Columbus Crew :: 2011 Salaries

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, May 7, 2011.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  2. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy $*!t. I knew Medoza was overpaid but not that much.

Also, how is Duka getting 2.5 times over base? I know it's usually a bit higher, but that is crazy.

I expect a lot more from Rusmir now.

3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 8 in guaranteed compensation:

Mendoza: $595K
    Marshall: $320K
    Duka: $223K
    Ekpo: $222K
    Gaven: $209K
    Rusmir: $170K
    Hesmer: $163K
    Cunningham: $152K

4. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    money back please.

5. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some "value players" IMO:

CLB Balchan Rich D $ 42,000.00 $ 58,875.00
    CLB Burns Kevin M $ 42,000.00 $ 42,000.00
    CLB Francis Shaun D $ 42,000.00 $ 42,000.00
    CLB Heinemann Tommy F $ 42,000.00 $ 42,000.00
    CLB Miranda Sebastian D $ 110,000.00 $ 115,000.00
    CLB Renteria Emilio F $ 120,000.00 $ 121,875.00

6. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    The only concern I have here, given that we knew about Andres, is Rusmir's number. I was interested to see what it would be, and had been hoping it was going to be more like 100k.

Now I know on the face of it, that's a completely ridiculous statement on my part. After all, we're discussing other peoples' money here, livelihoods, etc. Who the hell am I, right? And I get that. But I would've thought a journeyman plucked from the Romanian 2nd division or wherever would've fetched a lower number. Significantly lower, in fact.

I guess the only other thing I'd like to know now are what are the terms of the deal. Is it 1 guaranteed with option years? Or is it 2 guaranteed? I can't believe it really.

7. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Beat me to it

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, I thought Rusmir would be making Bisaku type money. I think he was around 60K when he was here. Instead Rusmir is making Hejduk type money.

9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  10. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    that's not a word one used to hear when speaking of MLS salaries.

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    not salaries, just one in particular

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Rusmir is earning his paycheck. Dude is calm and cool in central mid and makes good decisions with the ball most of the time.

13. Crewed

Crewed Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Algonac, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright Side: At least we never signed Nery Castillo. Did you see what the Fire are still paying him?

14. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wasn't Duka a GA player? Wonder if that's where the extra salary is coming from.

15. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hesmer should march right into the front office and kick McCullers in the balls for Rusmir making more than him. Has to create some friction when a no name 2nd div player comes in and automatically makes more than most of the team, especially veteran players who have already proved what they can do.

16. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Hesmer? What about theRobbieRogers? I know there are times the guy makes me want to punch a puppy, but given the fact he's a former MSL First XI/borderline MNT guy, I'm not sure I'd be happy being the 5th highest paid midfielder on the team. No wonder he's already making his "get out of town at the end of the season" plans.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Not sure I understand the Rusmir hate. He is the best box to box midfielder the Crew have, or have seen in quite a few years. They don't come often or cheap. He has made an immediate impression, and will only get better as he gels more with the rest of the team.

Anyone see how much Ekpo makes? Now there is something to moan about.

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    He is still young, sure he could make more abroad or even for another MLS team, but with that comes pressure. We'll see how well his career pans out.

19. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I was going to say I wasn't hating, because to be fair to him he really has shown well thus far. But then, using loaded words like 'journeyman' and '2nd division' such as I did and all but insinuating that I think he's on too much, well, I'll hold my hand up here.

I do still believe we could've found better value for money but he's here now and he's fitted in well thus far, so fair play to him and the staff. And also his agent. I'm impressed the way he's responded to being dropped and working his way back into the team.

20. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I as well dont get the Dejan Hate. Hes workmanlike, seems to get his role and works to improve it without going to the media to bitch (Andy Iro, Robbie, etc.) and is doing better in his spot on the field that what we had before him (Moffat).
    Plain and simple fact is the FO is batting .500 in the offseason thus far. They got winners with Miranda and Rusmir and a loser in Mendoza. (He counts for 2).

21. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rusmir ends up being more consistent by the end of the year and stops giving the dang ball away so easily, he may be worth it. Still, there's no way we're paying market value for him coming from a Romanian D2 team.

Ekpo is horrendously overpaid.

22. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long is Mendoza's contract? Seriously paying over half a million for that guy? yikes....

23. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    For me it boils down to that really. I look at that complete goober Lindpere, I hate to say it but speaking objectively he's one of my favorite players in the league. And he doesn't even make six figures. Plus he had a higher pedigree and better CV coming into the league.

And then I look around at the rest of the league and all of the bargain freebies on 42k and I can only scratch my head as to why we had to make this investment.

Look, I think Rusmir is a fine player and he's already done well for himself and I hope there's more to come. But at that price, I would suggest we're going to need to adjust our expectations, particularly given the vitriol headed Mendoza's way.

24. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I think what we are seeing is the effects of the new CBA. You are going to see salaries start to rise over the next few years as the teams get more cap space every year. Obviously not everyone negotiates every off season so you'll see some people still grandfathered with older contracts.

Most of us are used to seeing players in the 150,000 to 250,000 range to be near if not at all star caliber. Now they are just average or above average.

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    How close is marshall to DP status in terms of salary?