Pre-match: Columbus Crew vs New England Clam Sauce Fake Grass Chowdahs | Match 2 - Mar. 9, 2019 2:00 PM ET

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 3/9/19 match vs New England?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2019.
  1. Win by two or more goals

17.9%
  2. Win by one goal

42.9%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

16.1%
  4. Lose by one goal

8.9%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

5.4%
  6. Saves the Crew: Steffen makes ≥4 saves, Crew tie (worth 2 points!!)

5.4%
  7. “If Pedro Santos falls down in the box and no one is around to trip him, is it a foul?” - Ted Unkel

3.6%
  1. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Crew SC vs New England Revolution

MLS Regular Season Match Saturday, March 9, 2:00 PM – Gillette Stadium

Broadcast: SportsTime Ohio, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ (******** yeah, blackouts!), MLS LIVE on DAZN

Links: MLS Match Center

Vitals:
    Columbus Crew SC
    1 P / 1 G / 1 PPG | 0W-0L-1D | 1 GF / 1 GA / 0 GD | FORM: D

New England Revolution
    1 P / 1 G / 1 PPG | 0W-0L-1D | 1 GF / 1 GA / 0 GD | FORM: D

Goal Leaders:
    Columbus Crew SC
    Gastón Sauro - 1

New England Revolution
    Carles Gil - 1

Previous Meeting:
    May 19, 2018 @ Gillette Stadium
    Columbus Crew SC 1, New England Revolution 0

Notes:
    We got the first match of the season out of the way, okay. We didn't execute, okay. But that's okay, okay. We got our jitters out, okay. The pressure, the emotion, the moment is gone, okay. Now we focus on playing good soccer, okay. We go win this one up in Foxboro, okay. Okay.

I don't have much else to say about this match so here is Brad Friedel talking about saving penalties:

And many thanks to @porchlight for the title assist.

porchlight, ZipSix, zman31 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, anybody got any good pupusa recipes? Holla at ya boy.

3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamburgler03 repped this.
  4. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm drunk on life.

Kryptonite, WhiteHartShame and chr1st repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Revs win will.the.players get gift certificates to.the Oriental Rub Joint & Spa?

stanger, soccerncbus, Tobias C and 7 others repped this.
  6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support this joke.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    KHT

TKyle and chr1st repped this.
  8. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    The title to this thread is not the happy ending I was looking for

LaMacchia repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I made a delicious salmon chowder for lunch on Saturday and am having the leftovers for dinner tonight.

Honestly, who knows if New England is any good? If you watched the New England/Dallas game this weekend with as many other actual better professional soccer options were available you are a better man than me. That said, a tie on the road at Dallas is impressive. And this is the Revs home opener, so you can expect a tepid atmosphere at Foxboro as opposed to the normal complete lack of atmosphere. It's gonna be a tough ask for our boys.

That said, we brought in Matt Reis for one goddamn reason. This game. Matt Reis a died in the wool New England Revolution goalkeeping legend was passed up for the Revs head coaching job for some Ohio kid with a British accent?!? I have a feeling Matt is gonna rally the troops here.

A Zack Steffen clean sheet. 5 Santos stumbles. 2 Zardes goals. And a 3-0 Crew victory.

10. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I think the first 10,000 people through the gate gets them. For the players, it's in the contract, win or lose.

Bill Archer repped this.
  11. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I'll take the over on the Santos stumbles.

jack sticker repped this.
  12. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Man I had you for at least 72 hours to get over the Rome derby.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Official line is 9.5.

DGA57 repped this.
  14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Too bad Hansen isn’t healthy . Honestly I like Christian Martínez better than Pedro who has 1 goal in 48 games.

15. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that NordOst 96 group is having a watch party for the match at Missing Falls Brewery in Akron. I was wondering if anyone from here might be attending that.

16. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I had to check the profile picture like five times to make sure I wasn't seeing things as to who posted this.

TKyle and jack sticker repped this.
  17. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not I, but I'm planning on attending a watch party myself for really only the third time in my life. This time, it is literally less than a mile from my house, across the street on sunbury in Westerville, at a place I like to go to for beer and food.

It was like destiny. I can't not go.

jack sticker repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd consider going but I think I pissed that guy off. Then again,who haven't I pissed off, so I suppose that's no barrier.

19. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hasn’t Mullins played as a winger? He’d have to be better than Meram at this point right?

20. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can't help but think our first game was mismanaged with only one sub. (For the record, I liked Robinho for Meram.)

Porter said in the post-game presser that he didn't want to sub Zardes, Santos, or Higuain:

Yet, we had the late cross that Zardes couldn't get connect onto, the classic Santos collapsing in the box and grabbing his face late in the game because wind blew on it too hard. Higuain slowed down from his already slow pace, and of course the Santos trip at the end. Two of those three players (Zardes, Santos, Higuain) should have been subbed in the last 10 minutes. We have JJ Williams, Mullins, Argudo, and Sosa sitting. In fact, JJ Williams is the only one of those four in the 18.

Instead, we have 4 defensive-minded players in our 18: Josh Williams, Abubakar, Jimenez, and Clark. One of those players should have been cut out of the 18 (Abubakar or Jimenez, IMO) for Mullins (or Sosa/Argudo). And, we should have made at least one, if not two, more offensive-minded subs.

Yet, Porter says, "this is the game we need to figure out."

Use your roster!

POdinCowtown, Minnman and chr1st repped this.
  21. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe Porter is playing the long-con. Not make these subs to only get a tie instead of win, to pressure the staff to let him spend and get his players in, vs. using subs and winning games without the team he fully wants.

Totally joking.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, was puzzled that we did not make more subs. But, one game. I really don't think I can judge much on one game.

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Crabby Tom's?

24. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Harry Buffalo

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read those comments, too. And the one line that really jumped out was: "That would have been the only way to get J.J on the field."

Look, I agree with @kgilbert78 that this is just one game, and we need to chill out a little bit and not assume that what we saw on Saturday is the entirely of what we'll see all season. But Porter's statement - which I certainly could be reading something into that he didn't mean - was that the only way we'll see a second striker enter a game is if another offensive player comes off.

Which, again, seems very Berhalter-esque. Unless I'm mistaken, the only time last season we saw two strikers was when roster availability made a shirt to that line-up advantageous (was it during Open Cup matches without Higuain?).

I mean, really? We'd never pull a central midfielder or defender to insert another attacking player? We don't have players who can shift their positions, in game, to help make those adjustments? It just strikes me as odd. As it did when Gregg was making these same decisions.

Anyway, as we wait for more data, the next thing I'll be looking for is Porter's willingness to mix up his starting XI; something Berhalter was loath to do. Might Robinho start for Santos, for example?

TRUJDUB and hardhead repped this.