Russell....)

Team is heading over to Crew Stadium, Go Quakes!

19. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Great news about Ero. Thanks for the update LGF and enjoy the game.

20. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's useful, I just have trouble paying to watch it. :rolleyes:

The 'Quakes really don't need a Simo Valekari, Ted Eck, Zak Ibson kind of player, (although Valekari can trap a ball and make a pass between hacks).

My opinon of Levesque is based on about 50 to 55 min of play. So it's pretty limited. He got some time in at the end of his Rookie year after his ACL injury and he was on the field in the second half of that Sporting Lisbon game. He didn't do anything stupid, got a short or two off that we're better than about 90% of Corralles' shots. I saw enough to think that he could probably do just as good of a job, in less than a year of overall MLS experience than what Ian was doing with at least triple the time.

Then again, I though Mulroney was hopeless his first couple years over at right mid, then Frank put him at defensive mid and Richard bloomed. I never saw that coming. :eek: