Colorado - San Jose (Saturday, 8/24) postgame thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Congratulations on a well-deserved Rapids win. :(

-G

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I have many thoughts on this afternoon:

First, Veronica Paysee!! Woohoo!! Una latina muy caliente!!

Landon Donavan is fun to watch, he is not "soft" at all,

Carrieri is getting harder to ignore,

Beautiful header for a goal by Kingsley,

Mastroeni is really good,

Could Graziani be a bigger puss somehow?

Anyway, great game and a great result.

3. Joel Schwaab

Joel Schwaab New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I haven't seen much of the Rapids, but you guys really showed well today. CC has really improved his game since last year. I didn't believe a lot of the support he's been receiving on these boards, but today he worked really hard and his finish was class.

Pablo is an absolute rock in the midfield. His calm and poise really established the back for CO today.

I was dissappointed to not see Spenny play, but hey, if you guys keep this form up, I'll look forward to seeing Spencer and the Rapids do battle in the playoffs. Well done.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oye Veronica! Mi Amor!

Carrieri has to be a top callup for the United States National Team. His finish on the goal was superb. He was getting a bit tired at the end with a few of the offside calls, where he was a few too many steps behind the defensive line.

Did I mention Veronica? Yes I did!!!!!!!

5. davidfooty

davidfooty New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Yes we deserved the win no doubt. I've always been impressed with Carrieri, he is a hard worker and tries to make things happen.

Kingsley's goal was pretty. this lad has talent just needs to wisen up a bit.

If anyone has a tape of the game I'd love to borrow it.

dshepher@netzero.com

davidfooty

P.S. It was nice to see the local lad Trembly come on and earn the PK.

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had to drop into this board and offer congrats--great game, well played. You guys took it to SJ, and you didn't let up. A well-deserved W.

Carrieri is looking like something for real.
    Pablo is the Man.

PS Veronica, thanks for your wardrobe selection today!

7. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Which team was this?!?!

I was critical of the Rapids after the fiasco at LA, but if the real test is how you respond, Woo Hoo. I can't remember a better match by the Rapids, and against the best team by far in the MLS. The first few minutes went SJ's way, but after that, it was all Raps. I know the big question here is if, but IF they play like that, they can play with anybody. Chung is a rock. He brings the ball through the middle, consistently setting up our offense. Carrieri just scores, and Kingsley is turning into quite a player. Add to that Pablo in the middle, and you have the makings of a great team. If......... By the way, can anyone tell me, is it the turf, Chris' boots, or does he just over cut? He is one of my favorite players and people, but he must have slipped down 10 times today. The field looks great, but I see a lot people slipping.
    Boy, I wish they played tomorrow. Now, if they could just play like this against Dallas. Go Raps!!!!

8. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Trembly played! And he was fouled for the penalty. Can you believe it?

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Congrats on a fine game by your Rapids. Very classy from start to finish.

Does anyone else think that Carrieri is starting to look a little "Faustino"? With the pointy chin, nose and hair, I kept thinking back to Bono on U2's "Lemon" video.......deja vu.

10. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Carrieri, Kingsley and Stewart are the best aspects of this season so far. Also Mastroeni's continued development.

Seth Trembly's mom showed more pace than him in the charity game, but I think she is still spent from when he took her to the prom.

11. MAR10

MAR10 New Member

May 12, 1999
    gainesville, fl
    great game

yes CC played great, as did the whole team. i think they understand now that if they make the runs, Valderrama will deliver the ball. no one mentioned the superb play of Carlos. his first assist was great and if they had scored instead of getting a penalty he would have had another great assist. great passing game as well from the whole team, i love the way they control the game.

12. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a few minutes late to the game (10 minutes to be precise---d'oh!), so I missed the first goal and intros and stuff like that. Who was the ref? What did everyone think of him? He seemed like he had really gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. Seems like I could hear him mouthing off even more than CC!

I took a non-soccer-fan friend w/me to the game, and she kept asking, "Why did the play stop? What did the ref call?" and a lot of the time I really wasn't sure what he had called.

