Columbus - San Jose (Saturday, 7/9) Inmatch/postmatch thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJtotalfootball, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, no dope there...always wondering what sort of good karma a decent, impromptu guitar/mic effort will do for the fortunes of the team right before a match. Kind of an odd mix for the win this time :confused:

Might need a thread reviewing the players' preferred tunes to hone this skill going into the playoffs.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, that part doesn't match up, but maybe just a decoy. If you look at Red Raider's posts, almost all of them are about Wade, and many show remarkably detailed information about him. I suppose it could be a good friend of Wade's or someone who just became a massive Wade fan at the exlusion of virtually everything else. But it seems odd.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade had a real serious girlfriend during the 2002 season. I don't know if they're still together, married, or whatever. But maybe Red Raider is his S.O.

Come on Red Raider, fess up!! :D

JJ, you may be on to something. Didn't Joe Cannon used to post here?

If I were a player I wouldn't touch this place with a 10' pole.

:D :D

4. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in one of Wades articles, he mentioned about a fiancee

and bajaro.. I think you ARE a player! either that or Q!

5. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah he's engaged to his girlfriend, Haley.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I've often wondered if players ever stop by here, and I'm sure some of the old-timers have examples. I know Tim Hanley occasionally stops by. But I have to agree, as a player you probably really don't want to be here. It would just be a distraction. But with soccer getting so little coverage in mainstream media, where else would you get a sense for how you're perceived by the fans (if you care)?

7. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    First off, I was p-d off last night that Fox Soccer Channel showed the NE and Chicago match instead of the SJ and Crew. :mad:

But, going back to the discussion of players coming in here and reading what we the fans have to say, I DO believe they do cruise the boards but not necessarily join as posters (or maybe do but use very non-descript names--ofcourse). I once mentioned that Dom and John probably come in here and get ideas :)

As for Wade, just read his articles (very entertaining), when he was being berated in the boards for his passing capabilities earlier in the season, he jokingly addressed this in one of his articles. :D

8. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Talked to both of them before the season kick-off rally.

They are both really nice kids (and I feel really old writing that!!).

9. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Watched the game...he had a BEAUTIFUL tackle on Cobi......All ball but sent Cobi flying. Then they had a close-up of Goos. Same tough stare.

Ahh, the memories!

I also heard the crowd chanting something highly derogatory to Hartman...I love Direct Kick!!

10. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah - I'm bummed that Ronald's goal is not nominated for GOTW. Or Eddie's....

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! None of that! Don't go pulling a Goodsport on us! You're only as old as you act! ;)

I've noticed that a lot of you have complained that the Quakes weren't playing so well in the first half. To an extent that's true. At the same time, our guys were getting fouled after every pass. The Crewless were playing a very physical, negative, awful game. They could have earned gthree or four more yellow cards in the first half. (Off the ball fouls are cardable offenses.)

So I think it took our guys a bit to get used to that, but also some stern warnings from the ref to make them stop.

Clark and DFO had by far the better control of the center of the pitch than the Crewless.

Testo looked good on the wing a lot for the bad guys. Mullan and Hart should have closed him down better.

Chung had plenty of space and played pretty well, though he didn't really sync up with his teammates all that well.

Gray and ERob were excellent in the back. Yeah, they could have done better on the set pieces, but given the shuffling of the backline, I was really happy.

Onstad still needs to direct his defenders more.

Barrett had a decent, but not great game.

Moreno and Cerritos were their usual workhorse selves.

I thought Nash looked good in relief. I want to see him on the pitch earlier, like in the 70th minute.

Russell wasn't on long enough to say much.

The ref was crap too. When the Crewless had their "surge" towards the end, he let them get away with a ton of fouls, called some phantom fouls on us, and then gave them more extra time that was warranted. What a wanker. Oh, and he should have handed out two or three extra yellows to them early. Weasel.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

12. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Great result - even though Cbus is having an off year, any time you get 3 points on the road it's a great result. And considering the Quakes history in Columbus, this is even sweeter. And considering they played without Davis, DeRosario and Califf (not to mention Ching, Waibel and Dayak), even sweeter yet!

Good teamwork, great perseverance by the team, I love the way they don't get down if the get behind.

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably not going to be a popular response but just where would Waibel and Dayak play if they were available?

I'd start Grey and Califf even if Waibel and Dayak were the picture of health right now...

To borrow uclacarlos syntax :

Grey > Waible
    Califf > Dayak

14. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Good point - but it sure would give the team a lot more depth on defense. I agree on Dayak (although Troy would sure bring a lot of leadership on the practice field and help out in other ways even if not starting). I'm not quite so sure about Waibel.....actually, I think Waibel and Gray would be playing and Barrett would be sitting (assuming either Gray or Waibel would be comfortable on the left side).

15. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think I agree with you, I have nothing but respect for Dayak but I think Califf is the best center half this team has ever had.

I'm inclined to agree about Gray too although it'll take a few more games to be certain.

16. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a great deal of respect for Troy and I was starting to ease up on Waibel a bit too (he had a thing for long balls that went no where... Only Ibsen was worse).

There is something I value more in a defender than the ability to clear a ball and clean an attacker in one move and that is the ability to win and keep possession. People are quick to complement an attacking player on his/her ability to defend but I find it much more appealing to watch a defender who can trap a ball or make a 15+yr one touch pass.

I've seen enough of Grey to be convinced that this is the way he wants to play, the way he thinks. He's going to botch a pass as often as Waibel makes one.

I think a back four or three who can help the team keep posession will not have as much need for a front line that can 'defend' and I would prefer to watch such a team.

17. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Great points, I think this is the main reason the defense has been so improved, much much better distribution from the back. Califf and Ero have been exceelent, if you look at the number of balls from these guys that end up on the head or foot of another Quake the vast majority maintain possession. gray just makes it look easy, he makes what look like safe passes a lot of the time, nothing two spectacular, but you know, they end up with a Quakes player and the great thing about kelly is he moves after he passes and gets into open space. like I said, I'm gonna wait a few more games but my inclination is that he should stay on the pitch even when Waibel comes back.

On the other side of the field we have a greatly improved Barrett for the last 3-4 games. he was giving the ball up a lot early in the season but he's really seemed to get it together lately.

There's two more players I give credit to for the play out of the back third, dero and Clark, again keeping their cool and making what are mostly great passes.

I love the Quakes style of play when they hit it, just pass after pass; patient possession, it's orgasmic :D

This is a very well coached team, so credit to Dom too for maintaining the great style that Yallop began, even with all the new faces.

18. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    DotMPP - agree with most of your points, but I don't think you are giving Waibel the credit he deserves for the passing and distribution he did out of the back early in the year. I actually think he was the only guy in the back early who was doing a good job of distribution consistently; Robinson and Dayak were doing ok from the middle but nothing great, and Barret was passing more to the other team. Also, Clark and ORourke in the middle were not doing a good job of passing the ball out; Waibel was the one bright spot I saw.

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes played a great game on the road. Crew were highly motivated for the win and played hard all 90 minutes. However, the Quakes just took over the second half and controlled the game. The second goal is definately a goal of the week candidate.

I liked the play of all of the players. O'Rourke is still not ready to start consistantly (way too many back passes), but he is looking better.

Credit Dom and staff for getting the team to play intelligently and with style.

20. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I just watched the tape of the game, and I really do have to say that O'Rourke was not very good out there. He's very lucky he did not get called for a PK on the play he made on Mario Rodriguez in the 55th minute. He kicked the ball out over the end line needlessly in the first half to give the Crew their CK that led to the goal. He fouled the Crew a few minutes later in the first half just outside the box on the left side, which led to a cross that almost led to a second Crew goal. He gave the ball away on bad passes several times. He just didn't seem to be in a good flow, know when to take fouls and when not to.

He did make many very nice tackles, and worked hard. He just hasn't seemed to improve his decision making and passing; he's not playing any better than he did in the first couple of games. While the other young guys are improving, he's not.

I hope this is just a short term lull in his development, and he gets back on track to improving again. But I think that once DeRo is back, unless we have another unfortunate injury, playing time will be hard for Danny to find based on his performance Saturday.

On the positive side, I agree with others that the Quakes play in the second half (after the first 5-8 minutes of the second half) was much improved, and Mullan, Clark, Cerritos and to some extent Chung and Moreno controlled the middle of the field and the ball much better. If they can carry that over to the DC United game, it will help them to compete with a strong midfield on the DCU side.

21. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without Waibel, the early part of the year would have been an unmitigated disaster.

He came to the Quakes as a work-in-progress. Today, he's a solid pro with an extra-heavy dose of heart. I don't know whether he'd be starting over Gray or Barrett, but damn, what a nice problem to have.

23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Waibel was our only decent back in the first month of the season, though I'd still play Gray over him. Personally, if he were healthy, I'd like to see him fight for a center back position... I think he may have given ERO a run for his money.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I'm not sure where he'd fit in, but I like him as a center back too. Given how injury-prone ERo is especially, you need a strong backup there. And who knows if Califf will be back next year too. In any case, I'm not sure if he's signed for next year, but if not I hope the Quakes make every effort to sign him (unless he's determined to play overseas). Even though he might have been able to play at the end of the season, he unselfishly gave up his roster spot so the Quakes could acquire Gray. It'd be pretty sad if he lost his job because of that.

25. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woof! I did say that my opinion might not be popular, but it is based on last year as well as this year. I agree that Waibel was a big improvement this year over last year so my comment about only Ibsen being worse was probably harsh.

I agree with JazzyJ, that he may well be back on the field due to Ero's injury woes.

Since I'm into zapping players with heart, Maybe what we're seeing with Clark & DeRo now is what Dom was seeing all along and is the main reason our man Ekelund was not given a contract this year?