Columbus Crew to be rebranded entirely?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hudson hooligan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, I don't mind the font. I like looking at the scoreboard to see if the Crew are winning the check battle in the 3rd period..

TKyle repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my kind of font....
    199328210_4356086234442807_2131098686897625974_n.jpg

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew inks new sponsorship deal with global sports betting operator

I'm sure this wouldn't have happened with the old logo.

Anyway, as I have less than zero interest in betting, this doesn't mean shit to me.

4. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like last season's enormous increase in sponsorship $$ meant a better team and reasonable ticket prices?

It could also just mean more profit for ownership. I'm guessing the Haslams and Edwardes prefer that state of affairs.

TrueCrew repped this.
  6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well of course some portion of that revenue makes its way into ownership pockets. but let's be real, that have put a hell of lot of their money into the organization - from buying team to building stadium, to building training center etc etc. And I'm sure there is some debt they've taken on as well so that needs paid down. And they paid for Lucas. And tickets prices could be far higher - have you paid for Blue Jackets or Ohio State Football tickets lately?

stanger, MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4157 Bill Archer, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Amazing, isn't it?

People want to piss and moan about how the ow ers should come out of pocket to the tune of millions of dollars to bring in fancy talent, and then turn around and piss and moan about things the owners do to raise money.

I guess the idea is that they should run the team as a public service, lose truckloads of cash and sell everyone tickets for ten bucks a seat.

For those of us on planet Earth, I'd just like to point out that Tipico - a German company BTW - is shelling out big money here. Renaming the beer garden AND one of the premium clubs has got to be very pricey indeed.

stanger, catfish9, KCbus and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's complaining? Goof for the Haslams that they've attracted such sponsorship. Just goes to show (again) what a failure Precourt was. My only point was that owning the Crew is a business, and that businesses exist for one reason: to make money. Or, rather, if they don't they can't remain businesses for very long. But whether sponsorship dollars get poured back into player talent, VIP stadium suites, those Precourt likeness urinal mints that I think would be so popular, or a 100 other things, I have no idea. Personally, I hope they invest in TV broadcast production values and a new wardrobe for Neil Sika. But I don't expect this to have any effect on ticket prices. The Crew will price tickets at what people are willing to pay. Why wouldn't they?

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should only cost about $5 at Goodwill...;);):ROFLMAO:

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4160 Kryptonite, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    What's it been, about six months since the debrand? There's still roundel stuff in various area retail locations. When they dumped the hardhat logo, that stuff was pulled rather quickly. I remember how it popped back up at a thrift store or two. You'd think by now, Target, Walgreen's, et al. would have the new stuff.

But we know the launch was botched.

(Yeah, several Walgreen's still have roundel.)

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spotted at Meijer today.

I'm really really hoping with recent apparent departure of Croci that they have rethought their mistake and are figuring out how they are going to dump the Caribiner and doing something else. Otherwise they should have new logo everywhere as the season is just a month away. Fingers crossed this dumb ass C is very short lived. 20220123_151135.jpg

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those (and one or two others) were at my Meijer on N Hamilton a couple months back.

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really kind of remarkable that if you went to the MLS Crew shop online, you'd really have no idea what the team logo is. I assume most would guess that it's the roundel as that's what you see available in the widest variety of items. There's not even one type of cap with the new logo. No jersey, either, except for the rainbow warm-up jersey from last season.

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing adidas branded with the new logo available on the Crew online store, same with New Era and Columbia.

The only apparel brands that have new logo merch available are Fanatics and Antigua, but those are print-on-demand items.

I am very curious why there's such a delay, and don't say "supply chain" because a stroll around the other franchise's offerings shoots that down. We're 8 months past the re-rebrand, there should be merchandise available from the big league-partner brands.

MLSinCleveland, foozer and JimmyD2 repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just add that to the list of things which they don't feel the need to explain.

They love to talk about communication but the execution is near zero.

They went 2/3 of last season without a uniform for sale. We can guess the reasons but they never addressed it.

One of these days someone will release the new shirt designs - it's well past due now - and we'll know if they're sticking with that execrable piton or have decided they'd prefer to have something people might buy.

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is not a huge drop of Columbus Crew merchandise during the vaunted MLS Jersey Week it will be a sign that there is no merchandise to drop. That's the only plausible explanation at this point: they're holding it for a major release. But given that the home opener is in 33 days and there hasn't been a single hint, leak, advertisement, hype piece, or peep is not instilling confidence.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One must remember that this is not always all on the team. adidas has a bit to say here, and they've not always been good about having product before the season in the past.

18. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All training gear that the players are wearing in preseason have the new logo. Just as we were told would happen.

19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the adidas apparel exists but it's not being sold to fans.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely a different supply chain. The team gear is (almost always) a lot better than any replica gear--even the so-called "authentic" stuff--with tighter knits, etc.. There was one season when it was not (2010, perhaps) as the hems weren't even sewn (some kind of iron on) and the shirts were very stiff. But that was the exception rather than the rule.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very few MLS clubs have shared info about their new kits for the '22 season. So I don't think we're unusual there. The overall lack of much of anything branded with the new logo is bizarre, though. Not that I'm itching to spend a penny on anything branded with that thing, but still. You'd think the club would be hawking t-shirts, onesies, hats, etc.

LaMacchia and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's most ridiculous about this is that the Haslams should've seen the backlash coming given their experience with the abysmal late 2010s Browns uniforms (I think the team shop is still trying to clear out those jerseys).

TKyle repped this.
  23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've given it time.

I'm still not a fan of the shirts/hoodies with the really small logos on the front and center. Jonathan Mensah is being interviewed now (taped) and he had a great hoodie with the logo against a small black rectangular background.

It honestly looks like the black background was photoshopped on.

Why not, oh, make the whole thing black and then make the logo bigger than half an index card?

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...nationally acclaimed soccer club branding expert Erika Bjork and internationally renowned soccer crest designer Matthew Wolff, who has created some of the world’s most iconic soccer badges and logos for many of the sport’s major brands and clubs."

This isn't bad (name is cheesy but fans chose it). Significantly better than what Wolff dumped on us.

[​IMG]