But it was a great game. Probably the best game I've seen this year. Even though Kramer *was* lost in space for a while. Kramer has done well, but I still look forward to getting Garlick back in goal. Hats off as usual to Pablo, Carlos, CC, and Chungy. You know, I used to always wince if Spenny wasn't a starter, but now I know they can make it without him when they need to. Very solid squad!

13. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I had a blast yesterday watching the Rapids overpower San Jose. If Pablo can keep himself on the field and not suspended, he really is able to be the difference in the defense. He can take guys off the ball and read the attack, breaking up passes or blocking a path. If Hankinsin did nothing else, bringing in Pablo in the dispersal draft was genius.
    Carrieri is finding a scoring touch to equal is hustle lately. That bodes well. Has anyone looked over on the San Jose thread? They hate that guy. He must have really pissed them off when he first showed up there, kind of like the way he made some waves here last year. If he keeps going the way he has been, that will be long forgotten. And San Jose has that loud mouthed punk Lagos. It is amazing that guy is not carded more. It looked like he got in Zak Ibsen's face for kicking the ball out of bounds when Carrieri went down. Pure class.
    Someone let me know, was Kingsley's goal the first one the Rapids have gotten off a corner this year? If it isn't, it has to be an extremely rare one.
    BTW, Veronica is a stone hottie. Is it wrong to pander as bad as MNF with Michele Stark? My mind says yes but my eyes said no.

14. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    Yes.

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my points on the game was to mention that the Rapids don't seem to be creating anything on their corner kicks until Kingsley scored and what do you know, it was the first this year for the Rapids.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to see many games this year due to relocation to New England, but I did notice the fact that Colorado had a good number of corner kick opportunities and didn't do squat with them. Is there anyone else that they target besides Titus, at the far post, with a looping, slow cross?

Other than that, great game, I'd just like to see the Rapids do a bit better with set pieces...

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Trembly sighting!! That guy needs a haircut!!

Well done Rapids. Solid game all the way around.

And not a bad crowd for an afternoon game as well.

17. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Are you kidding? Those lunch boxes are awesome. My kids haven't stopped playing with them.

18. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Would like to throw in what a welcome sight it was to see Jeff Stewart start and play an excellent game. Hopefully whatever reason Hankinson had for sitting him for so long is now moot.

19. kbarrett

kbarrett New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    LOL. I haven't stopped playing with mine. I brought it to work. lol. Great game. Entertaining.

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I passed on the lunchbox and went for the dessert and met Veronica! Arriba!!!!!!!!

21. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    And what kind of box was Veronica toting?

Cough.

22. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Set Pieces

The problem with set pieces is that the Rapids need a step ladder to reach the ball. Truly, they have so little height, that when they play teams like LA, with Lalas and Califf, they look a little like David and Goliath. They got Musa Shannon with that in mind, but after the first match, he has disappeared, injured or otherwise. They have been often forced to use indirect attacks from set pieces, and that has not been well organized. I was thrilled to see Kingsley finish off a corner, but one in a season is pretty dismal. Nonetheless, that was as good a performance as I have ever seen from the Raps.

Go Raps!!! Clinch on Wednesday!

23. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Had to tape the game as I was called to Lincoln on Saturday to cover some college football game. That was by far one of the more confident and composed performances I've seen from the Rapids in a long while. Hopefully we can keep similar control of future games without the little lulls in the middle.

I've got a copy of the game - you even get the US-Jamaica friendly for free! I'll see what I can do about making a copy ... but only if you promise never to use the word "lad" in my forum again. :p

24. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    I'm not the original guy who asked, but I'd love to get a copy of Saturday's game. I've got season tix, but had to miss this week's game due to a conflict with the U-12 boy's team I'm coaching this fall... the one time we don't have a morning game, and the Rapids don't have an evening game. Grrr.

And, when I thought I had changed the Tivo to grab the game, I was wrong... so I came home expecting to watch the game and got to see the WUSA finals from PAX instead. Good game, but not the one I wanted to see. :(

Anyway, my wife took our daughter (for the lunchbox) and a neighbor, so she gave me the hightlights. I also had three passes to a meet-and-greet with Landon Donovan, so they went to that and got my MLS ball signed for me. Not a total loss of a day... but I didn't get to see the game!!

Just let me know what you need for a copy of the game.

-- jeff

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff, glad to see you made it over here from rec.sport.soccer!